Psychedelic rock band FREAK - first teaser (FW17, Plexi 100W, OH pre-rola)

aens

Experienced
Psychedelic rock band FREAK (1977) - first teaser (FW17, Plexi 100W, OH pre-rola)

Here's a short historic first:

Few months ago I was handed this demo from 1977 from a band called Freak. Back then they were playing in the biggest venues at the time here in Finland (I wasn't even born back then). When I listened to the demo, the band sounded like a compilation of Pink Floyd and Wigwam (one of the biggest prog bands in Finland). It turned out so good that I listened it over and over and started playing the songs. Nowadays nobody knows about the band because they didn't release a public recording.

Suddenly just before a gig my with another band we had on January, our second guitar player decided to call it quits. After the gig I talked to our drummer who had played bass and drums on Freak. I asked about a reunion with his old band, because I thought the stuff was so brilliant. "Hell yeah, let's do it!" he answered me, and here we are. Now I'm playing in an almost 40 year old prog band with a 61 year old drummer... and I'm 23 at the moment. And I love it! :lol

Here's a recording from our very first rehearsals that I'd like to share with you. These songs are as old as the band and never been released to public before :shock Recorded straight from mixing console with slight multi-band compression added afterwards. I know the vocals are a little too loud but overall I think it turned out pretty good to be a live recording from a rehearsal place.

By the time we recorded this (last month) I was using FW 17.04, Marshall Super Lead 100W (Plexi 100W High) and OH Marshall 4x12 pre-rola's. G&L Telecaster with Fender Nocaster pickups. I never would've gotten this vintage sound with anything else than Axe-FX. I just love this unit! Thank you so much Fractal, keep it coming! :encouragement:

I can't wait to record these songs with FW 18 at a proper studio... and we have lots and lots of stuff to record.

So what do you think? I can share some patches if you want. I've already ported them to FW 18 ;) Cheers!

Last edited:
I like your vintage vibe ! please share your preset

Thank you!

Here you go: Axe-Change - Download Preset - MarSL100 Main - by aens

I replaced the IR with a stock cab so it might not sound the exact same. I currently use OH V3 4x12 Marshall pre-rola. I use MFC-101 with 4 scenes. Scene 1 is for cleans, scene 2 for rhythm, scene 3 for fuzz goodness and scene 4 for leads. I also do some X/Y switching with drive blocks, delay and phaser. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom