question re: cab block?

Inspired
hi guys i am on the waiting list for the axe-fx 2. i've researched it for a long time now and decided to take the plunge. the deal breakers for me on the original axe fx were: no headphone socket, no re-amping.
some of my questions have been answered on the wiki on the cabinet block. i wish this info had been put in the MANUAL.

i wondered, what's the point in having mic models, when a mic's been used to create an impulse, thus colouring the sound? the answer was the axe's cab impulses were created with a earthworks mic, which is designed to be as neutral as possible.

my other question: what if you have an impulse created with an SM57? it would be rather strange to use a mic model on this as the mic model is already inherent in the impulse. answer: when using a non-neutral mic, switch the mic model to 'off.'

now... on to my question: the cab block has a 'room reverb' built into it. what is the point of this when there's already a reverb block with 'room' reverb?
is this simply to save block real estate?
you guys that are recording direct, either analogue or USB: do you use the built-in room reverb or the one on the reverb block, or both? is there a difference betweeen them, does one sound better than the other?

i live in europe and have no idea when i'll get an axe! originally, it's supposed to be here by november, but i reckon the wait could be longer. i've always been disappointed with the software sims, so fed up now that i was just going to buy a versatile amp head and use it in conjunction with either a palmer speaker simulator or impulse responses. but when you see the price of a decent head, it can cost more than the axe, which is far more versatile, so i decided on the axe. i can't stand software modellers now, as far as i'm concerned the axe is a unique exception. in fact, if it didn't exist, i wouldn't bother with any other digital/modelling gear. i thoroughly agree with cliff when he says that the amps on other modellers just sound like cartoons of the amps they represent.

i still find myself thinking how can one man [i.e. cliff] do all this when line6 can't?? but then again, some of you guys on the forum say line6 are not aiming for the same high-end, higher priced market of the axe.

in the meantime, i've been through the manual quite often, so that if it does arrive one day, i have a pretty good starting point. the last bit i did in the manual was the chapter about modifiers. this will lend awesome control and help create unique effects!

i wish though, that a simple metronome could be built into the axe, though. so you can do your scales etc, without having to have it plugged into anything else.

thanks for reading guys.

The room on the cab block is set up to be simple, easy, and -- yes, to save block real estate.

You can easily create a practice patch with a metronome using the synth and the sequencer.

Back
Top Bottom