QSC KW122?

zaphoid

Inspired
Has anyone tried one of these? Is the only difference between this and the K12 the fact that is made of wood? This looks like a really nice solution, albeit expensive. Is this the replacement for the QSC HPR122i?
Thanks for any responses!

Hey zap,
I would like to know a little about these also, but can not seem to find any reviews or people who have tried them. If you do get any replies I will be reading them also. I'm wondering how much of a difference the wood cab will make good or bad and if it is worth $300.00 more. Hoping someone will reply.

Ed
:?:

I know. We may be into some unbroken ground here. The features of this monitor look amazing... I assume the wood enclosure would only improve the sound.... I have a Verve 12ma on order .... but as it goes its going to be a while and my patience is running thin. These QSC's are readily available.

zaphoid said:
I know. We may be into some unbroken ground here. The features of this monitor look amazing... I assume the wood enclosure would only improve the sound.... I have a Verve 12ma on order .... but as it goes its going to be a while and my patience is running thin. These QSC's are readily available.

If memory serves: one of the major reasons people here like the FBT Verve 12's are because the birch wood enclosure. Also, one of the chief complainants with the QSC K12 is that it can sound "plasticy" because of the ABS enclosure.

Could this be a FBT Verve killer?!? (I too, am getting tired of waiting for FBT...)

I guess I need to be a tester if I can get some funds together and give this bas boy a shot. See what I can come up with. It does read nice, but we all know how that goes. Just thought with the well thought out components and being in a birch cabinet maybe it would sound even better than the ABS cab and be a little more durable should rough situation arise.
Keep you posted if I can come up with the funds to give one a play.

Ed
:ugeek:

claxor said:
zaphoid said:

If memory serves: one of the major reasons people here like the FBT Verve 12's are because the birch wood enclosure. Also, one of the chief complainants with the QSC K12 is that it can sound "plasticy" because of the ABS enclosure.

Could this be a FBT Verve killer?!? (I too, am getting tired of waiting for FBT...)

I strongly disagree, I believe it's the the Coaxial speaker design and the crossover freq that FBT is using in the Verve series. The birch cabs are a nice add but doubt they contribute that much to the tone where it counts... upper mids in this case. The KW 112 uses the same power amp module as the K series packed in a birch cab which my have a warmer over all tone when compared to the K series wether or not it's a Verve killer, a side by side shoot out would be in order.

I do not really care if it is a verve killer. Just wondering if anyone had used, tried, or heard one. FBT seems to have some issues with shipping to U.S. Would rather spend my money on American made product where possible. QSC has a better warranty and is readily available. Myself I think the KW series is a bit pricey for my check book at this time. The K series looks pretty promising though.

Ed
:mrgreen:

weathertite1 said:
I do not really care if it is a verve killer. Just wondering if anyone had used, tried, or heard one. FBT seems to have some issues with shipping to U.S. Would rather spend my money on American made product where possible. QSC has a better warranty and is readily available. Myself I think the KW series is a bit pricey for my check book at this time. The K series looks pretty promising though.

Ed
:mrgreen:

Some really like the K series. I already had the Verve speakers that I'm using when the K series started getting popular. I demoed a K12 at the Local GC and I though it sounded really good and like you have mentioned their warranty is top notch, though I don't think they are 100% American made but rather assembled here but that's trivial at best if your weighing it against the Verve. I don't know what's up with FBT and availability of the Verve series. I personally really like the sound of the Verve wether I'm using it for the Axe or general PA speakers they are very transparent and pleasant sounding. But if I had to wait months on end for it I would go QSC as they do sound really good as well.

Sixstring said:
claxor said:
zaphoid said:

I strongly disagree, I believe it's the the Coaxial speaker design and the crossover freq that FBT is using in the Verve series. The birch cabs are a nice add but doubt they contribute that much to the tone where it counts... upper mids in this case. The KW 112 uses the same power amp module as the K series packed in a birch cab which my have a warmer over all tone when compared to the K series wether or not it's a Verve killer, a side by side shoot out would be in order.

Ok, so how do you feel about the BEYMA 12XA30ND in a cab?

claxor said:

Ether 212 or 412 cab?... I think I would give RMC a call and see how much they charge to build that type of enclosure as they have already done the R&D. At the very least pick there brain to see if they just use an empty guitar cab and give it some kind of internal treatment or alteration in some way. Unless you have those speakers laying around you might get a better deal going that rought. @ $400 + a pop the BEYMA speakers aren't exactly inexpensive.

If your talking just a basic 112 FR wedge I would do that as a cool little project but to be honest by the time you find or build and finnish an enclosure the Verve 12m might run you the same money and you have less headache, it comes in a nice box and has a name attached to it so you an option of resale and a 3 year warranty... providing someone has then in stock of course :lol:

Sixstring said:
claxor said:

Ether 212 or 412 cab?... I think I would give RMC a call and see how much they charge to build that type of enclosure as they have already done the R&D. At the very least pick there brain to see if they just use an empty guitar cab and give it some kind of internal treatment or alteration in some way. Unless you have those speakers laying around you might get a better deal going that rought. @ $400 + a pop the BEYMA speakers aren't exactly inexpensive.

If your talking just a basic 112 FR wedge I would do that as a cool little project but to be honest by the time you find or build and finnish an enclosure the Verve 12m might run you the same money and you have less headache, it comes in a nice box and has a name attached to it so you an option of resale and a 3 year warranty... providing someone has then in stock of course :lol:

Actually, I was thinking of Boogafunk making a 112 FR wedge with a BEYMA 12XA30ND. Thoughts?

claxor said:
Sixstring said:
claxor said:

Actually, I was thinking of Boogafunk making a 112 FR wedge with a BEYMA 12XA30ND. Thoughts?

If they have the knowledge and are willing to do the build and you have the cash, I say why not ;)

I A/B d them against the K12, EV ELX12P? JBL PRX612? Yamaha DSR12? the KW122 sounded much better to me, albeit not in my budget. Elsewhere I listened to an HPR 122i - not nearly as good as the KW122 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom