Question before buying FM3

You also have one EQ per Output (2 total), and one Gate per Input (2 total), and they can all be bypassed as needed to save CPU, plus you can dump the CPU hungry Reverb and use a Multi-Delay or Plex-Delay with diffusion up instead, which saves a lot of CPU (and sounds similar to a vintage Ursa Major Space Station digital reverb, i.e. a bunch of diffuse delays with regeneration).

The kitchen sink preset below features an acoustic path via an acoustic IR, and an electric path with a JCM800 tube preamp in the FX-Loop. This preset runs at 73% - 78% CPU with one Ultra-Rez IR and one Standard IR depending on the Pitch algorithm in use, and 69% - 74% CPU with all Standard IR's, so you save using the Standard IR Processing Window as well (maybe up the Proximity a little if needed to compensate?), and thanks to Greg Ferguson for a couple of ideas on further optimizing it which saved me a couple of Shunts and the Send/Receive blocks which can help as well (minimum Shunts and no Send/Receive)!

Last edited:
Those are different products, you may not need those eq blocks to sculpt your tone on the FM3.
There’s a lot of eq available here and there to shape the tone.

And sometimes you thought you gonna need a lot and then you just select an amp and a cab and boom don’t need anything except effects.
Interesting, with all the options available simple may be best.

Thanks for all the advice. Good news is I’ve decided to go for an FM3. Bad news is they’re sold out in Europe so on the waitlist.

Hi all, long time lurker here and have finally come to the decision to upgrade to an FM3 from my Headrush Gigboard. I have some questions just to help me confirm that the FM3 is the right choice (rather than the FM9). I prefer the smaller form factor and knowing how i use the 4 footswitches on the Headrush, three will be adequate for what I need.

My questions

1. will there be problems with cpu limits. I don't have a kitchen sink preset per se and am happy to make different presets for different songs in a set. My most "complex" preset would be something like this

input > comp > eq > k drive > phaser > amp > white drive > delay > chorus > verb > para eq > ir

I'm hoping this should be easily achievable within cpu constraints.

2. I do use 2 amps and ir's in some settings on the Headrush to thicken up the sound. I know dual amps and dual ir's are not possible with the FM3 (but possible with the FM9). I'm assuming with the tweakability of the amps within the FM3 and the ability to switch channels would make up for loosing this feature.

Any advice/observations to help confirm my decision much appreciated.
Thanks

I think you'll be OK.

All you need, plus Dual Cabs, and still below 80% CPU.

1682033001696.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom