PSA: Great deal on a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard

I called my local Guitar Center and offered me a 2013 Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Cherry Sunburst for a little less than 1900 out the door. Not as good a deal... I'm not sure if it even is a good deal but I took it. Will pick up tomorrow. I could still return it I guess if I change my mind.

I called my local Guitar Center and offered me a 2013 Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Cherry Sunburst for a little less than 1900 out the door. Not as good a deal... I'm not sure if it even is a good deal but I took it. Will pick up tomorrow. I could still return it I guess if I change my mind.

It is a great deal. The $1299 offer was for a AA top.

Well I just noticed the tracking # I was given doesn't appear to be for me (going to a diff state). Also, my CC does not appear to have been charged so it looks like I wasn't so lucky after all...

Every order got canceled. I wager no one bought a new 2013 les paul standard for 1299. GC's way of fixing the problem is to say "...sorry it was all ready sold out".

story of my life…i bought one of these 2013 desert burst LPs 4 months ago and paid $1700 for it! at the time that was a great deal, but $1299 is just ridiculous! btw, i love the guitar!

$1299 is just ridiculous!

Erm... if you look through the thread, you'll see that it didn't actually happen either...
unsure.gif

Erm... if you look through the thread, you'll see that it didn't actually happen either...
unsure.gif
Actually, I did get them to honor it. I saw there were still some available after the smoke cleared, so I nicely inquired with the store that had cancelled my original order. They had one shipped to their store and then shipped it to me for the sale price. It was clearly a floor model and had fingerprints all over it...otherwise it's essentially new. As far as quality control goes...it leaves a bit to be desired, but no show stoppers.

Actually, I did get them to honor it. I saw there were still some available after the smoke cleared, so I nicely inquired with the store that had cancelled my original order. They had one shipped to their store and then shipped it to me for the sale price. It was clearly a floor model and had fingerprints all over it...otherwise it's essentially new. As far as quality control goes...it leaves a bit to be desired, but no show stoppers.

Mitch, can you please explain what issues you are referring to, regarding the Gibson's quality control on the guitar? I'm considering buying a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus and would like to know what to look for (and or ask about before purchasing). Thanks.

Mitch, can you please explain what issues you are referring to, regarding the Gibson's quality control on the guitar? I'm considering buying a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus and would like to know what to look for (and or ask about before purchasing). Thanks.
There is a very slight rise in the fretboard or frets where the neck meets the body on the bass side of the fretboard. From what I'm reading, this is sadly a somewhat common flaw. It may be solved by a slight fret releveling, but I'm not messing with it now as the action is plenty low without a problem. That may even be something that they'd fix under warranty. Other than that, the matching on the top is not the greatest, but that may be better if you're getting the plus model with AAA flame. I'm plenty happy with how it looks regardless. The nut was also poorly slotted and binding on the plain strings. This was easily resolved with a little sandpaper and graphite powder, but is still pretty pathetic for a guitar that is normally priced at $2600. I've bought couple hundred dollar guitars that don't have these issues, so it's disappointing that gibson can't get their shit together on simple stuff.

I don't want to give the wrong impression though....the guitar plays and sounds pretty great already and I haven't even fully dialed in the setup to my liking. The neck profile is very nice and I like that it's a compound radius fretboard. The coil taps are less dramatic than I expected, but still provide some nice subtle tonal options.

There is a very slight rise in the fretboard or frets where the neck meets the body on the bass side of the fretboard. From what I'm reading, this is sadly a somewhat common flaw.

Sometimes Gibson sets the Plek machine to random.

Back
Top Bottom