question for all you IR experts?

fsharpminor

Inspired
can you reverse an IR/tonematch? Ie if you phase flip it will it remove the effect/eq curve on a given sound? I might be betraying my ignorance here....bear with me, Im not very well versed in ir useage/technology?

How do you see yourself using that? An IR authentically replicates the sound of a mic’ed guitar cab, and a Tone Match makes EQ adjustments to match a model with an external source. They’re both tools that give you a more realistic experience, so I can’t see a need to “undo” something that’s purpose is to give you more authenticity. I could be misunderstanding your question though.

Let me explain my thought process. I use out out 1 with power amp modeling on and a cab block to front of house. I then have out 2 without a cab block going to a power amp and a real cab. I use the global eq to try and reduce the "power amp" going into power amp effect. Would it be possible to get a tone match of the effect of power amp modeling, then reverse it and put it in a block over out 2 to achieve this more accurately? Obviously it wouldnt be perfect, but might it be 'better' than an eq approximation?

I see what you’re going for, but don’t think that’d be the way to go about it. The IR only represents the cabinet portion of this. There’s a way to turn off the power-amp modeling in the AxeFX, I can’t remember what it is but someone else will surely know it. I think it’s in the menu that has you choosing FRFR or power amp + cabinet, something like that.

Let me explain my thought process. I use out out 1 with power amp modeling on and a cab block to front of house. I then have out 2 without a cab block going to a power amp and a real cab. I use the global eq to try and reduce the "power amp" going into power amp effect. Would it be possible to get a tone match of the effect of power amp modeling, then reverse it and put it in a block over out 2 to achieve this more accurately? Obviously it wouldnt be perfect, but might it be 'better' than an eq approximation?
I ran my live setup just like this and it works great for giving FOH your tone while having a live cab onstage to give you the feel of a real amp/cab setup. I’m assuming that you’re using a tube power amp and you’re trying to essentially get rid of THAT color since the modeling’s power amp section’s color is accurate. Maybe look into getting a great solid state power amp so you don’t have any additional coloring to “undo.” I used a Matrix live and it was awesome!

What about a tone match?...using an amp block with the power amp modelling off and then the same patch with the modelling on as tone references? I tried solid state amps (matrix and then the smaller seymour duncan stuff) and always found it a bit 'stiff'. At the moment i go into the return of my boogie mark iv and use the global eq in the fractal and the graphic on the mark (which is over the power amp) and get a result I am very happy with. Its only for onstage monitoring anyway...foh gets the 'total' fractal sound and the engineer loves it. I was really just wondering whether it would work? Too much time on my hands in lockdown!

If you duplicate your amp block exactly and then lower Supply Sag to zero, that power section is disabled, isn't it?

thats right, was thinking about for my fm3.....which only runs one amp. Its much easier to do with the afx 3, but that doesnt leave our studio.

Back
Top Bottom