Queensryche operation mind crime bass tone...

I personally know the engineer for that album. One of my favorite bass tones. In the studio, the sound was achieved by cranking a Gallien Krueger GK 800RB to overload and recording the sound from the speaker, while blending with a Direct to the console signal.

There is a preset called "Bass Rig Direct", it has "USA Rhythm", "Tube Pre", "SV1 and SV2" as amps in the different channels.
Studio FF1 compressor, and a Black Glass 7k drive pedal.

I'm working on an alternate version of this using 2 amps parallel to duplicate the studio process. I could share it with you, but at this point its only a template and I don't intend to post it the Axchange until its finished.

I personally know the engineer for that album. One of my favorite bass tones. In the studio, the sound was achieved by cranking a Gallien Krueger GK 800RB to overload and recording the sound from the speaker, while blending with a Direct to the console signal.

There is a preset called "Bass Rig Direct", it has "USA Rhythm", "Tube Pre", "SV1 and SV2" as amps in the different channels.

I'm working on an alternate version of this using 2 amps parallel to duplicate the studio process. I could share it with you, but at this point its only a template and I don't intend to post it the Axchange until its finished.
that would be awsome if you get something where you are able to share.. in the meantime i"m going to play around with the GK800RB and see what i can come up with.. thank you so much for the insight..i'm sure this will help..

I was about 20 years old when Operation Mindcrime came out, it blew me away and still does. OM was a massive influence to my playing, still is.

I've listened to it a thousand times easy. Seen them headline on the OM tour a couple times and open for Metallica (on the "And Justice" tour)

I'd die to know what they were doing exactly to get their clean tones on that record, that I chased for many years. Clean/compressed/chorus/delay/reverb, so perfect but so hard (for me at least) to nail, I've gotten close with pedals, not tried with my Fractal unit yet. There seems to be some type of reverb trail magic (for lack of a better term) that makes that clean tone so special, I dunno.

Last edited:
thats the only bass i play is Spector...i absolutely love the tone and feel of them..great action off the neck,,

Headbang Rocking Out GIF

Back
Top Bottom