Question for the tube amp gurus here...

wezx

Experienced
I'm hoping some of you more experienced "tweakers" may have some advice for me.

I am always in search of a "5th Element" tone...in other words, a general purpose tone...a really great beefy lead tone (not too heavy) that will clean up when rolling back the guitar volume knob to an almost clean so that it can be used for a ton of tones without changing patches, just by varying the guitar volume knob

For this, I'm predominantly using a Bassman with the BB in front. Master set around 8 (as per some suggestions here for Fender amps). The lead tone has a lot of sustain and gain and it cleans up quite a bit when rolling back the volume, but I'd really like to get it to clean up even more.

Here's the question: Are there any of the "Advanced settings" that would heighten the distortion reduction effect of rolling down the guitar volume knob and get the tone to clean up even more?

I hope that makes some kind of sense? :?

Try lowering one or more of the following
- the BB Drive and
- the BB Level
- the Bassman Drive

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly...Obviously, I'm well aware that rolling off the drive in the pedal or the amp will reduce the distortion.

What I'm asking is whether any of the ADVANCED amp parameters, namely those dealing with the power amp section, might have an effect on how quickly distortion is reduced by TURNING DOWN THE GUITAR VOLUME KNOB. Hence giving a lead tone at full guitar volume and a clean (or cleaner) tone at reduced guitar volume.

Increase sag to "saturate" while playing loud.
Increase B+ to add "tightness" to the sound dulled by sag.
Try changing damp & master.

I think you're dealing with the wrong amp. The 'wreck is able to clean up wonderfully, it's easier to tame down it's high & distortion rather than increasing the "clean headroom" of the Bassman.

Thank you...I will try this...the problem is I really like the sound of the Bassman...don't remember really liking the Trainwreck when I first was going through all the models...will give it another go...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the Trainwreck...just watched some Glen Kuykendall clips...that's exactly the kind of guitar volume knob tone changes I'm talking about...I will work with the Trainwreck and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip!

WOW, got a really nice usable tone with the Trainwreck...cut the bass as it was kind of "flubby" at high drive settings and cut the treble and presence as it was a bit biting...turned up the master a bit too. Switching back and forth between the Wreck and the Bassguy they are both cleaning up about the same when rolling off the volume...go figure. Now, I can't decide which one I like better! Man I hate tweaking amps! :lol: This always happens...can't decide which tone I like better! :?

Do not exagerate with gain and master.
For overdriven sound I prefer a drive in front of it. Sound too fuzzy, otherwise...

What I would do is control the gain of the amp with the envelope follower. That way, your volume changes will have more effet. It could take some time to tune the envelope follower so that it feels right, but it will get you right where you want.

I suggest you try turning MV down and gain up in small increments. Also, don't be afraid to turn up Sag quite a bit.

To my ears, it appears there's a Gain/MV combination "sweet spot" for the amp sims I presently use in 9.02. So far, I haven't gotten good overdriven results from the '59 Bassguy, whereas the previous "Blues" version worked very well for that purpose. Right now, I'm using the Brownface for my crunchier Fender sounds, but that is subject to change as I explore 9.02 further.

Back
Top Bottom