Question For AX8 Users

....and yes, I do play out and have had to lug a lot of gear. Fortunately, the AX8 has become my all in one solution without compromising tone in any way. Switching to the AX8 wasn't out of seeking to simplify my rig or make things easier, it was a decision based solely upon the quality and consistency of tone from venue to venue, week in and week out.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Yesterday I ordered my Axe8 from Fractal and I ordered a pair of Yamaha DRX 10’s.

I believe that will give me the most options. I probably will have both on the back line, but I can always use one as a monitor on the front of the stage.

Yesterday I ordered my Axe8 from Fractal and I ordered a pair of Yamaha DRX 10’s.

I believe that will give me the most options. I probably will have both on the back line, but I can always use one as a monitor on the front of the stage.
you will not be disappointed. i use the QSC K10.2 and 8.2 with the AX8 (soon FX iii) and an Atomic AA3 - all rocking insane tones!

That's exactly what I use and the DXR10's are fantastic. I use them in backline - I haven't had a gig since getting my AX8 where I have to go through FOH. But the AX8 with two DXR10's is a killer rig ;) (By the way I have the contours set to off and the LF cut at 100Hz)

i always thought "Backline" referred specifically to the gear provided to you by the gig or sound company. not anything you bring, regardless of where you place it. that's how it's used in conversation anyway in the pro circles here. *shrug*

Yes, sorry Chris, you're right. I was using wrong terminology. What I meant was using the AX8 with the DXR10s behind me, like I would in the 'old days' with an amp but now with the two DXR10s on stands, as opposed to running the AX8 into FOH and using a speaker like a DXR10 on the floor (or elsewhere!) as a monitor.

That's exactly what I use and the DXR10's are fantastic. I use them in backline - I haven't had a gig since getting my AX8 where I have to go through FOH. But the AX8 with two DXR10's is a killer rig ;) (By the way I have the contours set to off and the LF cut at 100Hz)

Where do you set levels on the DRX 10’s

I was thinking of setting them high and low on the AX8

Where do you set levels on the DRX 10’s

I was thinking of setting them high and low on the AX8
Start with the DXR volume knob down.

Turn the AX8 Out knob to 9 o clock.

Play and slowly turn up the DXR knob until it’s at your desired volume, or maybe just a bit under.

Now you can turn the AX8 knob up and down to adjust. Feel free to start with the AX8 higher that 9 o clock - that’s just a starting suggestion.

There’s no single “correct” setting as different rooms will require different volumes.

I have the output of the AX8 set to around 70% - that leaves me some room to increase the volume on stage if need be (and that has happened - I have had it as high as 80%). I have set all my levels of my presets so that they sit around 0dB on the AX8's output meters, and solos etc about +3dB. I started off setting the DXRs at -3dB but now I have them both set to "0" (12 o'clock). Our drummer is a hard hitter, so with the gigs we have been playing (pubs and clubs) where no-one if going through FOH (except the vocals and our keyboard player's keys) it is the drummer who determines how loud the rest of us has to be. But with these settings it all sounds good. A couple of us are using wireless so generally we will take a wander out front at sound check to make sure that levels are correct and balanced. In our band we have two vocalists, drums, bass, me on lead guitar and some keys (which I also put through the DXR10s with level set around -3dB), and keyboards (who also plays some guitar through a Fender solid state amp). One of our vocalists also plays some guitar (though a Peavy valve amp). So there is a lot of sound going on on stage, but with my AX8 and DXR10s it's all good!

I would say it’s pretty even among all options.

Maybe a slight edge to Full Range speakers. CLR, DXR, K series, NX12-SMA are some of the top choices.
My experience with the Mission Gemini II has been very good. For most gigs, I simply use it as I would and amplifier (ie Ax8 plugged in and the Gemini sits behind me). For gigs where I go to FOH, I use it as an accurate monitor. The sound is incredible and reproduction of the tones created on the Ax8 are also amazing. The one drawback is that the Gemini II weighs 62 pounds. So, it’s kind of a schlep.

......The one drawback is that the Gemini II weighs 62 pounds. So, it’s kind of a schlep.

That is one thing I love about the Atomic CLR NEO MKII. No idea if it sounds any better or worse than the Gemini II, but the CLR is only 33 pounds. For this reason I've seriously considered getting a 2nd CLR and using them for PA mains at smaller gigs. My EV SXa250 mains are 56.6 pounds each and are a royal pain to load in/out compared to the CLR.

Back
Top Bottom