QUANTUM dynamics - post your thoughts!

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
Quantum is a huge update. Thanks Cliff!!!!!

Let's do a thread focused on dynamics.

My thoughts:
Compared to the awesome innovations of G2, MIMIC & G3, progress on dynamics has felt incremental. Cliff has provided many tools, and I use and like them. But they sometimes felt like bolt-on, half-solutions. I noticed it most on the stiff dynamics that come with cleans and edge-of-breakup tones. I could tame it, but I tended to lose something in the process.

I only have 3 hours on it, but I think Quantum is the dynamics innovation I've been waiting for since day one. The amplitude envelope -- attack, decay, sustain, release -- is finally fitting what my ears and hands felt with tube amps, especially on clean & edge-of-breakup. It makes sense now, musically. And it's across the board, from clean, to high gain solo, to palm mute and everything in between.

These are first observations, but I find I'm reducing db reduction in the compression block and using it in tandem with the amp like cascading compression. Or I delete completely. On drive pedals I'm pulling back drive and/or level because the desired compression/sustain is already in the amp.

The improved dynamics lets drive pedals, compression and even the player's hands to do their job better/easier. The result is killer tone/feel/sustain. And that's just the new dynamics. The hair and roar and other goodies are awesome as well.

If the Axe-Fx had a talent-boost switch for players and producers, Quantum would be it!!

Last edited:
I noticed it most on the stiff dynamics that come with cleans and edge-of-breakup tones. I could tame it, but I tended to lose something in the process.

Interesting comment; I too found my cleans and mild crunch tones in particular felt much less stiff and flowed better but didn't lose articulation...the feel is amazing. I'm finding it hard to articulate why Quantum is blowing me away so much but the feel/dynamics, distortion that you can pile on without losing girth, and the sweet transitions from clean to distortion in Quantum is off the hook crazy good....

The improved dynamics lets drive pedals, compression and even the player's hands to do their job better/easier. The result is killer tone/feel/sustain.

I too have only a couple of hours on Quantum but agree totally with the above statement...it mirrors my experiences so far...

There's already a 21 page long thread of thoughts....
That's why I created one focused on dynamics.

Reminder - You might find some of your pre-Quantum presets feel extra compressed now.

If you use comp block and drive block to get the feel you want, you'll want to re-visit those settings. Don't forget to check the preamp comp in the cab block as well.
And the output comp in the amp,
and transformer match if you fiddled with that.

Anything more, and it's probably easier to default your comp/drive/amp/cab blocks and redial. I've done that on a few of my 35+ presets. Otherwise, it's been an easy upgrade.

Hardest part has been to stop playing a preset and get to the next one!

The improved dynamics lets drive pedals, compression and even the player's hands to do their job better/easier. The result is killer tone/feel/sustain.

Yes, although using a ton of gain doesn't diminish this, and sounds far cleaner than before, especially in smoothness of attack.

Got around to re-visiting my patches before this weekend's gigs. All the patches that had cab block preamp with drive/saturation were too squashed and muddy. Even with moderate drive/saturation.

Before Quantum I used the cab block preamp to achieve Quantum-like tone/dynamics. I don't need it anymore, and it sounds/feels amazing without it so I've been taking it off. I forgot how many patches had it!

Last edited:
I thought G3 was going to be it for the next few years, to have Cliff come up with an improvement so quickly was a surprise, a very nice one.. I like Quantum a whole lot, feel is amazing, sounds incredible, I think even the TM has benefited... "now even easier now to dial in great tones" though I'd say since Firmware 10 or so it had improved a lot in dialing in tones from the previous Firmwares...

Quantum is the dynamics innovation I've been waiting for since day one. The amplitude envelope -- attack, decay, sustain, release -- is finally fitting what my ears and hands felt with tube amps, especially on clean & edge-of-breakup. It makes sense now, musically. And it's across the board, from clean, to high gain solo, to palm mute and everything in between.

That is exactly what i experience now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Personally, I find that my tones sound much stronger and fuller. When played with a band, they seem much more muscular and up front. Some of that may have to do with that I finally figured out how to EQ things a bit better but I find it as easy as I ever have to get a big ballsy tone (clean, light distortion or full out gain) no matter the song or context. I have paired Quantum with the new Ownhammer pre-rola G25 IRs that he just put out. A mix of a r121 and e906...I'm crushing it now.

Before Quantum I used the cab block preamp to achieve Quantum-like tone/dynamics. I don't need it anymore, and it sounds/feels amazing without it so I've been taking it off. I forgot how many patches had it!

I used the cab block preamp extensively as well. Since I've upgraded (both HW and Software), I haven't even opened up that menu.

I used the cab block preamp extensively as well. Since I've upgraded (both HW and Software), I haven't even opened up that menu.
Are you still using cabs that have preamp activated? If so, definitely try it without and then tweak the amp a bit...wowzer.

To listen my Axe, i have headphones and small combo amp. And i'm just tired to take off the headphones to check is the amplifier working or not :)

Prior to quantum, I had just been fiddling with a boost in the midrange to stand out in the mix a bit more.
It seems to me, this has become superfluous now.
It's not the same as with the boost but it stands out in the mix just the same but with more definition.

Back
Top Bottom