QSC K Users - mimicking "vocal boost" switch

ThrillGrill

I'm currently using QSC K12's with my AX8. I have searched the forums and it seems most AX8/QSC K users prefer the sound of the K series with the "vocal boost" enabled, due to the K series sounding "like a blanket over the amp" with it set to "flat". It's a fair complaint, the AX8 goes from dull to near perfect with the switch enabled regardless of the amp/ir combo.

I know that if I set my patches up with this vocal boost enabled, I could run into problems in FOH situations.

My question is: has anyone had any luck mimicking the vocal boost feature in a preset with some EQ parameters?
------------------------------------------------
FROM QSC:

"The K and KW series powered loudspeakers have a nifty feature called "Vocal Boost". This tailors the frequency response in the vocal range, giving a gentle boost of vocal frequencies so the vocals can cut through or rise above the other audio that might be playing through the loudspeaker."

"So, just how much boost is added when the feature is turned on?"

"+3 dB, centered at 2.5 kHz, with a Q of 0.5 (a Band Width of approximately 2-1/2 octaves)."

Used a k12 for 10+ years never sounded like a blanket. It’s amazing the different experience people get with monitors. I kept it on flat but stood it upright. As for the question, you could probably do some match eq stuff to find the frequency or possibly tone match it.

Used a k12 for 10+ years never sounded like a blanket. It’s amazing the different experience people get with monitors.

Agreed, I used a K12 for about 18 months and never experienced the 'blanket' thing, never used vocal boost, always set to flat. I kept mine mounted on a speaker stand though, never on the floor, maybe that made a difference.

agreed, Used the K for years. Never had a blanket feeling. I set it to flat and the sub out option to add a low cut when sitting on the floor.

I guess the blanket analogy may not be the best description. I would compare it to rolling the presence all the way down on a tube amp.

@yek I saw in posts a few years back you had some experience with the vocal boost on the K series, would you have any advice?

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the feedback!

I guess the blanket analogy may not be the best description. I would compare it to rolling the presence all the way down on a tube amp.

@yek I saw in posts a few years back you had some experience with the vocal boost on the K series, would you have any advice?

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the feedback!

Just really odd, i get the blanket analogy, but I was taming highs more than anything on that thing. once I got the high cut down to like 6-7k it sounded fine, left at 20k it would make ears bleed.

Back
Top Bottom