Question about K12 EQ

paultanderberg

Inspired
So, up until now, I've been using my church's monitors (not the best quality) to test my presets and for live use. I just got a QSC K12 the other day and there is a HUGE difference! Obviously, there's going to be a quality difference...but there is also an EQ difference as well. The mids sound different and the lows seem more accentuated than the cheaper monitors. I can FEEL the Bassman model! Is this due to the cheap monitors before not being able to give an accurate lower end response or does the K12 actually add a little bit of low end? Or another way to phrase it: Is the K12 a completely flat response or do the other cheaper monitors have a low end dropoff?

Because if it is, I need to take out a lot of the lows out of my tone that I didn't know was there. I am assuming that it is and it is the equivalent of watching an HDTV vs an older TV. Just like the blacks are TRUE blacks (HDTV) instead of dark gray (older TV), the lows are TRUE lows and now that I'm hearing my ACTUAL tone, I need to take out some lows. Is that what it's like?

Sorry if that was confusing. Tell me someone is tracking with my logic :)

-Paul

Flat is a relative term but I'd bet that the QSCs are flatter than what you've been playing through. I bet you can find a frequency response graph on their web site if there's not one in the owners manual.

The K12s have a 'deep' switch which adds more low end the way an additional subwoofer would, and a mid boost switch which is designed to add more presence for vocals. With both of those off, they should be fairly flat.

Flat is a relative term but I'd bet that the QSCs are flatter than what you've been playing through. I bet you can find a frequency response graph on their web site if there's not one in the owners manual.

For some reason, I can't find a frequency response graph ANYWHERE on the internet for K12s. If anyone has one that they've found or made themselves running pink noise through one and measuring it, please let me know! Would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I'm sure you are right. I'm just paranoid about LOVING the tone I am getting meanwhile the FOH is blasting something fairly different (especially if I'm going to spend hours building FRFR presets from the ground up)

From my experience with the K12 (which was having it for about 2 months), I had the impression that it had more bottom end on it (the word that kept coming to my mind was "boomy"). For some patches I liked it, but for others not so much. I ended up returning it because of that, and am trying some other frfr speakers out now, as the K12 was my first FRFR speaker purchase. Just some food for thought, as YMMV (as Scott wisely says hehe).

Are ALL FRFR monitors boomy? or is it just the K12? Because if they are, it would make sense. If something is TRUELY flat, it would have those frequencies and having the monitor on the ground might seem like the lows are louder because you can feel it through the floor. Would it make a difference (or counter-balance that to sound more like the FOH) to put a Gramma underneath? FOH speakers are usually not on the ground so to have the monitors off the ground would be a more accurate representation of what's coming out of the FOHs. We'd be taking out that variable.

Warning: This is PURE speculation. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

Back
Top Bottom