Question for FM9 users that know the FX8

Scooterjohn

Inspired
Ideally, this question is for someone familiar with both products.
I have three live rigs, but the one I’ve using most (lately) is the FX8 controlling a TC50.

I’ve heard the FM9 can also control a switching amp, but it being a modeler primarily…it might be less optimized to do so. I have to admit to binge watching FM9 videos on G66, and I’m impressed with all it can do…and how close it gets to some of my favorite tones.
My question is…can it do everything my FX8 can do?

If so, it seems like the perfect solution. I’d still have the option of using tubes while I get some scenes set for live gigs “sans amp”.

Stage volume is increasingly a problem these days, and amps are often running well below their sweet spots. Monitor mixes for guitar were already bad enough as it was.

The FM9 has no relay switches for non-midi amp switching, but in nearly every other respect, the FM9 is superior.

For your purposes, the answer is yes. I was a long time FX8 user and until recently I had an FM9. Everything the FX8 did I could do with the FM9, and then some (I also used Midi switching, not relays).

For your purposes, the answer is yes. I was a long time FX8 user and until recently I had an FM9. Everything the FX8 did I could do with the FM9, and then some (I also used Midi switching, not relays).
Hey tnjazz… as a long time FX8 user I have another question for you. I see that the FM9 can easily trim off overly high and low frequencies to avoid muddying up a live band mix, in the cab controls.

Did you ever use any of the eqs available in the FX8 to cut the excess highs and lows? I don’t have a handy frequency analyzer, but I’m pretty sure my live sound has too much of both.

Hey tnjazz… as a long time FX8 user I have another question for you. I see that the FM9 can easily trim off overly high and low frequencies to avoid muddying up a live band mix, in the cab controls.

Did you ever use any of the eqs available in the FX8 to cut the excess highs and lows? I don’t have a handy frequency analyzer, but I’m pretty sure my live sound has too much of both.

I actually never bothered with EQ on the FX8. Everything sounded great. I just EQ’ed my amp and rolled with it.

Back
Top Bottom