Question about connecting an MFC-101 Mk. III to a AxeFX 2 Mk. II

Kosmoz

Good morning everyone!

I have been thinking about getting myself an MFC-101 recently. But since the MFC Mk. III features a FASLINK port, which the AxeFX 2 Mk. II doesn't I was wondering if I should just get an Ethercon cable to connect them or connect the AxeFX to a XA-1 FASLINK adapter using a standard Ethernet cable (the Adapter would be fastened to my flight case) and then connect to the MFC via a standard XLR cable.

I know that XLR cables are obviously more robust than Ethercon cables but is it really worth buying an additional adapter for nearly 50€? On the other hand those 50€ do not seem that much considering that I would have to buy an Ethercon cable for 35€ otherwise.

Greetings!

I'm in a similar place and leaning toward spending the extra money go the XA-1 route. The rational being looking at it as being an insurance policy against a bad cable. (using the assumption that XLR cables will be more prevalent at a gig than ethernet cables)

IMO the XLR cable is not more robust then a good ethercon cable.
It might be easier to find a replacement in a hurry, but both cables are very robust.
I would go with the ethercon cable, and get a spare cable for emergency, instead of the adaptor.

I would go with the ethercon cable, and get a spare cable for emergency, instead of the adaptor.

Same here. I was fortunate enough with my initial purchase of the AFX II Mark I, it came with the MFC-101 Mark II and the ethercon cable. It has been extremely robust, long enough and a solid cable for about 10 gigs I have used live now. Couldn't imagine using the AFX without it live now. I would keep it simple with 1 cable from your AFX to the MFC, much easier.

Back
Top Bottom