Quest for a raw raunchier tone.

316ms

Inspired
Ok. Being new to this axe 3, May was a year, I guess thats hardly new. I know everyone says to try and create your presets with a good amount of volume( loud) currently I am in an apartment so as you know the loud option doesn't work in my current situation..I am looking for advice to get more of a mid range punch with a Marshall type tone and gain. Everything I try does not get me there. Speaker IMP curves, the drives help but sound raspy or either smooth. The cuts in the low and high cab isn't getting it either. I can get a very string sensitive high end , like way to much when I bring up the highs and mids, like a cocked wa + 10 or either as mentioned a smooth low end , the amp feel I get is out of this world, I just can't get the mids. Any suggestions would help. I've posted a preset before and honestly It was not any help really. Maybe I look for something that's not possible. Cheers 🍻 and axe3, nothing else better!

Do you have a reference song or youtube clip of the sound you are looking for?
Great question! I think it's more of a fletcher Munson situation really, like when I had my Be100 and playing at lower volumes the tone was much more tame, then at band volume some of that touch and ease of playing is lost. With the axe3 it seems any sound is a reality at louder and lower volumes. All the YouTube vids I hear of axe is mainly studio monitors, that's a different application regardless. A live Gary Moore sound would be a good reference perhaps. Marshall gain/distortion and still a good amount of cut

You could try running a metal zone into a JTM45 or 1959. Very little gain on the MZ required. And then a mid boost dynamic distortion block after the amp or cab.

Also, where I was going with the MZ is trying to get you into preamp distortion vs power amp distortion. That way you will have more control over your EQ especially at lower volumes. So, whatever amp you use, bring down the master volume and crank the gain. SLO is going to be better at preamp distortion btw.

Gary also used to use a SLO 100 btw. Easy to get that sounding raunchy.
Using the slo, sounds epic. I can only guess its the volume I am playing at. I just want to get s little more mids out of it , all is good, feel , distortion sustain even at low volumes. When I try getting more mids it just won't happen. Either too raspy or to smooth. If it was cranked I bet it would probably be a different result. Playing thru a ASC-10 with a LP , PAF pickups

You may have tried this already, but I purchased the Austin Buddy Naked Amps tone pack. I went through the presents and listened for the characteristics I liked, and then saw how they pieced everything together. That made it easier for me to tweak my own presets to exactly what I wanted. FWIW :)

A couple of things may help you here:
  • turn the Speaker Compression completely off
  • play with the Cathode Follower Compression parameter
  • try the 5153 100W Blue amp

I've been getting into treble boosters in the drive block before Marshalls. It'll kill your low end but the raunch is spectacular.

Try the Dynamic Distortion block, it's become a 'must have' in my presets and should do exactly what you're asking for. I've been using it between the Amp and Cab blocks but it can be used in any location in the chain yielding different results using the same settings.

I was playing around with the Swart Atomic Space Tone last night. Think it’s called Nuclear something for the model. With the gain dimed it gets filthy. I even named that scene ‘Filthy’. Seems mid forward, maybe you’d like it.

Try the Dynamic Distortion block, it's become a 'must have' in my presets and should do exactly what you're asking for. I've been using it between the Amp and Cab blocks but it can be used in any location in the chain yielding different results using the same settings.

I can't wait for the Dynamic Distortion block to trickle down to the FM3/FM9...I've been wanting to explore this block since it was announced, big time.

Back
Top Bottom