Qauntum v2.01Beta U2 Clip

Axeman

Experienced
Here is a comparison of my Pride preset to the deleted scene in "It Might Get Loud." Edge first in each part and then my preset. I made a mistake and played one part twice. There is a hollow sound to the IMGL scene because it was recorded in a huge room. My preset has more clarity because it was recorded direct. You can also hear Edge's pick hitting the strings whereas I didn't have a mic on the guitar.

The Edge will change his sound, I fear. There are to many great copies here:D

How have you achieved such a great sound? Standard Strat?

The Edge will change his sound, I fear. There are to many great copies here:D

How have you achieved such a great sound? Standard Strat?

It's a Custom Shop, but I don't think that's the key. I use Kinman pups which have great mid-range and chime, but not too ice-picky. I just posted these two tutorials on how I converge to any tone (iteration using reference clips of live songs). I never use tone matching. I apologize in advance, as these are very long videos (I don't have time to script them out). In Part 2 I took the time to start with the default model and show how I change certain parameters to get what I think is a better AC-30 model. I don't end up with my exact model, but it's very close and illustrates how even a hack like me can get great tone out of the amp block.

Part 1:

Part 2:

This is fantastic and really helpfull. Tx a lot.

Yes, in the Pride clip, I agree, and I mentioned above my tone is brighter. When I play with a backtrack it fills out and I need it it cut through the bass etc. Also, his track is with a mic in a big room and who knows if any post production was done on the track. The mic etc can make a difference. So we have no idea what his tone sounded like right there in front of the amp. My clip is all direct. I could certainly make my preset more nasal with no problem. I just don't like it because it's set up more towards other live clips. I have other clips of Edge where the tone is not that nasal. It varies depending on the year and set up of how it was recorded. So many variables.

Yes, in the Pride clip, I agree, and I mentioned above my tone is brighter. When I play with a backtrack it fills out and I need it it cut through the bass etc. Also, his track is with a mic in a big room and who knows if any post production was done on the track. The mic etc can make a difference. So we have no idea what his tone sounded like right there in front of the amp. My clip is all direct. I could certainly make my preset more nasal with no problem. I just don't like it because it's set up more towards other live clips. I have other clips of Edge where the tone is not that nasal. It varies depending on the year and set up of how it was recorded. So many variables.

Your tone is just so spot on. i play in a cover band and have a big focus on amongst others U2 songs (I will follow, WOWY, pride, Streets, Bad etc) I am even surprised you put your delay after the cab block. I tend to have better results when putting it before the amp Block. Would you mind sharing some insight on your delay settings as well. I never quite get the modulation right. using 2.5 kHZ on the 2290 with depth around 50 but still feels a bit empty on my side. And yes .. so many variables but that is the charm of tweaking I guess..
btw, I can confirm what you say. the default Vox TB amp is not giving the good basis for the U2 tone. have been tweaking it a lot as well, but never with your result.

Last point Axeman, congrats on all the work you have been doing on U2 sounds, playing style, notes etc. It ihas become, in my opinion, the basis for every cover band playing U2 throughout the world.

This is mainly a tone tutorial right?
Because the delay is not correct. Just asking, not nitpicking.

So far I can see on the video, the delay is perfect for streets.
127 bpm, 354 ms

Thanks Michael for the videos.

Very informative videos, lots of good ideas and amazing tones!!

Thanks for doing this! :)

Back
Top Bottom