Question about CLIFFs Plexi 100W Demo- Preset

Liquid22

Inspired
Yesterday I played Cliffs Plexi 100W Demo-Preset and couldn't get enough. It sound soooo huge!

I finally realized how great Q8 is, no matter which Marshall-like amp I choose it sounds amazing (didn't touched the others jet).

(But) one question remains:
Cliff, why the filter in front of the Amp instead using the build in EQ of the Amp? Just trying to get behind the big impact of that filter.

Thanks allot for this machine !!!

Because it is in front of the amp, it has a big impact on the character of the distortion. A mid boost like in this preset focuses the punch of the guitar to the amp and increases the overall gain and distortion. The very same filter after the amp would just shape the tonality of the sound, without changing amount of distortion from the amp, so it has a completely different role. The graphic EQ in the amp block is either before power amp, or after the power amp. Same thing applies here, but instead of preamp distortion, it shapes the power amp distortion: if your virtual power amp is distorting the bass, the tone will the loose and floppy. Cut the bass if you don't like it, or boost the bass if that's exactly what you want.

A low cut before the amp clears bass mud, and a high boost, well, go ahead and try. EQ before an amp is a very very powerful sound/play feel changing tool, and we have a bucketload of different EQ's in the Axe, for free! Use them!

Yesterday I played Cliffs Plexi 100W Demo-Preset and couldn't get enough. It sound soooo huge!

I finally realized how great Q8 is, no matter which Marshall-like amp I choose it sounds amazing (didn't touched the others jet).

(But) one question remains:
Cliff, why the filter in front of the Amp instead using the build in EQ of the Amp? Just trying to get behind the big impact of that filter.

Thanks allot for this machine !!!

Cliff wrote about this topic here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-power-of-pre-eq.80951/

Thanks, I will keep all that in mind. Gonna save the Filter-Block as CLIFF-Curve-Kick. A Preset with Marshall-like-Amps and a Les Paul sounds so much better with it.

Back
Top Bottom