Question about FRFR choices!

rascarvalho

Inspired
HI there!
For those who has any of this equipments, for the same price, which one do you prefer?
1x Matrix Q12a, 2x EV-ZLX12p or 2x Yamaha DBR-12
I'm from Brazil, and here, the price of a couple of EV-ZLX-12p or a couple of Yamaha DBR-12 is near from one single Matrix Q12a.
Thanks folks!

A big part of the decision is what is your application? Are you playing live or home player. Typically live you wouldn't need two unless you are using one for backline and the other for personal monitor. Main reason for two is to enjoy stereo at home. All that said you should really try to listen to each because everyone perceives the sound somewhat differently. The Yamaha's are definitely a better overall speaker than the EV's, EVs are consider a decent budget speaker for amplifying a modeler. The Matrix will most closely sound/feel like a traditional speaker/cabinet because it uses a coaxial speaker rather than two separate speakers so the dispersion of the tone/sound is better. If you want/need two go for the Yamaha, if you want the best overall product for amplifying and presenting your presets as accurately as possible choose the Matrix.

A big part of the decision is what is your application? Are you playing live or home player. Typically live you wouldn't need two unless you are using one for backline and the other for personal monitor. Main reason for two is to enjoy stereo at home. All that said you should really try to listen to each because everyone perceives the sound somewhat differently. The Yamaha's are definitely a better overall speaker than the EV's, EVs are consider a decent budget speaker for amplifying a modeler. The Matrix will most closely sound/feel like a traditional speaker/cabinet because it uses a coaxial speaker rather than two separate speakers so the dispersion of the tone/sound is better. If you want/need two go for the Yamaha, if you want the best overall product for amplifying and presenting your presets as accurately as possible choose the Matrix.
Thank you very much!
Actually, I play at home and live. I compared 2 speakers with one (matrix) because of the price! The biggest problem is that here (Brazil), I'm not able to test them. Thinking about price and convenience, maybe only one Yamaha works for me!
Thank you again!

HI there!
For those who has any of this equipments, for the same price, which one do you prefer?
1x Matrix Q12a, 2x EV-ZLX12p or 2x Yamaha DBR-12
I'm from Brazil, and here, the price of a couple of EV-ZLX-12p or a couple of Yamaha DBR-12 is near from one single Matrix Q12a.
Thanks folks!

If you're thinking about Matrix, why Q12a instead of FR12? FR12 is cheaper and lighter...
My vote would be for the Yamaha as well. From others' reviews, the impression I get of the Matrix stuff is that it's more guitar cab like. It's great if you're using it for enjoyment at home, or using it as a backline. But I personally want my FRFRs to replicate what I'm sending to the FOH, so for that purpose, I'd go with Yamaha. You might have a different purpose, so choose accordingly.

If you're thinking about Matrix, why Q12a instead of FR12? FR12 is cheaper and lighter...
My vote would be for the Yamaha as well. From others' reviews, the impression I get of the Matrix stuff is that it's more guitar cab like. It's great if you're using it for enjoyment at home, or using it as a backline. But I personally want my FRFRs to replicate what I'm sending to the FOH, so for that purpose, I'd go with Yamaha. You might have a different purpose, so choose accordingly.
Actually, the only Matrix product I found here (Brazil) was Q12a. If I had more Matrix produtcts options, I'd go with FR12!
BTW, I was looking for other options and found good reviews about Alto TS212. Any coments about this one?
Thanks again!

Actually, the only Matrix product I found here (Brazil) was Q12a. If I had more Matrix produtcts options, I'd go with FR12!
BTW, I was looking for other options and found good reviews about Alto TS212. Any coments about this one?
Thanks again!

A lot of people use the Altos and like it, great bang for buck. Popular in the Kemper forum as well. With PAs, it generally seems to be that price does follow performance. So if you want to compare the Altos to the Yamahas, I don't think you should expect the same performance.

But a lot of it is personal preference too, it might be that you personally like the Altos better than the Yamahas. Again, what is your goal? Personal enjoyment? Accuracy/transparency? What have you used previously?

Thanks again!
My purpose is change my mesa 20/20 + 2 cabs 2x12 (one loaded with V30 and one with G12T 75) for one or two FRFR. I'm gonna use them to play live (on stage/backline) and to practice / record in my home studio.
Nowadays, with mesa 20/20, when I'm playing live, I use 2x12 (V30) as backline (out2 without cab block) and send out1 (with cab block) to FOH. I intent to have the same sound I send to FOH as my backline.
I've considered keeping my mesa 20/20, but I intent to buy an AX8 sooner (keep AFX just for practice and recording), so, I decide to take 1 or 2 powered speakers (FRFR).

Last edited:
Thanks again!
My purpose is change my mesa 20/20 + 2 cabs 2x12 (one loaded with V30 and one with G12T 75) for one or two FRFR. I'm gonna use them to play live (on stage/backline) and to practice / record in my home studio.
I've considered keeping my mesa 20/20, but I intent to buy an AX8 sooner (keep AFX just for practice and recording), so, I decide to take 1 or 2 powered speakers (FRFR).

Ok. Have you played through modeler+FRFR before? It's different than guitar cabs. Some people never get used to FRFRs, and switch back to guitar cabs. I'd recommend you buy just one FRFR to try out, learn how to get a great sound out of it. But maybe don't sell your guitar cabs yet. You may or may not like FRFRs if you're new to it.

Well ... I use to practice and recording using monitors (KRK Rokit RP8) or headphone (AKG K240 MKII) so, I expect to have some similar sound with more quality and volume. I use to record and set my patches with this monitors/headphone, I use lots of IRs, btw ... and yes ... just to try, I'll probably buy just one FRFR and before I sell my desk and cabs.
Do you thing that there are a huge difference between monitors/headphone and FRFR?

But I still in doubt... Alto or Yamaha! The biggest problem in Brazil is the fact of we don't have lots of stores where I can go there and try them out!

Well ... I use to practice and recording using monitors (KRK Rokit RP8) or headphone (AKG K240 MKII) so, I expect to have some similar sound with more quality and volume. I use to record and set my patches with this monitors/headphone, I use lots of IRs, btw ... and yes ... just to try, I'll probably buy just one FRFR and before I sell my desk and cabs.
Do you thing that there are a huge difference between monitors/headphone and FRFR?

But I still in doubt... Alto or Yamaha! The biggest problem in Brazil is the fact of we don't have lots of stores where I can go there and try them out!

If you're used to IRs and using monitors and like them, you'll be fine with FRFRs! You didn't mention them so I assumed not.

Maybe... buy one of each? Haha, I can't help you there. I just checked the specs, and actually, I'd go Alto on weight, even if it sounded a little worse lol. 35 lbs vs 28 lbs, not a small difference. @Dazzl1113 has them, maybe he can comment.

Sure thing! Yes, I have Alto TS212s they are fantastic for the price (here in the US they are approx $249/ea) I'll assume much more expensive in Brazil, I can't compare them to the Yamaha's as I've not used one but I can compare them to the current forum favorite Atomic CLR which I had previously and costs ~3-4x the Alto and when I A/B'd them with guitar, backing tracks and music playback the Alto provides ~80-90% of what the CLR did to my ears. The price v performance difference therefore was way off for the CLR in relation to the Alto so I sold it and I frankly haven't missed it.

Yes, here, Alto, Yamaha and EV, converting the values directly, they cost about 900 USD each (3200 BRL). Very expensive!!! The Q12a that I told before, is about 2200 USD (7200 BRL). This prices make us have not so good equipments!

I’ll probably go with Alto’s speaker!!! If I take one, I’ll post a review!!!
Thank you so much for your help!
If you have other advices, I’ll appreciate!

Back
Top Bottom