QSC PA Opinions

I was kind of mixing topics.....but I was thinking passive 2x12's....and feed them the proper power (from my Crown iTech's).
Was thinking they would likely be a great option because you're getting a 2x12 in a small box.
I have yet to see another 2x12 coax box.....

ah... my bad!!!!

You are correct though!

I was just stuck in 'Add Feature Mode'... not found a cure yet for that! :)

ah... my bad!!!!

You are correct though!

I was just stuck in 'Add Feature Mode'... not found a cure yet for that! :)

My fault, my post didn't read well.

Still could be an option though....just need to find a mountable amp with more power.....or talk the matrix guys into doing it. :)
I personally like passive for FOH...but more people seem to like powered speakers.

I have both the Neo and standard active wedges. They sound the same, but they don't feel the same when you lift them. What a difference that 15lbs makes! I am probably going to ship my non-neo wedge back for the upgrade this week. Life is too short to be lifting that much weight all the time. The Neo version feels like a feather next to the standard one. Well worth the money if you move them a lot. Cheaper than the doctor bills for treating a bad back ;o)

I have both the Neo and standard active wedges. They sound the same, but they don't feel the same when you lift them. What a difference that 15lbs makes! I am probably going to ship my non-neo wedge back for the upgrade this week. Life is too short to be lifting that much weight all the time. The Neo version feels like a feather next to the standard one. Well worth the money if you move them a lot. Cheaper than the doctor bills for treating a bad back ;o)

I hear you on that one. Been using a pair of 4X12's onstage forever, but I am getting old. I just love the STACK behind me, LOL

I hear you on that one. Been using a pair of 4X12's onstage forever, but I am getting old. I just love the STACK behind me, LOL

Yeah, I get that. I used to have 10 Marshall cabs on stage. But it is time to leave the 70's and 80's and embrace the new paradigm: less is more. Most bands have almost no equipment onstage these days. With the new technologies we are able to get all of our gear including PA and lights into a small trailer. In "the day" I used to use a 24' truck. Set up used to take 3 or 4 hours, now it takes less than an hour. I don't miss those old days :encouragement:

BBN I went with the Behringer X32 rack and want to say much appreciated. Can't believe what I am about to say but this mixer kicks some serious butt. It was a no brainer when I discovered it will be late 2015 before Presonus impements any MIDI functionality on their rackmount mixer. MIDI is at the heart of our gig.

Trying to put together some funds to go QSC KW181 bottoms with CLR active wedges for tops.

BBN I went with the Behringer X32 rack and want to say much appreciated. Can't believe what I am about to say but this mixer kicks some serious butt. It was a no brainer when I discovered it will be late 2015 before Presonus impements any MIDI functionality on their rackmount mixer. MIDI is at the heart of our gig.

Trying to put together some funds to go QSC KW181 bottoms with CLR active wedges for tops.

Excellent!
You are going to love it.
I'm the kind of person who is always looking for the next big mixer with the newest features...etc. And I have yet to find one that beats this.
It's hard for me to be satisfied, ever......but I absolutely am with the Xrack.

NAMM is next week....I can't wait to go to the Behringer booth and talk some shop with those guys.

I just checked Behringer website for X32 rack info and found they are putting out what I really need for now: XR12. Wow, what a concept. The format is genius, it's like a snake breakout box where you put it in the middle and control it wirelessly (ipad on stage, macbook at home) using built-in wifi. Everything for a small show for $300. With powered speakers/subs/monitor it will be totally incredible, light and fast to setup/unsetup!!!

BBN, I am anxious to hear about what you find at the Behringer booth. I have been considering the X32 series for a few months now and keep going back and forth between the rack and the producer (which is rack-mountable). If you have any input on this idea please don't hesitate to let me know :)
Not sure if I need the snake on the stage, but it sounds like a great idea as well. Then the rack, with the X32 (whichever model) could be elsewhere (not onstage) and controlled via iPad...I am correct in my thinking here>>

BBN, I am anxious to hear about what you find at the Behringer booth. I have been considering the X32 series for a few months now and keep going back and forth between the rack and the producer (which is rack-mountable). If you have any input on this idea please don't hesitate to let me know :)
Not sure if I need the snake on the stage, but it sounds like a great idea as well. Then the rack, with the X32 (whichever model) could be elsewhere (not onstage) and controlled via iPad...I am correct in my thinking here>>

There are tons of options....but I just put the xrack somewhere close enough so that my xlrs can reach it....and I control with my ipad.
So you're right, you don't need a snake.....you just need the xrack or whichever you chose, to be close enough to plug in....and you control with iPad from anywhere. Doesn't matter where the mixer is.....

I will definitely report back with any cool new mixers I see at namm....behringer or otherwise.

Take a look at the XR12 (or XR16 and XR18 ), it's in a snake breakout box form factor. So you put it where you usually put your snake (my usage :) ) so a bit different from X32 rack. Also there's a builtin wifi to control it from wherever you want with iPad, tablet, laptop (waiting for midi implementation to see if I can use my Avid Command8 ). You can go to your powered speakers or your amp rack from there. Again this will be perfect for MY usage, YMMV.

Take a look at the XR12 (or XR16 and XR18 ), it's in a snake breakout box form factor. So you put it where you usually put your snake (my usage :) ) so a bit different from X32 rack. Also there's a builtin wifi to control it from wherever you want with iPad, tablet, laptop (waiting for midi implementation to see if I can use my Avid Command8 ). You can go to your powered speakers or your amp rack from there. Again this will be perfect for MY usage, YMMV.

I like the look of the XR units as well.
The ONLY thing I'd need to work out before using one is....what is the back up plan if your iPad/tablet dies...or if the wifi for some reason doesn't connect.

I had this happen last week with my X-Rack and I had a moment of panic (router died)....then remembered....I still have the front panel controls.
I'm not sure how to solve that with the XR series.

The ONLY thing I'd need to work out before using one is....what is the back up plan if your iPad/tablet dies...or if the wifi for some reason doesn't connect.

I had this happen last week with my X-Rack and I had a moment of panic (router died)....then remembered....I still have the front panel controls.

This is an excellent point. The main reason I was considering the Producer over the X-Rack was for the controls.
I am sure I can wean myself off the full size board, yet not having the controls there...I'm afraid it's going to freak me out, HA!!

Just the thought of being able to use my iPad to work my board is AWESOME!!! Maybe just got to give it a shot soon.

This was the deciding factor for me choosing the producer model over the rack.

This was the deciding factor for me choosing the producer model over the rack.

When I first bought the Mackie DL1608, I had a real tough time (mentally) letting go of having no controls other than the iPad.
Coming from using a Yamaha O1V96 for years (with a wireless tablet), I still loved having a fader to grab quickly.
I 'thought' about the Behringer Producer for this same reason....but the X-rack (for me) has enough quick control capability with it's front panel.
Very much like the Axe...once you learn to use it, you can navigate quickly. But I fully understand the desire to still have a control surface...I sometimes wish I still had faders in a pinch.....but I like the smaller footprint more. :)

If router dies: I think you can plug your iPad directly using usb camera adapter.
If iPad dies: get your iPhone out of your pocket ;)
We are talking about $300 digital mixer, some compromises might be done, if not that's why the X32 exists :)

If router dies: I think you can plug your iPad directly using usb camera adapter.

nope. at least for the x32, the ipad cannot be hardwired to the device; it must be wireless. a computer can be hardwired though via ethernet. i really don't like that, as i'd love to hardwire the ipad. that said, i haven't really had wireless connectivity issues.

nope. at least for the x32, the ipad cannot be hardwired to the device; it must be wireless. a computer can be hardwired though via ethernet. i really don't like that, as i'd love to hardwire the ipad. that said, i haven't really had wireless connectivity issues.

Agreed, I've hard wired my laptop....but I don't love it (and I don't always carry a spare laptop).

I have toyed with the idea of getting a droid tablet and seeing if that would hard wire.

Chris, have you tried that??

Great thread! Thanks, BBN, for sharing all this. A question: are you using stage monitors or in-ears with your X32? Thanks.

Great thread! Thanks, BBN, for sharing all this. A question: are you using stage monitors or in-ears with your X32? Thanks.

We use both.
Drummer always uses ears, but rest of band usually uses wedges.
Sometimes me or my other guitar player will use ears, but it's infrequent.
As we swap out a few different wedges, having the ability to save different Eq presets is awesome.

I saw the x18 at namm this week, it's really cool. Really really small for such a great set of features.
Im still waiting to see what the final app looks like before I buy one.

Back
Top Bottom