Question for the Metal guys

claxor

Power User
Just got my Ultra, and I am experimenting with it through the power section of my Engl Powerball and Mesa cab. I see a lot of potential here! :)

Planning to go the FRFR route and leave tubes behind. Do any metal players here use full range systems and are happy with their tone? Thinking of a FBT Verve 12ma or QSC K12. Maybe two in stereo, if I like it.

Thanks!

I only know about Periphery, they were using atomics I believe, and recently they've switched to mackie powered speakers.

Can't speak for the others but chances are at least some of them are doing the FRFR thing.

I love bulb's tone so if he can pull it off with FRFR it's good enough for me to go down the same route, but if you do more research into the subject be sure to share your findings!

I don't know about the others, but Meshuggah hasn't had a cab on their stage in years. The word is their Axe-FX tone is the best tone they've ever had. In any case, I don't see why FRFR wouldn't work as well for metal as it would for anything else.

For metal I would go with Verve12ma (2 of them)...or two QSC HPR 122i's (a little cheaper, but not quite as nice on the top end as the Verve).
QSC K12 can't keep up with palm muting as well as those other two speakers.

Cool input, guys! This is a tone adventure, that I hope has satisfying tones at the end of it!

Keep 'em coming!

BBN said:
For metal I would go with Verve12ma (2 of them)...or two QSC HPR 122i's (a little cheaper, but not quite as nice on the top end as the Verve).
QSC K12 can't keep up with palm muting as well as those other two speakers.

In Los Angeles, all I can find are FBT Verve 8ma's at one store, and QSC K12's at major stores like Guitar Center, West L.A. Music, etc.

The smaller speakers may work because I don't gig or compete with a live drummer...

Was leaning towards the QSC K12, but what you're saying is interesting. Palm muting clearly matters to me. When you say the K12 can't keep up, what does that mean? (Not questioning you, just trying to understand the problem it has)

If you can, go try the K12 and then go try the Verve 8ma.
You will find that the K12 gets a little flubby on the low end when you push it to a decent volume.
I compared the K12 against the QSC HPR122i in my basement for hours. I ended up returning the K12 because although the top end was clearer than the HPR....the low end chunk on the HPR really was what I wanted.

So I used the HPR for a while, and then went and auditioned a Verve 8ma (because that's all they had).
I had my HPR and the Verve 8ma side by side. The HPR had much more low end, but the Verve 8ma had a much clearer top end and the low end that the Verve 8ma did have, was very tight. So I ordered the Verve 12ma.
The Verve 12ma has a tiny bit less low end than the HPR, but the low end that the Verve does have, is plenty...and the top end clarity is much better than the HPR.
So....now I gig with the Verve...and I love it.

I wish I could find a Verve 15ma to try to, because I bet that sounds like a punch in the face.
Long story short, for heavy plam muting (which I love to do), the K12 couldn't keep up. I would have blown that thing up in 2 gigs.

BBN said:
If you can, go try the K12 and then go try the Verve 8ma.
You will find that the K12 gets a little flubby on the low end when you push it to a decent volume.
I compared the K12 against the QSC HPR122i in my basement for hours. I ended up returning the K12 because although the top end was clearer than the HPR....the low end chunk on the HPR really was what I wanted.

So I used the HPR for a while, and then went and auditioned a Verve 8ma (because that's all they had).
I had my HPR and the Verve 8ma side by side. The HPR had much more low end, but the Verve 8ma had a much clearer top end and the low end that the Verve 8ma did have, was very tight. So I ordered the Verve 12ma.
The Verve 12ma has a tiny bit less low end than the HPR, but the low end that the Verve does have, is plenty...and the top end clarity is much better than the HPR.
So....now I gig with the Verve...and I love it.

So, the verve 8ma really should sound pretty much the same as the 12ma, just smaller and a little less output? (Thinking of space limitations and if I decide to go stereo with two active frfr speakers)

Jase2677 said:
Go with a cab if you have one already.

It's a Mesa Boogie 1x12 EV cab.

Sounds very good, but the range of different sounds is appealing to me. Not just quality 4x12"s for metal, but cabs that work better for cleans or whatever influences me down the road. Also, the wedge design looks very attractive because I hate how my guitar cab sounds good off-axis but much better in my face. I know that could get a stand for the 1x12, but the FRFR wedge plan seems like a great solution.

Just want to see if metal players are personally happy with this unusual arrangement.

My point exactly. Remember than FOH is probably line signal and the Diezel cab (V30 cab) is just for stage volume.

You'll get better tones if you have higher price range. Me? Well I'm happy with cheap gear since I don't enjoy guitar tones with that high volumes anyways. This cheap Behringer active full range monitor works well with Redwirez cabs. This actually sounds pretty much the same as a 4x12 cab but this is not as loud. Well I haven't cranked the volume past noon since I don't need it higher but you get the point. It's 220W RMS and a 4x12 cab with V30s is 280W RMS.

Maybe, I'm not getting what you are saying...

My goal is to not use a traditional cab or tubes. My goal is to use a great sounding FRFR wedge solution. You should also note that I'm not currently gigging, so stage volume isn't a concern.

Back
Top Bottom