Question about CabLab4

Bones86

Hi

I have a question about the CabLab4 software.

I use the Axe FX ll Mk.1 /w MFC-101 Mk.3 (my God this gear is so good and versatile.
I just ordered the Cab Pack Bundle 1 series (on sale) and they all are really really good.

Now I'm looking into getting a few of the DynaCab packs but I have a few questions.

#1 Since CabLab4 doesn't support legacy products aka my Axe FX ll, is there still a workaround somehow?
As it is right now I load up the CL4 Plugin VST into my Reaper DAW software and I record something there, looping that, and then make adjustments "real-time" to my playback within the CL4 I can also Save and Export that file and using Fractal Bot to send that new IR to my Axe Fx ll and that is neat. But I would love to be able to use the standalone version to edit DynaCab cabs and export those the same way. Also, what am I missing out on using the Plugin version? I see that I can't use the 'Tools' section, is that important?

#2 I'm curious about some of the parameters within the CL4 too. Am I correct in guessing that Low Cut / High Cut works the same way in CL4 as it does in the Axe-Edit / Axe FX unit? And Align is the same as using a cab in Stereo mode (Effects Type) with two of the same or two different cabinets set with different Delay L/R? Because it sounds like the changes I make in CL4 are the same changes I can do in Axe-Edit mentioned above. That being said, I do see the benefit of doing these changes to 1 or 2 cabs, saving those changes, and still have the option of using the cab without the changes I made or use the new modified cab for all presets instead of having to do all the changes to every cab block within Axe-Edit / Axe FX... if that makes sense.

Thanks. Looking forward to your replies.

1 Since CabLab4 doesn't support legacy products aka my Axe FX ll, is there still a workaround somehow?
If you have your Ax2 sending to an audio interface, you could use the audio interface as IO for CL4 running stand alone. This will put the CL4 cab at the end and you'll have to manually bypass your Ax2 cab while auditioning in CL4 (I prefer this method personally).

#2 I'm curious about some of the parameters within the CL4 too. Am I correct in guessing that Low Cut / High Cut works the same way in CL4 as it does in the Axe-Edit / Axe FX unit?
I would expect the Hi/Lo cut slopes to be the same but I've not verified - I tend to remove the hi/lo cuts from CL4 just before export and re-apply them on the hardware so it's easier to adjust on the fly if needed (similar to what you describe).

If you have your Ax2 sending to an audio interface, you could use the audio interface as IO for CL4 running stand alone. This will put the CL4 cab at the end and you'll have to manually bypass your Ax2 cab while auditioning in CL4 (I prefer this method personally).

I would expect the Hi/Lo cut slopes to be the same but I've not verified - I tend to remove the hi/lo cuts from CL4 just before export and re-apply them on the hardware so it's easier to adjust on the fly if needed (similar to what you describe).
Thanks so much for your reply :)

If I use a Audio Interface I don't need to tell CL4 what version of the Axe FX I'm using? (FX lll, FM3, FM9 ect).

Thanks so much for your reply :)

I don't need to tell CL4 what version of the Axe FX I'm using? (FX lll, FM3, FM9 ect).
AFAIR, No (sorry, not at my rig right now). Just set CL's audio input setting to whatever audio interface input channels your Ax2 is sending to, and set CL's output setting to whatever audio interface digital input channels you want CL's output to be sent to. While auditioning in CL, mute the usual audio interface input channels that your Ax2 normally sends to, to prevent them from feeding your interface output so that you don't get "double
output". That should do it. Don't forget to bypass the cab in your preset while auditioning in CL.

Last edited:
AFAIR, No (sorry, not at my rig right now). Just set CL's audio input setting to whatever audio interface input channels your Ax2 is sending to, and set CL's output setting to whatever audio interface digital input channels you want CL's output to be sent to. While auditioning in CL, mute the usual audio interface input channels that your Ax2 normally sends to, to prevent them from feeding your interface output so that you don't get "double
output". That should do it. Don't forget to bypass the cab in your preset while auditioning in CL.
Awesome! I get 100%

I will try that thank you so much : ))

PS: I'm a lefty too 🤘

EDIT;

Can confirm that this worked, like a dream! A million thank you. I had some problems settings this up but I dusted off (literally) my Zoom R16 mixer that I used as an Audio Interface and muted the input signals there so all I heard was the changes I made, in real-time, within CL4. Just to be sure I exported a radical new .syx Cab with tons of cuts in low and highs and align -6ms it was a mess. But can confirm that what I heard in CL4 before I exported the file was the same that I heard when I imported that file to my Axe FX ll Mk.1 no changes from the CL4 to my unit.

But just to be clear, and before I spend a c*** load of money on DynaCabs... this also works for DynaCabs in as I can change mics, mic distance, and mic placement and export that file too like I just did with a regular .syx IR?

I am really picky about my mic placements and the distance so I hardly ever get satisfied with the stock Cabs without tweaking something. That is actually the 1 feature I miss when I first got the Axe FX ll since I came from Amplitube software. But now and thanks to your tutorial and the awesome guys at FAS I can use DynaCabs to finally nail my mic placement and distance once and for all.

Thank you so much my good Sir for helping me this is an awesome community. This will do untill I can save up for the FX lll :^)

Last edited:
But just to be clear, and before I spend a c*** load of money on DynaCabs... this also works for DynaCabs in as I can change mics, mic distance, and mic placement and export that file too like I just did with a regular .syx IR?

I am really picky about my mic placements and the distance so I hardly ever get satisfied with the stock Cabs without tweaking something. That is actually the 1 feature I miss when I first got the Axe FX ll since I came from Amplitube software. But now and thanks to your tutorial and the awesome guys at FAS I can use DynaCabs to finally nail my mic placement and distance once and for all.
Yes, Cab-Lab 4 and DynaCab packs go together like peas and carrots. And you can include a static IR into the mixing session so those are still useful.

Cab-Lab 4 and the external packs have more flexibility than what we can do with the current generation hardware and factory DynaCabs; There are more mics and positioning choices so you can spend hours adjusting the positions. :)

Last edited:
Whatever changes you make in CL including mic placement gets exported. I'd still recommend moving methodically tho if CL is new for you. For me, this would mean: buy 1 DC pack (sounds like you've already done this from what you mentioned above) and try everything out to confirm your workflow, then purchase more.

Whatever changes you make in CL including mic placement gets exported. I'd still recommend moving methodically tho if CL is new for you. For me, this would mean: buy 1 DC pack (sounds like you've already done this from what you mentioned above) and try everything out to confirm your workflow, then purchase more.
That is good advice, thank you 😊 Will do. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom