Question on recording both 'dry' and effects at once using fx out.

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
I admit it, I am lazy, wellll, actually, I am really, really overworked right now. So I was hoping to get an answer for this before i 1) Upgrade my FW, 2) Install Axe-Edit 3) struggle to implement this idea without benefit of greater minds than mine, and change all my patches.

Here's the scenario: I would like to ALWAYS record two paths into my DAW and at other studios: 1) Basically just my amp(s) and Cab(s) 2) From the end of the chain, with all effects.

Were I not using the effects loop for my PCM-70 (and it is in different places in different patches), I'd simply have a 2nd route out to it. Can't do it - ALL my patches use FX out at times - switched in and out via an IA switch.

BUT, since the PCM-70 is a MONO input device, and I feed it with Output 2 Left, could I mult the output just after amp(s)/Cab(s) to Output 2 Right?

But: Can you control out 2 Left and Right independently??? Can I feed Out 2 left and Out 2 Right from DIFFERENT places within the patch? I've never tried it. Seems unlikely, but given the power of the Axe, not impossible.

It seems that if I *could* feed these independently, I could have a constant 'pre-effects' output there. But even if I could, I presume it'd only work if the FX loop were on - which complicates things: My Liquid Foot would have to control whether my PCM-70 was in bypass or not - i.e. I'd have to keep the effects loop ON at all times as far as the AXE II was concerned, and control whether the PCM-70 was part of the sound or not by sending MIDI to it to turn bypass on and off - not ideal - but DO-able, I think. In fact, sorta a little lame, but do-able, at least with a Liquid Foot. I think...

Of course, if I can't feed them independently, I am just plain out of luck, unless someone has a better idea (please!).

So gents (and ladies): a) Does anyone have a better idea? b) Does anyone see why this should or should not work, upsides, downsides, etc.?

Thanks a million.

Yes, you can route 2 signals from different spots to the FXL and balance them L/R to go to the desired Out 2 channel.

Instead of sending MIDI to the PCM-70 you could modify the routing so a CC can mute the signal before/after FXL and let it through in a separate parallel path.

Yes, you can route 2 signals from different spots to the FXL and balance them L/R to go to the desired Out 2 channel.

Instead of sending MIDI to the PCM-70 you could modify the routing so a CC can mute the signal before/after FXL and let it through in a separate parallel path.

WOW. a) So cool that the Axe is THAT flexible! b) so cool you answered so quickly! And so thoroughly!

Sounds like what I need. I guess I'm out of excuses - time to reprogram all of my patches! As to the CC and parallel path, that sounds more complex than a bypass cc to the PCM-70 - assuming my ancient PCM-70 can even perform a bypass from a MIDI command - if not, I will have to ponder your advanced tweakage!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom