Question before buying FM3

Madtone

Hi all, long time lurker here and have finally come to the decision to upgrade to an FM3 from my Headrush Gigboard. I have some questions just to help me confirm that the FM3 is the right choice (rather than the FM9). I prefer the smaller form factor and knowing how i use the 4 footswitches on the Headrush, three will be adequate for what I need.

My questions

1. will there be problems with cpu limits. I don't have a kitchen sink preset per se and am happy to make different presets for different songs in a set. My most "complex" preset would be something like this

input > comp > eq > k drive > phaser > amp > white drive > delay > chorus > verb > para eq > ir

I'm hoping this should be easily achievable within cpu constraints.

2. I do use 2 amps and ir's in some settings on the Headrush to thicken up the sound. I know dual amps and dual ir's are not possible with the FM3 (but possible with the FM9). I'm assuming with the tweakability of the amps within the FM3 and the ability to switch channels would make up for loosing this feature.

Any advice/observations to help confirm my decision much appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome!
Dual IRs are available in the FM3 cab block.

I think that you will find less need for the 2 eqs before the drive or after the amp. Both the drive and amp blocks have pre and/or post eq

You may need to choose between phaser and chorus by preset, but everything looks viable for the FM3 workflow and CPU constraints.

I have moved to the FM9 and I really enjoy the extra DSP and dual amps, but the FM3 is still a very powerful piece of engineering in a small footprint.

The resale value on the FM3 is quite high if you decide later to upgrade to the FM9.

I have the FM3 with FC6. I love it, best sound I’ve ever had. I constantly hit the cpu wall, and get by with using multiple presets of a core amp/cab combination using different effects. Most firmware updates increase cpu so I find it’s somewhat of a juggling match. It’s a very capable unit despite the constraints. It all comes down to what you can afford.

Before you buy the fm 9 instead of the fm 3, i d rather go for the top of the line product, the axe fx3. I have the fm 3 and the axe fx 3. Cpu is a bit limited on the fm 3, but its still a pleasure to work with.

Welcome!
Dual IRs are available in the FM3 cab block.

I think that you will find less need for the 2 eqs before the drive or after the amp. Both the drive and amp blocks have pre and/or post eq

You may need to choose between phaser and chorus by preset, but everything looks viable for the FM3 workflow and CPU constraints.

I have moved to the FM9 and I really enjoy the extra DSP and dual amps, but the FM3 is still a very powerful piece of engineering in a small footprint.

The resale value on the FM3 is quite high if you decide later to upgrade to the FM9.
Thanks, even after all my research I didn’t realise it had dual IRs. To be fair in the real world I’ve never used two amps at the same time 😃. Never use phaser and chorus together so no probs there. As for eq, sounds like there’s options, for me less is better with eq.

I have the FM3 with FC6. I love it, best sound I’ve ever had. I constantly hit the cpu wall, and get by with using multiple presets of a core amp/cab combination using different effects. Most firmware updates increase cpu so I find it’s somewhat of a juggling match. It’s a very capable unit despite the constraints. It all comes down to what you can afford.
I like the size of the FM3 and expect it to be as powerful (if not more) than the Gigboard which has plenty for me. I’d go for the FM9 if the benefits were worthwhile but at the moment I’m thinking compact outweighs the xtra the FM9 brings 😃

Before you buy the fm 9 instead of the fm 3, i d rather go for the top of the line product, the axe fx3. I have the fm 3 and the axe fx 3. Cpu is a bit limited on the fm 3, but it’s still a pleasure to work with.
Would be nice but for me portability is king. FM3 probably has more than enough for my needs. FX3 whilst a nice thought, would be overkill.

Curious what the 'White Drive' placed after the Amp is referring to?

B.T.W. I would put the Cab before all of the Post effects to keep them stereo (if needed). Unless you plan on sending a separate output to a physical Amp/Cab without the Cab sims via Out 2.
Basic Rig (FM3).png

Curious what the 'White Drive' placed after the Amp is referring to?

B.T.W. I would put the Cab before all of the Post effects to keep them stereo (if needed). Unless you plan on sending a separate output to a physical Amp/Cab without the Cab sims via Out 2.
View attachment 119521
Thanks, that shows me I could get a similar preset that would work within cpu limits. At the moment on the Gigboard I run mono and in series. I use the white drive after the amp for a solo volume boost so the overall gain input to the amp isn’t affected. I’m sure there would be a better way to do this on a FM3. It would definitely give me more routing options, maybe run post amp fx in parallel, something to explore when I get the unit 😃

Thanks, that shows me I could get a similar preset that would work within cpu limits. At the moment on the Gigboard I run mono and in series. I use the white drive after the amp for a solo volume boost so the overall gain input to the amp isn’t affected. I’m sure there would be a better way to do this on a FM3. It would definitely give me more routing options, maybe run post amp fx in parallel, something to explore when I get the unit 😃
Note that the preset @Moke posted is at 80% CPU... That's the edge of the danger zone.

Drive can use various amounts of CPU, but some are quite heavy. For your case as a boost, a Filter block will probably suffice and use less CPU.

Gotcha

You could use a 'Filter' block for a post amp volume boost with the added ability to add a bit of tone shaping, mid boost, cut some lows, etc..

Drive blocks can be pretty CPU hungry. The Filter blocks use very little CPU. Replacing the second Drive with a Filter allows for raising the quality/resolution of the Reverb or Cab blocks, or adding another effect, or two?

Note that the preset @Moke posted is at 80% CPU... That's the edge of the danger zone.

Drive can use various amounts of CPU, but some are quite heavy. For your case as a boost, a Filter block will probably suffice and use less CPU.
Thanks, guess when I start building rigs myself I can experiment to optimise. All useful tips to help confirm what’s the best solution for me.

Gotcha

You could use a 'Filter' block for a post amp volume boost with the added ability to add a bit of tone shaping, mid boost, cut some lows, etc..

Drive blocks can be pretty CPU hungry. The Filter blocks use very little CPU. Replacing the second Drive with a Filter allows for raising the quality/resolution of the Reverb or Cab blocks, or adding another effect, or two?
Top tips thanks. Confirms whatI thought that it’s more flexible than the Gigboard, which I must say for a first modeller, is pretty good and has convinced me modelling is the way forward. All this advice helps to make my decision between FM3 and FM9 easier. From what I’ve seen so far the FM3 will do just fine.

Top tips thanks. Confirms whatI thought that it’s more flexible than the Gigboard, which I must say for a first modeller, is pretty good and has convinced me modelling is the way forward. All this advice helps to make my decision between FM3 and FM9 easier. From what I’ve seen so far the FM3 will do just fine.
One final plus to the Fractal gear is the sort of help you’ve seen here. The willingness of people here to share knowledge, correct misunderstanding, and help with everything from hardware to firmware to routing to concepts for use is invaluable… and adds more to your potential for success than you can imagine.

I‘m relatively new to the FM9, which was a downsizing for me from a much larger Axe Fx III III setup that I still use. The FM3 is something special for its combination of tone, power, and super small (but expandable) size. Fractal has all bases covered, so you can’t really go wrong.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the family of users here.

One final plus to the Fractal gear is the sort of help you’ve seen here. The willingness of people here to share knowledge, correct misunderstanding, and help with everything from hardware to firmware to routing to concepts for use is invaluable… and adds more to your potential for success than you can imagine.

I‘m relatively new to the FM9, which was a downsizing for me from a much larger Axe Fx III III setup that I still use. The FM3 is something special for its combination of tone, power, and super small (but expandable) size. Fractal has all bases covered, so you can’t really go wrong.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the family of users here.
Thanks, over the time I’ve been lurking here I’ve noticed how helpful people here are, can’t wait to properly come on board.

I like the size of the FM3 and expect it to be as powerful (if not more) than the Gigboard which has plenty for me. I’d go for the FM9 if the benefits were worthwhile but at the moment I’m thinking compact outweighs the xtra the FM9 brings 😃

Sounds like you’ll be happy with it. It is really good. Expect to go through the learning curve, and we’re here to help.

Those are different products, you may not need those eq blocks to sculpt your tone on the FM3.
There’s a lot of eq available here and there to shape the tone.

And sometimes you thought you gonna need a lot and then you just select a amp and a cab and boom don’t need anything except effects.

Back
Top Bottom