Purpose of UAS ASIO buffer settings?

j20056

Inspired
New AF3 user here, so apologies if trivial.
My use case is analog outputs into a Focusrite Clarett+ interface. I am not using the AF3 as the computer interface therefore.
In this case, are the settings in the FASUSBAudio relevant at all?
Assuming I want to further reduce latency (not that I noticed any) I was thinking about using the SPDIF AF3 output to avoid an DAC-ADC conversion out of the AF3 into the Clarett. If I do that, will the FASUSBAusio settings become relevant and dictate the sampling rate and buffer size of what gets sent to my interface?

No and no. The only user-adjustable relevant buffer size for latency in either scenario is the usb buffer for the Clarett. You will need to use 48kHz if you use spdif, and yes, using spdif will reduce your monitoring latency, but doing so will only reduce an already small amount of latency by a small amount. One would generally do that for better recording fidelity, not to reduce latency. Also note, assuming you're monitoring direct, the latency due to the usb buffer size is almost entirely irrelevant when recording guitar.

For details, see:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Last edited:
Thank you.
So assuming I never use the AF3 as an audio interface, then the FAS ASIO driver is irrelevant? The quick start manual seems to insist that it must be installed. If so, I suppose I should set it to 512 or even 1024 buffers just to make sure it doesn't cripple my CPU even if unused. I'm on Windows so I cannot use aggregate devices like on Mac which is why I won't use the AF3 as an interface, besides having the Clarett.

Back
Top Bottom