Question About Speaker Load in 4CM

sprint

Axe-Master
Am I risking my tube amp somehow if running in 4CM with Ax3 but routing Ax3 output to IR/Studio monitors instead of back to the amp's fx return?, or routed back to the return but with the amp's master (or an intermediate pedal acting as master) turned all the way down? (amp's speaker is connected in these scenarios)

Googling around I see mixed opinion on this. I always thought (perhaps incorrectly) that:
  • I can use a tube amp's pre (between amp input and send) safely in a modeller's loop without sending output back to the amp's power section.
  • The risk to be careful of is sending signal to a tube amp's power section with master up and without a speaker attached.
  • Without a speaker attached, and no signal going to a tube amp's power section, or into the amp's fx return but with master turned all the way down, there is no risk even if actively using the amp's pre in a modeller's loop (though this is not advisable as it is an accident cued up to happen if somehow some output suddenly gets inadvertently routed to the amp's fx return with master up).

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

As long as the amp is plugged into a speaker cab (or load box) , you're fine. If the amp has signal on the input and it's not plugged into a cab, then you run the risk of blowing the OPT.

I’d say you’re safest with a speaker connected anytime there is power (as opposed to “signal) to the power amplifier section. You won’t damage it by tapping off of the preamp and rerouting it, but the power section still needs a speaker or dummy load of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom