Question about attaining controlled and sustaining feedback

Lionfeather

Inspired
Ok 80% of the time I'll be using in ears for monitoring everything. Of course for those times when I don't I'll need something to hear in another way. At the same time in both instances I do hope I'll be able to get that tremendous sustain/feedback ala Gary Moore.

Somewhere in this forum I read that can be difficult with an FRFR speaker.

If I could get away with it using something small like the new qsc cp8 I'd be happy, I don't need it to point to the audience (need to keep stage volume manageable) Maybe I could place it somewhere so I could walk in close when I needed the sustain.

What are your thoughts on good options to achieve this live?

I'm sure you can create yourself a feedback loop within the grid but, I've not had the time to try. Maybe someone will come along that has already created a preset. I just got a digitech FreqOut pedal via a recent trade but, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. That may be an option for you. Here's some info on it: https://digitech.com/en-US/products/freqout

Your idea of a monitor should work. I get feedback/sustain easily with almost any volume above 85 dB. Add gain eg a drive and it soars. I’ve had patches where rolling the guitar volume knob is how I have to manage the feedback. Best of luck.

I use the Digitech FreqOut pedal, very natural harmonic feedback at the press of a button, and you can control how fast it comes on, dry kill, etc

What I find really cool with the pedal is that is also kicks off real feedback from my monitor, even at low volume levels. Step on the pedal and get the feedback sound and then the guitar can go into real feedback easily, if you want

I think it’s worth every penny I paid for it, just works so well. It’s even cooler with the Axe routing options because I can put it in a loop, and have a delay etc on just the feedback sound, so then I can kick on the feedback at will while playing, and have the feedback echo out slowly, while playing different stuff underneither it

Plus there are things you can do like sub octave feedback sounds, which when combined with a some other effects can create really cool drones and washes of sound, or you can kill the dry and have kind of flute-like swells etc

Awesome pedal

Ok good, I had expected it should but when I saw someone say it was difficult with an FRFR I became worried.

And that freqout pedal is interesting, especially if I was in ears only. I do like the real feedback though, especially when you can change which harmonic you want by moving around.

Ok good, I had expected it should but when I saw someone say it was difficult with an FRFR I became worried.

And that freqout pedal is interesting, especially if I was in ears only. I do like the real feedback though, especially when you can change which harmonic you want by moving around.

The FreqOut is nice in that it has different octaves and/or some variable harmonic modes so it’s not always the exact same effect, and does vary on the notes your playing. You can also modulate the feedback sound with the tremolo arm etc, dive bomb etc, as it’s not just a static high pitch sound played back, but actually is responding to the vibration of the strings.

This is one area where it can sometimes be a problem though as when the note dies out, the feedback effect can cut off. I like a dedicated delay block and/or comp, with it to solve this.

Getting near my CLR though I’ve hit the pedal, and gotten a steady feedback effect lasting minutes, just infinite sustain as long as the pedal is pressed.

Ok 80% of the time I'll be using in ears for monitoring everything. Of course for those times when I don't I'll need something to hear in another way. At the same time in both instances I do hope I'll be able to get that tremendous sustain/feedback ala Gary Moore.

Somewhere in this forum I read that can be difficult with an FRFR speaker.

If I could get away with it using something small like the new qsc cp8 I'd be happy, I don't need it to point to the audience (need to keep stage volume manageable) Maybe I could place it somewhere so I could walk in close when I needed the sustain.

What are your thoughts on good options to achieve this live?
I have no problem achieving intentional feedback live using the 12" Yamaha stage monitor. I actually had to back down my gain a little the last couple of shows because I was getting too much.

The FreqOut is nice in that it has different octaves and/or some variable harmonic modes so it’s not always the exact same effect, and does vary on the notes your playing. You can also modulate the feedback sound with the tremolo arm etc, dive bomb etc, as it’s not just a static high pitch sound played back, but actually is responding to the vibration of the strings.

This is one area where it can sometimes be a problem though as when the note dies out, the feedback effect can cut off. I like a dedicated delay block and/or comp, with it to solve this.

Getting near my CLR though I’ve hit the pedal, and gotten a steady feedback effect lasting minutes, just infinite sustain as long as the pedal is pressed.
Is there a patch for this? Would love to experiment a little.

Back
Top Bottom