Q1.01 Narrow Panel Tweed

I will be giving this a try later tonight..........

For this amp model I don't adjust anything in the tonestack but the Treble control.

Changing only the Input and Treble seems to give the most authentic reproduction of the original amp to my ears.

For this amp model I don't adjust anything in the tonestack but the Treble control.

Changing only the Input and Treble seems to give the most authentic reproduction of the original amp to my ears.

That's because the original just had a Volume control and Tone control(which is modeled in the Axe as the Treble control). Changing anything else would make it sound different than the original it was modeled after. I've still got to work out that Edge of breakup sound for me.... I play with humbucker guitars exclusively, so I've got some dialing to do still.....

Just out of curiosity though.....what IR did you use in the clip above? Was it a stock IR or one from a Cab Pack or from OH or what???

Yeah, I saw that....just wasn't sure if that's what you had used. I love that IR!!! I was finally able to make a tolerable AC30 patch with it......no IR felt right or sounded right to me till I tried that one out.

Yeah, I saw that....just wasn't sure if that's what you had used. I love that IR!!! I was finally able to make a tolerable AC30 patch with it......no IR felt right or sounded right to me till I tried that one out.

Yep that is the IR. It's pretty good. It's not as perfect as the OH JY Vox IR's. But the imperfections do add to the realism. It holds up really well exposed.

I still haven't purchased Cab Lab, so I can't buy any of the 3rd party IR's yet. I've been meaning to for quiet a while, but can just never bring myself to do it when I can make it happen with the Fractal Cab Packs and Stock IR's.

You still can use 3rd party IRs without Cab Lab, you simply can't mix them or convert a .wav file to an IR or syx file. (There are other programs that can do that, I think, but Cab Lab is completely worth it.)

Deluxe Tweed model, right?

I'm finding a number of amp models that work well with these new Blue IRs. Cornford, for instance. I love that.

It's funny how sticking with one IR can be a great learning experience. Different cabs really do sound different. Our ears tend to trick us sometimes. Sometimes, I can just tell when an amp/cab sound mismatched, but not always.

You still can use 3rd party IRs without Cab Lab, you simply can't mix them or convert a .wav file to an IR or syx file. (There are other programs that can do that, I think, but Cab Lab is completely worth it.)

Yeah, but they are standard resolution, correct? You have to have Cab Lab to make them Hi/Ultra Res.......so that would be pointless to have one without the other. Like I said, I've just never got around to buying it....I've been meaning too, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Deluxe Tweed model, right?

I'm finding a number of amp models that work well with these new Blue IRs. Cornford, for instance. I love that.

It's funny how sticking with one IR can be a great learning experience. Different cabs really do sound different. Our ears tend to trick us sometimes. Sometimes, I can just tell when an amp/cab sound mismatched, but not always.

Yeah it's the deluxe tweed amp model.

I like to use very few IR's as in what you are saying about learning. If I know what an IR sounds like, then it let's me evaluate amp models easier.

But there is a big caveat because I have found some IR's pair great with the default settings of one amp model but don't really work with the default settings of another model. Even though in real life, the real cabs I love work with all my real amps. I attribute this to the SPKR page parameters in the amp block. My theory is the default SPKR page settings don't pair favorably with just any IR.

If there was a way to capture the impedance/spkr page settings to match the IR and then load that into the AMP block SPKR page, like a .z file, I think that would really be added value.

Yeah, but they are standard resolution, correct? You have to have Cab Lab to make them Hi/Ultra Res.......so that would be pointless to have one without the other. Like I said, I've just never got around to buying it....I've been meaning too, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

I don't use Cab Lab a ton, but I think it's worth the $. OH for example, deliver their IR's in .wav format so Cab Lab is a convenient way to get them into the box. Also, you have the option of batch converting .wav files and not applying the minimum phase transform as well.

Yeah it's the deluxe tweed amp model.

I like to use very few IR's as in what you are saying about learning. If I know what an IR sounds like, then it let's me evaluate amp models easier.

But there is a big caveat because I have found some IR's pair great with the default settings of one amp model but don't really work with the default settings of another model. Even though in real life, the real cabs I love work with all my real amps. I attribute this to the SPKR page parameters in the amp block. My theory is the default SPKR page settings don't pair favorably with just any IR.

If there was a way to capture the impedance/spkr page settings to match the IR and then load that into the AMP block SPKR page, like a .z file, I think that would really be added value.

I have had the exact same experience and wish this was something that we were able to get our hands on. That info would be another step in making things feel/sound closer to the "real deal", but then that may hurt the IR cab sales.

Back
Top Bottom