Puppet Master EQ pedal? Hetfield/Load tone

I'm trying to tonematch Hetfield on Load, and on one video I watched on YouTube, the dude totally nailed it with the Puppet Master EQ pedal, which is based on the EQ of the Aphex EQF-2. This dude did not have an FM3, and I really don't want to spend $200 on a pedal if I don't have to... 😂

How can I mimic the settings of the pedal? And how is it different/special than any other EQ pedal?

"Controls for each frequency band include: low frequency boost, mid frequency cut, and high shelf level along with selectable low, mid, and high frequencies.

Low Frequency range: 25-500Hz, 12dB boost.

Mid Frequency range: 250 - 5000 Hz, 12dB cut.

High Frequency range: 1 - 20 kHz, 12dB"

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like the PEQ should cover it.

The product description calls it a "semi-parametric" EQ although I'm not sure why...

How would I translate the settings from the pedal to the parametric EQ on the FM3? I'm not sure how to literally translate low/mid/high and low/mid/high frequency to what I see on the FM3 Peq. Maybe it's called semi-parametric because it clearly has nowhere near the controls of a real one.. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Attachments

• 904D17D6-55D4-4A5B-B7FB-EB2DA4D288F5.jpeg
    904D17D6-55D4-4A5B-B7FB-EB2DA4D288F5.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 17
  • DF8EDD4E-59DE-4326-BD31-8C5EF163C5EF.jpeg
    DF8EDD4E-59DE-4326-BD31-8C5EF163C5EF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
How would I translate the settings from the pedal to the parametric EQ on the FM3? I'm not sure how to literally translate low/mid/high and low/mid/high frequency to what I see on the FM3 Peq. Maybe it's called semi-parametric because it clearly has nowhere near the controls of a real one.. ¯\(ツ)/¯
Interesting - the pedal you doesn't look anything like Aphex EQF-2.

But this also shows up:

https://www.mastereffectspedals.com/pmeq

That product page says "based on Aphex EQF-2" and then I realized I didn't read your post exactly correct (since that's what you said).

Reading your original post again, I see you're just specifying the value ranges from the pedal - on first glance, I thought you posted settings.

If you have some specific settings you're trying to emulate then it would be easier for someone to tell you how to set the PEQ.

Interesting - the pedal you doesn't look anything like Aphex EQF-2.

But this also shows up:

https://www.mastereffectspedals.com/pmeq

That product page says "based on Aphex EQF-2" and then I realized I didn't read your post exactly correct (since that's what you said).

Reading your original post again, I see you're just specifying the value ranges from the pedal - on first glance, I thought you posted settings.

If you have some specific settings you're trying to emulate then it would be easier for someone to tell you how to set the PEQ.
Yes sorry I just posted the photo in my last post. I'll post it again with my attempt to interpret what I was seeing... Which didn't sound at all correct (sounds much better without PEQ- but not quite "dialed in")

2902C2BA-1CD0-49E2-A83C-B2995C765C93.jpegC7CD2D85-4458-449F-88EA-9AAD804FC91A.jpeg

Yes sorry I just posted the photo in my last post. I'll post it again with my attempt to interpret what I was seeing... Which didn't sound at all correct (sounds much better without PEQ- but not quite "dialed in")

View attachment 125584View attachment 125585
Based upon the frequency ranges in your first post, you'd need 3 bands in the PEQ block. My interpretations of the pedal knobs positions would be:
Frequency 1 @ 300 Hz, Gain 1 @ 5.5 dB, Type 1 'Peaking'
Frequency 3 @ 1500 Hz, Gain 3 @ -1.5 dB, Type 3 'Peaking'
Frequency 5 @ 2000 Hz, Gain 5 @ 2.5 dB, Type 5 'Shelving'

You'll need to play around with the 'Q' values of frequencies 1 and 3 to get the sound dialed in, but start with the default of .707.

Back
Top Bottom