Question about KRK Rokit Studio Monitors

JKos

Hello,
I currently have a pair of very nice, high dollar studio monitors but they cause guitars to hum like crazy. Even humbucker equipped guitars are not immune although perhaps obviously not as bad as single coils. I confirmed more than once it is the monitors. Even with nothing but power connected to the monitor (no audio connections at all), turning the monitor(s) on equals hum/buzz induced in a previously quiet guitar setup (like getting too close to a tube amp). So, I'm looking at some other options to use when tracking guitars.

Can someone please confirm for me that the KRK Rokit 8 G2 monitors do not induce hum/buzz in guitars when sitting in the monitoring hot spot?

Thanks,
John

Are you using balanced cables in your complete signal chain? If not, any type of monitor you use will pickup some hum.

My KRK's do not hum.

Are you sure it's the monitors?

I have a set of Genelec 8020's and a set of Focal CMS 65's both are dead quiet - as yours should be.

What does your rig look like when you get the Hum?

Are you perchance going, Guitar, Axe FX, Computer interface, and then Monitors? if so try switching the ground lift switch on the Axe (assuming you are using the XLR out).

Something else to try, Put the guitar straight into to your sounds card interface and see if you still get the hum? I reckon you have a ground loop and it's not the monitors at all. Is your interface and the Axe mounted in the same rack etc etc.

Worth further investigation rather than waste money.
good luck.

Sorry guys, I should have been a little more explicit. It is not the monitors that hum. The recording/monitoring system is dead quiet. This isn't about the recording or monitoring system, it's about the affect these monitors have on guitars.

The monitors cause the GUITAR to hum/buzz like getting up close to a tube amp only this happens even at 6 feet away from the monitors. With a guitar plugged into an amp (even a battery powered amp) and no further connection to the audio system, turn one or both of the monitors on and the guitar now has a buzz/hum too strong for recording. I have to turn the monitors off and use headphones for tracking guitar.

I don't know why these monitors do this but it happens in every setup they've been used in. They were almost $3k a pair, have toroidal transformers, and linear power supplies. No good reason for them to be like this. The manufacturer was of no help.

I'd just like some confirmation that the KRK Rokit monitors do not do this. Also, I'm a bit torn between the 6" version currently on sale for $300 a pair and the 8" version for $500. I'm just not sure the 6s will cut it for me.

Thanks,
John

I have Rokit 6's and can confirm they don't add any hum when they're on unless i get within a few inches of them with a guitar. They are nice nearfield monitors but they don't pit out crazy bass. I like their size. Personally I'd pair 6's with a sub over just using 8's.

Just check KRK's specs, which should be available online. The key thing you're looking for is "magnetically shielded". Manufacturers typically do this type of shielding when the monitors may be located adjacent to CRT-type monitors, as the stray magnetic field can cause localized color distortions on CRT displays.

Apparently it also causes buzz in guitar pickups . . . :ugeek:

> The key thing you're looking for is "magnetically shielded".

Yes, indeed; and I do think that may be it since my JBLs are not magnetically shielded (or "shielded for video" or "video shielded" as some companies put it). The KRK Rokits are listed as video shielded.

> Personally I'd pair 6's with a sub over just using 8's.

Good idea. I think I'll do just that... Save $200 getting the 6s and put it towards the sub at some point soon.

Thanks,
John

I received a pair of KRK Rokit 6 monitors yesterday. Wow, for $300 a pair (yeah, yeah, the red ones from GC) these things are really nice. It is great to see how far along lower priced gear has come over the years.

I'm certainly still in the honeymoon phase with them and, yes, I know they aren't as good as better monitors. But... For $300 these sure put to shame monitors we used to pay a lot more for and put a lot of capability in even the lowest budget setups.

- John

Well, just to update this thread... Even the Rokits cause some hum. Too much, IMHO, for recording high gain guitar tones even at 6' back from the monitors. Much better than the LSR28Ps, but still too much.

I even took them to a friends house and confirmed the issue. With his guitar and amp setup for a moderate gain tone and perfectly quiet (hum and buzz wise), we plugged the Rokit 6 into the wall and turned it on 6' from the guitar. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from the amp. Monitor silent (as it it better be with no input :) ). Move the guitar around, buzz changes and certain positions are good, as expected. Argh.

- John

I think it might be the power supply on the internal amps inside the monitors.

This may be a long shot ,but what if you run an extension cord from another part of the house to power the monitors so that the axe and the monitors are powered by separate circuits. also keep the power supply cables far away from your signal cables.

maybe a good quality power conditioner might help

Are you standing in front of a computer monitor when you play ? If so, shut off the computer monitor and see if it goes away.... they cause alot of noise when you are close...

> Are you standing in front of a computer monitor when you play ?

No or it's off if I am. Note above test at friends house.

I should add/clarify that at least the Rokits aren't a problem with my humbucker guitars unlike the LSR28Ps.

- John

Back
Top Bottom