QSC K series users unite: tips, tricks, etc.

caseygree

Howdy, just bought a pair of QSC K8 (1000 watt versions). So far, I'm loving them, in part due to some tips I've already been able to glean from the forum.

Thought it would be good (since many people use them) to start an owners thread for people to share their tips, tricks and any other useful info (though not necessarily reviews...)

A few things I'd love feedback on:

- Preferred global settings within Axe for optimal EQ/levels
- Stage/live mix/band volume considerations
- Tips for running guitar + additional instruments or vocals

Here's a few things I've read so far that have been helpful:

- I roll off some highs and lows on the graphic eqs in the global menu. IIRC, -12db on 31 and 16k and -6db on 62 and 8k. I do this for both eqs, one for foh and one for my monitor, the QSC K10.

- The QSC K10 is not exactly "flat response." :) If you are looking to improve the K10's accuracy, my suggestions would be:
  1. Use "NORM" (LF) and "FLAT" (HF) settings. Never use the "DEEP" (LF) or the "VOCAL BOOST" (HF) settings.
  2. For gig volumes (95+ dB SPL), use EQ to cut the low and low-mid response by -3dB, from 700 Hz downward
  3. Check the polarity on the HF driver (tweeter) - there are reports of some K10s with phase reversed HF drivers
- Cab block settings? I use low-cut at 100 and hi-cut at 7k.

- Or engage the cut in the amp block located under the Bass knob, simply nav over to it and press enter!

Following this thread ... I run 2 x QSC K10's and basically perform the adjustments as you mentioned .. they are great speakers for the Fractal gear .!

I run a full QSC Setup with my band -- two K12 Mains -- QSC TouchMix 16 Board -- K10 (wedge for myself (flat)- band mix plus more guitar ) -- and it sounds great -- no fuss no tweaking -- everything flat on board for Axe -- my presets are tuned for my system.

No secrets or special sauce -- LOL

Sample of band in action

Caseygree, thanks for the post! I tried your global eq settings and it made a huge difference in my k-10s. I also did the polarity swap at the tweeter terminals and it made a significant difference. The Bogner cabs from Ownhammer have been my favorite sound with the k-10s so far for classic/hard rock tones. Been pretty much setting low/high cuts at 80/8000 in about every cab. The only thing I dislike about the K-10s is they seem to be VERY directional when comes to tone. Depending on what angle,height, and distance you are from them they can sound very different. I have been dialing in tones with woofer at ear height turned directly at me about 10' away.

Back
Top Bottom