Question about tuner

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello! Just got an FM9 today, and I love it! I had a question about the tuner. Coming from the Axe iii and FC12, I have a button set up on the FC12 to be a "SOLO/TUNE" button. If I tap it once, it adds a filter block for volume increase; tap it again it turns it off. Then, if I hold it down, it becomes my tuner. The nice thing about it is when I'm done tuning, I can tap the button once, and the sound returns and I'm on my way. It doesn't affect the current state of the Solo either. Essentially, when it's in tune mode, I just have to tap the button once and I'm out of tune mode.

However, on the FM9, I have to hold the button down to enter tune mode (normal), but then I have to hold it down again to exit (not ideal or the same as my Axe iii w/FC12). I'm in the Per Preset Mode on the FM9; the FC12 isn't (didn't learn about Per Preset until recent haha). Is there a reason why it behaves (ideally) this way on the Axe FX iii w/FC12, but not ideally on the FM9?

I'm on the latest Beta 2 on the FM9, and 16.04 on the Axe iii.

Thanks!

The Axe III and FC-12 behave the same way as your FM9 when the tuner function is assigned to a per preset slot hold. You have to hold the switch to exit the tuner. When direct assigned to the switch, it just takes a tap to exit the tuner. Not sure why they behave differently between the per-preset and the direct assignment. Might be a bug or perhaps it has to work that way for some reason on per preset switches. @BryantP any ideas?

Try assigning the hold tuner function directly to the switch instead of as a Per-Preset slot.

I have a switch set up for tap tempo and hold for tuner. Of course, I have to hold it a moment to bring up the tuner, but only one quick tap takes me back to the previous screen without changing the tempo. I have this set up across all my presets the same way.

I have my FM3 and FM9 with Tap being for tap tempo, and Hold on the same foot switch, switches to the tuner. Taping that switch again, or any other, immediately switches out of the tuner to where I want to be IIRC.

I have my FM3 and FM9 with Tap being for tap tempo, and Hold on the same foot switch, switches to the tuner. Taping that switch again, or any other, immediately switches out of the tuner to where I want to be IIRC.
Interesting! Are you using Per Preset, or did you modify one of your Layouts?

UPDATE:

So, it seems that this works on a Layout where the tap and tuner are assigned to a button, for example Layout 1 (I think) that has the Presets and tap tempo etc. You can tap tempo and hold the tap for a tuner. Once you hit the tap button once, it goes back to getting sound and the tuner turns off.

However, on my Per Preset Layout, this does not work this way. You have to hold the button down to turn the tuner on and off. Does this have something to do with the Per Preset in some way?

UPDATE:

So, it seems that this works on a Layout where the tap and tuner are assigned to a button, for example Layout 1 (I think) that has the Presets and tap tempo etc. You can tap tempo and hold the tap for a tuner. Once you hit the tap button once, it goes back to getting sound and the tuner turns off.

However, on my Per Preset Layout, this does not work this way. You have to hold the button down to turn the tuner on and off. Does this have something to do with the Per Preset in some way?
If you have to hold it down it's a HOLD function. A TAP acts immediately.

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but I just modified my FC12 on my FX3 with a per-preset-override to use the tuner on my Effects layout, and a tap toggled the tuner, and a second tap returned to the normal screen; A tap on a different effect's switch toggled the display to show me the changed state, then returned to the turner. Tapping the tuner button's override closed the tuner display and returned to normal behavior. That's what I'd expect it to do in that state because it's an override, i.e., not permanent.

If you have to hold it down it's a HOLD function. A TAP acts immediately.

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but I just modified my FC12 on my FX3 with a per-preset-override to use the tuner on my Effects layout, and a tap toggled the tuner, and a second tap returned to the normal screen; A tap on a different effect's switch toggled the display to show me the changed state, then returned to the turner. Tapping the tuner button's override closed the tuner display and returned to normal behavior. That's what I'd expect it to do in that state because it's an override, i.e., not permanent.
Got ya! So, when you toggled an effect, is it supposed to turn the tuner off, but it didn’t because it’s a per preset?

That's the behavior I saw. It might not be the intended behavior.
Got ya! I just confirmed the same on my Axe Fx III with FC12. If I go to the Per Preset FC tab in Axe Edit and set up a button to be an on/off switch for an effect and then make it's "hold" tuner, if I hold down the button and go into tuner mode, I have to hold it down again to exit.

If I do this on any other main Layout (Scenes, Effects, etc.), it behaves what I would consider ideally, in that you can hold the button down, tune, then push the same button once and it exits.

I'm wondering if this is intended behavior, or if perhaps this is something that can be updated. I'd love to hear from the team about that, and potentially put in a request for it if it's a feasible thing to do :)

So, another thing I suppose can be done in the meantime is use the 8th “Empty” Layout and make all of the buttons “per preset” buttons just like I did on the Per Preset Layout, but then use the button I would use for Tap/Tune and make it the same. Maybe because it wouldn’t be a Per Preset button, it would behave like I’m used to. That being said, I’m still curious if this is intended behavior with Per Preset buttons, or something that can be updated. :)

Back
Top Bottom