Question regarding drop-tune

Tanax

Inspired
Hello!

I just purchased an Axe-FX 2 from G66 and will hopefully be getting it in 1-2 months if everything goes as planned.
I have a question though.

Will I be able to somehow tune down my guitar with some effect? I know that there are pedals that achieve this like the Morpheus Droptune Pedal, that allows you to have a guitar tuned in E with drop D and then with the pedal have it output as D with drop C instead. I think I read somewhere that you can do this with Axe-FX 2 with the pitch-shifter, will that work for my needs? Will its sound be okay or will it just be weird and not very natural?

- Marcus

Last edited:
Yes you can. The "pitch" effect-block will be able to do it (with the fixed harmonizer).

I own a Morpheus Droptune, and the Axe-Fx II does it just as well but.. I don't really use it. It just doesn't sound natural, especially if you go lower than 2 half-steps.
It might work fine for you, and I'm pretty sure an audience wouldn't notice it, but for me it's just a cool feature.
If you really want to artificially tune down your guitar, the Axe-FX II is the best choice.

Here's a video of a guy using it:
Axe fx drop tune pitch shifter! - YouTube

I've also heard good things about the James Tyler Variax guitars, but have no hands-on experience.

Yes you can. The "pitch" effect-block will be able to do it (with the fixed harmonizer).

I own a Morpheus Droptune, and the Axe-Fx II does it just as well but.. I don't really use it. It just doesn't sound natural, especially if you go lower than 2 half-steps.
It might work fine for you, and I'm pretty sure an audience wouldn't notice it, but for me it's just a cool feature.
If you really want to artificially tune down your guitar, the Axe-FX II is the best choice.

Here's a video of a guy using it:
Axe fx drop tune pitch shifter! - YouTube

I've also heard good things about the James Tyler Variax guitars, but have no hands-on experience.

Thank you for the reply!
Quite honestly I would most likely use it for just what I posted, dropping it from E-Drop D to a D-Drop C for the occasional times when I want to play BFMV, KSE, whatever else metal bands using Drop C.

The only reason I am doing it is because I only have 1 guitar and I can't be arsed to re-tune it all the time XD lol.
It would not be as a replacement for a 7-string as the guy in the video is using it for - although it still sounded quite good.

But cheers for the info! I will check it out once I've gotten the Axe-FX 2 and see how it works!

No problem.

I must admit that, after playing around with it some more, I find it a lot better than I remember. As long as you don't let your chords (it gets a bit wobbly), it's not bad.
There's definitely a difference from the "non-shifted" sound, but it IS usable.

No problem.

I must admit that, after playing around with it some more, I find it a lot better than I remember. As long as you don't let your chords (it gets a bit wobbly), it's not bad.
There's definitely a difference from the "non-shifted" sound, but it IS usable.

Definitely good to hear! :D
Can't wait until I get it so I can start fiddling around with it!

Back
Top Bottom