QSC vs. FBT: A Side by Side Comparision

MKeditor

Experienced
Today FedEx delivered two FBT 12ma's from RMC Audio. I was very excited to receive the long awaited speakers that we have been hearing about. I immediately released the Italian twins from their cardboard confines to discover they are indeed lighter and smaller than their QSC competitors. At once I liked the less open grill of the FBT's. The inset handles reminded me of Marshall cabinets. I was pleased to find them much easer to move around. I looked forward to getting off work so I could fire them up.

After finishing my duties, I gently loaded the 12ma's into the back of my Sequoia, again appreciating the more compact design. The Studio Slips haven't arrived yet, So I was endeavoring to be gentle and not cause dings on these spanking new gems.

Upon arriving I removed one QSC and in its place set an FBT. I pulled up my standard crunch patch (D60 with Cali 75) and created a pan block then assigned an expression pedal to it. Now I could pan between the Italian stallion and the Chinese champion. After adjusting the volume of the FBT to match the QSC, I then got down to the real deal.

The speakers both sound good. That was no surprise. After panning back and forth several times I began to make a mental check list of these differences. The FBT sounds more like a Guitar cabinet. Like their little brother the 8ma, the 12ma is smoother throughout the midrange. The QSC seemed a bit brighter...and harsher. I tried higher gain and clean patches. All the clean patches, including my Crystal Clean Chorus sound much smoother with the FBT.

I had hoped the 12ma would contain the sound more on stage. That doesn't seem to be much different. The back wall just reflects more than I care for.

A real test was playing the CD player via my mini-mixer through the two. The QSC sounds affected compared to the FBT.

From a construction stand point, I think the QSC appears to have a bit more finesse. The switches and plates on the FBT don't seem to be as solid.

Here are some pics:

qsc_fbt1.JPG

qsc_fbt2.JPG

qsc_fbt3.JPG

All in all, I am very please with the FBT's so far. Tomorrow night I will play live with the band.

More to come.

Great review, and the photos are perfect.

I am curious to hear the 12MA next to the new QSC K12, which is supposed to be smoother and flatter than the HPR. If my pair of 12MA's ever gets here, I will post the results.

Thanks MKeditor, for the thoughtful review.

rp911 said:
I am curious to hear the 12MA next to the new QSC K12, which is supposed to be smoother and flatter than the HPR. If my pair of 12MA's ever gets here, I will post the results.
I'm really glad to see that someone will be able to do this comparison. This will be very interesting to hear.

Terry.

Thanks MK. Great review.
I am pretty sure that I will be keeping my QSC's and getting another 12ma!

MK how did you like the size of the sweet spot in the FBT and how did it compair to the QSC's traditional design?

Sixstring said:
MK how did you like the size of the sweet spot in the FBT and how did it compair to the QSC's traditional design?

I don't venture around the stage like I did in my youth, so the sweet spot hasn't been something I have considered much. I will let others comment on that. I will say I like having all the frequencies coming from one area than being divided into two. The tighter focus is better for controlled feedback too.

MK Thanks for that! I assume you will be using the 12ma's as monitors and not backline " cabs" in your live band?

MKeditor said:
Sixstring said:

I don't venture around the stage like I did in my youth, so the sweet spot hasn't been something I have considered much. I will let others comment on that. I will say I like having all the frequencies coming from one area than being divided into two. The tighter focus is better for controlled feedback too.

I like that about the Coaxial design speaker. The Raidian micro wedge I used to play through was the same way and like your saying the way everything comes through is much better.

TonyGring said:
MK Thanks for that! I assume you will be using the 12ma's as monitors and not backline " cabs" in your live band?

Correct. I started doing that about four years ago with my CAA 1X12s with my big rack system. I can't see doing it any other way now.....unless it was a big stadium gig.

Thanks for the great review, I might have to start saving up for a 12ma, maybe seel my HPR122i as well! I feel the GAS building within me :)

Thanks a bunch for the review MKeditor! Just out of interest, did the FBT keep up volume wise with the HPR? ie will it be sufficient to carry a room like a HPR can (at a pinch) with a full band and drummer?

TimmyM

TimmyM said:
Thanks a bunch for the review MKeditor! Just out of interest, did the FBT keep up volume wise with the HPR? ie will it be sufficient to carry a room like a HPR can (at a pinch) with a full band and drummer?

TimmyM

I didn't push either hard in the test because that is not one of my goals. To the contrary, I am endeavoring to keep as much on my sound from spilling over as possible....to allow the FOH more control over the mix. Therefore....I am not the best person advise in this area.....although.....short of a bashing, pain and suffering, gnashing of teeth, bleeding out the ears, heavy metal band.....you should be more than fine. ;)

MK - any thoughts on how the overall linearity and clarity of the FBT's would compare to a good pair of studio monitors, at moderate volumes?

I understand that they're not comparable in terms of intended use, just wondering for home-use. I use the QSC raised off the floor, to avoid the coupling effect in the bottom end.

I am not completely sure of your question, Brian, but I will give it a shot. The 12ma is far better for home use on several levels than the hr122i. I run my monitor mix of the band through my speakers. Also at times I run music through them to learn cover songs. The 12ma is much better because it is a truer reproducing than the hr122i which has something odd in the upper mids. As for comparing the 12ma to studio monitors....I will answer with this: If recording, I want to hear through studio monitors. When practicing, I want to play through what I gig with.

I hope this helps.

Thanks; I'm just straight foh and the monitor situation varies greatly.

While I'll still continue to do foh, I am considering a 12MA in front (facing me) and maybe the Atomic FA solution (backing me). Frankly, that might be more than I really want to carry but because of your earlier comparison of the FBT & QSC, this is what I am thinking. Thanks for the great comparison.

I experimented using a QSC K12 backline and FBT 12ma in front. Didn't work well. Comb filtering washed out my backline and bandmates complained of muddiness (however, I was in tonal bliss). Depending on your band monitoring, this might or might not be an issue in your set-up.

Back
Top Bottom