Question about SPDIF output…

Shahar

Experienced
In the Setting screen you can configure to send Output1, Output2, Input1, and some other choices to the SPDIF digital out. Is there any reason why a combination of those cant be sent out (i.e. Output1 + Input1, so I can record direct and wet signal through the digital out). I noticed on my interface (Clarett 2PRE), it can handle up to 8 additional channels through the optical input, so I don't think bandwidth is a problem.

Cheers,
Shahar

In the Setting screen you can configure to send Output1, Output2, Input1, and some other choices to the SPDIF digital out. Is there any reason why a combination of those cant be sent out (i.e. Output1 + Input1, so I can record direct and wet signal through the digital out). I noticed on my interface (Clarett 2PRE), it can handle up to 8 additional channels through the optical input, so I don't think bandwidth is a problem.
Only 2 channels may be transmitted via spdif. A Clarett has 8 channel ADAT, but the AxeFX can only transmit spdif, not ADAT. That means spdif can't transmit both a DI and a stereo wet signal. If you want to record a DI and a stereo processed signal, see the instructions here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

P.S. You can connect the spdif from the Axe-FX to the Clarett's optical port. You'll just need a pair of rca-to-toslink adapters.

Last edited:
Only 2 channels may be transmitted via spdif. A Clarett has 8 channel ADAT, but the AxeFX can only transmit spdif, not ADAT. That means spdif can't transmit both a DI and a stereo wet signal. If you want to record a DI and a stereo processed signal, see the instructions here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

P.S. You can connect the spdif from the Axe-FX to the Clarett's optical port. You'll just need a pair of rca-to-toslink adapters.
Thanks for your reply! I am doing a modified #5 because my interface doesn't have a SPDIF out. I wish the AxeFX had an optical out.

Thanks for your reply! I am doing a modified #5 because my interface doesn't have a SPDIF out. I wish the AxeFX had an optical out.
In that case, if you're on a Mac, you might be better off with #4. But there are many ways to skin this cat.

In that case, if you're on a Mac, you might be better off with #4. But there are many ways to skin this cat.
I would love to, but my interface has only two inputs (Clarett 2Pre). I really need a new interface with either spdif in and out, or additional inputs. Another bummer is having to switch the sample clock source if I'm not using the AxeFX.

I would love to, but my interface has only two inputs (Clarett 2Pre). I really need a new interface with either spdif in and out, or additional inputs. Another bummer is having to switch the sample clock source if I'm not using the AxeFX.
Not sure I follow. Configuration 4 should work fine with your Clarett.

Can someone recommend a coax to optical converter that’s silent when the axe fx is switched off? Mine works, but with the axe off it sends a very loud noise signal over optical.

Can someone recommend a coax to optical converter that’s silent when the axe fx is switched off? Mine works, but with the axe off it sends a very loud noise signal over optical.
I bought this one, it works really well. But I only used it for a couple of days now, so I cant speak about its reliability:
Amazon Link

Back
Top Bottom