QSC K10 and K12 issue.... read if you are considering these

zhguitar

I have had my K10s for awhile now. I love the way they sound. I have been experiencing an ongoing problem however. I thought I would post it here as a heads up to my brothers and sisters who may be considering purchasing these.

At moderately loud volumes the XLR cable comes loose and falls out. There is a crackling noise and cutting out of sound and then it cuts out completely.

I have rigged a fix but it is just not worth the hassle. (Yes I tried several different cables) (Yes they are plugged in all the way)

I contacted QSC through there forum back in November. There were several others with the same problem. QSC said they could not reproduce and have made no offer to correct the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have two K10s and do lots of live dates, but I haven't had this problem where the XLR jack falls out of the back of the K10. Maybe I don't crank mine as hard as you crank yours. :lol

You might consider replacing the XLR plug on the guilty cable. You could also put a loop (or two) of masking tape around the outside of the XLR plug shell and see if that adds any retaining friction when the plug is inserted.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to replace the jack with the 'locking' ones

Ah good point. I'm mod-obsessed, so I prob shouldn't have even mentioned it lol

Here's a cheap 'old school fix then - bend the prongs of the XLR cable you're inserting very slightly - enough to make it 'snag' when inserted, and it will be pretty snug in there.

Careful, just a slight bend - too much will break it!

I use my K8s as backline playing with guys who like a lot more volume than I do. No issues with cables coming out.

It happened to me once when I didn't use my Planet Waves jack cable. My PW cable fits in snugly compared to other cables.

I thought that my K10 was blowing up when it happened - very ugly crackling.

Any new developments on this issue?

This just happened to my KW152's. I've been using them for two years with no issues. Last week we were pushing them harder outside - lot's of kick drum, but not bass in FOH (full range - no subs) and both loosed up more than once. Two new XLR connectors (Neutrik and I think the other may have been a Switchcraft - either way not the same make/model). I really hate to tape these up, but if so I may get some right angle XLRs to assist.

I bought a couple K12's a few years ago at Guitar center and they had one sealed brand new in the box and the only other one they had was an open box return. I use them for vocals at band practice and not for my guitar, using CLRS. Anyway, one has the locking XLR jack and one doesn't. I don't know if they changed theym later on or what. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom