Qsc k12.2 and boss looper!

pierre.pan

Hi everybody,

Here is my home set up/chain :
config quest.jpg
On this case, no problem, all works nicely.
I have replaced the headrush with a qsc k12.2, here is the issue. In this configuration, the output volume of the qsc is very very lowered,
1/4 vol clr = 3/4 vol qsc!

I have tried the qsc connected directly to the output 1 of the axe (with a standard xlr), and there is a normal vol output, similar as the headrush.

I have tried this thing:
output jack of the boss : trs jack with stereo cable, 2 tip, - and ground to sleeve
input of the qsc: xlr cable, 2+, 1 ground, 3 -, ground and 3 sold together
Same result as the mono jack (ts) connection

I have also tried different presets of the qsc, no results, test the two main channels, in "line" input config, same thing.

So my question is:
the qsc need an xlr type, ou trs cable, with + - and ground? A simple mono signal doesn't work...
I think the output of the looper in not in case, works very well with the two others.

If someone can help me, i will appreciate a lot, and sorry, my english is not good, perhaps enough to understand...

Thanks a lot

Pierre

Last edited:
The k12.2 is 2000 watts as is the headrush. I used a asc-12 and a qsc 12.2 and the amp in the qsc reset. Some kind of software update. Maybe it's been corrected. After that I did not want a qsc for my ax3. I know tons of players use them and rightfully so. I lost interest in the 2000 watts marketing. The 1st gen was 1000 watts continuous, which for a 12" main is more than enough. So the typical powered speaker these days rates the power at whatever they want for some uncanny reason. Its usually DBs at the end of the day.. seems you have some kind of buffering issue? Why would a 2000 watt powered main not knock your head off even at 1/4 volume much less 3/4? 1/4 is 500 watts... or one would think , if not it definitely should be loud!!! Did they taper the output knob to be 1800 watts in the last 8th of the knob? Have you tried dumping the boss looper? Ideally that defeats the purpose but maybe helps give insight. Cheers

I actually used the the QSC K12 V1 and then V2 for a long time with my AX8 and an external looper l for a live set up. I do think the V2's were slightly beefier but they surely had a lot of punch and no issue with power. If I remember correctly I used to run the Ax8 1/4 (not TRS) to the QSC's line level setting. I think I did try XLR but for some reason I did not like that setting....not that really should have made a difference based on all the specs. I guess my thought is, you should not really be having such a drastic volume drop. If I was using these say in a 3000+ seat venue, I would maybe set the volume at 10 o'clock, 11 at the most. But never half way. I also found using 2 together was easily loud enough to keep up with my tube set up. The QSCs were always louder than any kind of PA speaker set up I used at the time and that included a Xitone, CLR or anything I else I tried. So you should be getting volume out of these.

The k12.2 is 2000 watts as is the headrush. I used a asc-12 and a qsc 12.2 and the amp in the qsc reset. Some kind of software update. Maybe it's been corrected. After that I did not want a qsc for my ax3. I know tons of players use them and rightfully so. I lost interest in the 2000 watts marketing. The 1st gen was 1000 watts continuous, which for a 12" main is more than enough. So the typical powered speaker these days rates the power at whatever they want for some uncanny reason. Its usually DBs at the end of the day.. seems you have some kind of buffering issue? Why would a 2000 watt powered main not knock your head off even at 1/4 volume much less 3/4? 1/4 is 500 watts... or one would think , if not it definitely should be loud!!! Did they taper the output knob to be 1800 watts in the last 8th of the knob? Have you tried dumping the boss looper? Ideally that defeats the purpose but maybe helps give insight. Cheers
Hi, and thanks, but honestly, the question is not the max power, i don't care, if it's enough for live situation. The clr has the same output power as the headrush or the qsc. yes 1000w is really enough, but this is not the question. I don't want to push the poweramp at 3/4 and having a little power. Don't need to play with 1000w, but with the real power of the qsc, just that. In fact perhaps a buffering issue, but no problem with the two other...

I actually used the the QSC K12 V1 and then V2 for a long time with my AX8 and an external looper l for a live set up. I do think the V2's were slightly beefier but they surely had a lot of punch and no issue with power. If I remember correctly I used to run the Ax8 1/4 (not TRS) to the QSC's line level setting. I think I did try XLR but for some reason I did not like that setting....not that really should have made a difference based on all the specs. I guess my thought is, you should not really be having such a drastic volume drop. If I was using these say in a 3000+ seat venue, I would maybe set the volume at 10 o'clock, 11 at the most. But never half way. I also found using 2 together was easily loud enough to keep up with my tube set up. The QSCs were always louder than any kind of PA speaker set up I used at the time and that included a Xitone, CLR or anything I else I tried. So you should be getting volume out of these.
Yes, in fact there is a problem, perhaps it's the looper, but as i said, no problem with the two others.
Try using in/out 3 to put the Boss in a AxeFx loop & XLR/TRS straight to monitors.
View attachment 109823
i will try this, i think it will work, thanks

Seems to be a setting somewhere vs the actual QSC. What happens if you take out the looper?
if i connect the qsc directly to the output 1 with xlr, it's ok, power similar as the headrush, very loud. I think there is something, impedance or else in the output of the looper that is not compatble with tha qsc. However the looper works very well with the two others

if i connect the qsc directly to the output 1 with xlr, it's ok, power similar as the headrush, very loud. I think there is something, impedance or else in the output of the looper that is not compatble with tha qsc. However the looper works very well with the two others
So with the looper, what kind of cable are using from it to the QSC?

I would bet the boss looper has unbalanced inputs and outputs. That is the issue for you I would wager. You’re getting -10 Db instead of +4

I would bet the boss looper has unbalanced inputs and outputs. That is the issue for you I would wager. You’re getting -10 Db instead of +4
yes that's probably that, but why don't i have this issue with the clr and headrush...it's an electronic mystery for me

Yup that would be my guess. Some devices are different. I can go AF to my UA studio with XLR/TRS cables but with QC I cannot. Different set ups.

Back
Top Bottom