Question about preset leveling

Ledvedder

Inspired
Most of my presets have a lead scene that I have about 3dB louder than the other scenes. Should I have the lead scene set to 0dB on the output level, and all the other scenes at -3dB? Or can I have my regular scenes at 0dB, and the lead scene at +3dB?

Most of my presets have a lead scene that I have about 3dB louder than the other scenes. Should I have the lead scene set to 0dB on the output level, and all the other scenes at -3dB? Or can I have my regular scenes at 0dB, and the lead scene at +3dB?
You do you.

If you send to FOH just tell them your lead boost is +3 dB so they don’t drop you 6 dB and keep you there.

As Greg alluded to, whichever works best for you. I prefer to leave regular scene and effect levels at 0 dB so there's less to do when creating presets. When you start adjusting levels in different places, things can get messy or confusing.

One thing I do with every preset though, is use the Preset Leveling Tool. I keep the regular level at or just below 0 dB, adding a boost switch with +3-5 dB for solos, intros and/or outros, whatever is needed for the song. If you don't use a lot of effects it may not make any difference, but I noticed that if the meters get into the red there will be some unwanted distortion of reverb/delay tails.

One thing I do with every preset though, is use the Preset Leveling Tool. I keep the regular level at or just below 0 dB, adding a boost switch with +3-5 dB for solos, intros and/or outros, whatever is needed for the song. If you don't use a lot of effects it may not make any difference, but I noticed that if the meters get into the red there will be some unwanted distortion of reverb/delay tails.
I level to 0 dB for my scenes, and then, by extension, to all my presets.

I used to set up a 3-3.5 dB solo boost, but I treat my amps as single channel amps, so I roll the guitar volume down to clean up the sound for my rhythm, and roll it up for crunch and go to 10 on the guitar for solos, so, because the Fractals react so much like a real amp and the volume increases as it should, my lead volume increases. I talked to our FOH guy several times about it, ‘cause I care, and he’s very happy with it so I got rid of my boost settings.

“Hey! He told me it’s ok!”

While using the Preset Leveling Tool, I have been using the amp volume instead of the output volume to get to 0 dB. I have read others prefer this method as well. Is this the most widely accepted method to get my presets and scenes to play nice together volume wise?

While using the Preset Leveling Tool, I have been using the amp volume instead of the output volume to get to 0 dB. I have read others prefer this method as well. Is this the most widely accepted method to get my presets and scenes to play nice together volume wise?
I think it’s pretty much a draw whichever way you do it.

I'm sure others will chime in, but yes, I do believe amp level is the way. yes.gif

Back
Top Bottom