Question on which low cut/high cut to use on the cab block...

musicdev20

Hi guys,

dumb question here most likely, and sorry if this has already been covered (I couldn't find anything answering this question directly). My question is which low cut and high cut do you use on the cab block? Is it the one on the actual cab tab? Or do you use the "filters" one on the preamp tab? Do you use both?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

dumb question here most likely, and sorry if this has already been covered (I couldn't find anything answering this question directly). My question is which low cut and high cut do you use on the cab block? Is it the one on the actual cab tab? Or do you use the "filters" one on the preamp tab? Do you use both?

Thanks in advance.

I generally do it in the preamp page because I usually mix between two IRs for my tone. Then I can go into each individual cab and shape even further if I need to. Usually cutting the low end a little more aggressively in a cabinet that uses a ribbon Mic.

Usually my general cabinet settings look something like
Preamp - Low cut 80, Hi cut 7500
Cab 1. Usually a 57 mic, no cuts
Cab 2. Usually a r121 mic, usually a low cut at 100 (gets rid of boominess on palm mutes, especially in small rooms with a low end node)

Only that of the preamp is enough for me, Low :150 hz -12 db/oct ,High : 7500 khz -12db/oct
for the scene I add the global parametric corrections on OUT1/2/3 for the Fletcher Munson effect .....

Last edited:
Originally, there was only one Low-Cut and High-Cut parameter in the Cab block ('Pre-Amp' page). People asked for the ability to Low and High Cut each individual IR within the Cab block. This feature was eventually added. But to keep existing presets from being altered, the original 'Cut' parameters in the 'Pre-Amp' page were kept along with the individual 'Cut' parameters. So we now have both.

Originally, there was only one Low-Cut and High-Cut parameter in the Cab block ('Pre-Amp' page). People asked for the ability to Low and High Cut each individual IR within the Cab block. This feature was eventually added. But to keep existing presets from being altered, the original 'Cut' parameters in the 'Pre-Amp' page were kept along with the individual 'Cut' parameters. So we now have both.
Thanks Moke,

This makes sense to me now. So essentially, if I were to use the cab tab settings and set both IRs to the same values, this would have the same effect as just setting the low and high cut in the preamp tab?

Thanks Moke,

This makes sense to me now. So essentially, if I were to use the cab tab settings and set both IRs to the same values, this would have the same effect as just setting the low and high cut in the preamp tab?
Yes. The original parameters are pretty much redundant now, but simpler to use. But it would have made a mess just removing them. I typically use the original, unless I specifically need to treat each IR very differently, like in cases where I am using two IRs in a single stereo cab (FM3) to process two different signal paths.

Last edited:
Playing with DynaCabs now and I haven’t touched the low/high cut filters on either the cabs or the pre-amp tabs yet. Have been finding what I want by simply adjusting mic positions…so far.

So…as my head still won’t get itself around this…

Using @2112’s PEQ block in a preset do I really need to worry/think about further cuts at the cab block - and what’s the score with 3rd Party IR’s - are they “pre-treated” at source and essentially need less tweaking than the factory stuff?

Or does it differ from vendor to vendor?

Ooh look…a rabbit hole :)

Actually. Here’s what I do on my FM9 (without DynaCabs available yet) ;-)

Start with just low/high cuts in the pre-amp. If it doesn’t quite get you what you’re looking for…move those cuts off the pre-amp and over to the cab tab. Then, come back and maybe add smaller cuts at same or slightly different frequencies on the pre-amp tab to layer cuts a bit more subtly.

I’ve found this layering technique works well when you are using multiple IRs on the same cab block because it provides more control.

Example: I have a pair of 3rd Party IRs. One is with a SM57 and the other is a R121. The R121 is a bit “woofy” on the bottom end. So, I applied a higher low cut to it on the cab tab and then some amount of high/low cut on the pre-amp tab as well for the combined IRs tone.

Hope that helps. :)

Actually. Here’s what I do on my FM9 (without DynaCabs available yet) ;-)

Start with just low/high cuts in the pre-amp. If it doesn’t quite get you what you’re looking for…move those cuts off the pre-amp and over to the cab tab. Then, come back and maybe add smaller cuts at same or slightly different frequencies on the pre-amp tab to layer cuts a bit more subtly.

I’ve found this layering technique works well when you are using multiple IRs on the same cab block because it provides more control.

Example: I have a pair of 3rd Party IRs. One is with a SM57 and the other is a R121. The R121 is a bit “woofy” on the bottom end. So, I applied a higher low cut to it on the cab tab and then some amount of high/low cut on the pre-amp tab as well for the combined IRs tone.

Hope that helps. :)
I also do a bit of surgical PEQ application right before my output block to ring out one or two problematic frequencies usually between 2.5 kHz and 3.5 kHz (for my situation). Lower those one or two problem points with a very narrow Q between -2 to -4 dB to remove a bit of harshness and digitalness that comes out more prominently at higher volumes. YMMV. :)

(I am still doing the PEQ part with DynaCabs as well on my FM3)

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

conventionally, as in most videos etc, it is the ones right on the cab page..

as you can see from above discussion, there are many ways to skin a cat.. lol

The minor issue with using something on the cab page is if you are auditioning or finding a cab, resulting in needing to adjust every time. Using either input eq or output eq on the amp block obviates this, but again that is an irritant if you are also fishing for an amp..lol

A dedicated PEQ immediately prior to the cab block isolates this function from the amp and cab blocks

So…as my head still won’t get itself around this…

Using @2112’s PEQ block in a preset do I really need to worry/think about further cuts at the cab block - and what’s the score with 3rd Party IR’s - are they “pre-treated” at source and essentially need less tweaking than the factory stuff?

Or does it differ from vendor to vendor?

Ooh look…a rabbit hole :)
Nope. Being the peq is already blocking frequencies after a certain range. Let's say they're set to block at 6500hz those are your cuts and you shouldn't have to do it in the cab.

From what I understand in the manual, the cuts hidden in the preamp tab are master cuts for that specific cab block channel. If I cut 100 to 8000 in the preamp tab, I don't hear a change in the actual IR cuts until I pass those numbers.

I could be rambling or have already stated something that has already been mentioned... or just need to stay in my lane. 🫡

Keep in mind that EQ filters are not brick wall chops of the signal at a specific frequency. The cutoff frequency is at the -3 dB point in the curve. The signal still passes well beyond that point with increasing amounts of cut or boost.

1689213042042.png

The slope determines how much boost or cut you get per octave beyond the cutoff frequency

1689213119086.png

If a filter does not have a labeled slope, it is typically a first order or 6 dB per Octave filter, which is pretty gradual.

When you stack filters one after another, the order or slope increases if their cutoff frequency is the same. Two 6 dB/8va filters in series is the same as one 12 dB/8va filter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom