PSA: Don't get a Gator GR-3S rack case for your Axe-Fx III

Sorry I4mpi but I totally disagree with you, and find your post rather inappropriate. Just because YOU haven't figured out how to use the rack/cab properly doesn't mean EVERYBODY should avoid it.
To clarify I have no connection with Gator what-so-ever, but the fact that you had a difficult time with a very simple to use system says nothing IMO about the unit but more about you.

To use the rack without all the hoops you chose to jump through simply pick the holes you need to use for your piece of gear and pre-screw those screws before mounting the gear and all your problems are solved. You simply then back out the four screws and mount your gear, NO SWEAT, NO PROBLEMS, and NO reasonI totally to come on here and badmouth a piece of gear that works PERFECTLY well.

I was a Gator dealer for years and I agree with his post. You shouldn’t take it so personal 😉

Last edited:
not every gator case is like that. not sure why that one is still designed that way. the roto cases are solid rails with the holes directly in them, no plates.

with skb, people always complain about those clips.
I must be the odd man out. I liked the clip nuts on the old SKBs.

I just finished installing my Axe FX III into a Gator GR-3S rack and it was an excercise in frustration. Whoever designed this 3HE case did not seem to consider the use case of people actually wanting to put a single 3HE unit in there, because that's way harder than it should be.

From the racks I owned so far I know of two designs for the screw holes on the rails: either there are removable nuts or you have premade holes with threading for the screws. Not so in case of the GR-3S: the rails themselves just have unthreaded holes, the threading is on a second metal bar behind the actual rail - and this metal bar is only attached to the rails with a piece of double sided tape! Guess what happens when you remove all the screws on a rail and then try to screw one in again... right, the damn piece of metal falls off as the tape isn't even close to being enough to hold it in place.

This probably isn't problematic when using the case for 1HE or 2HE equipment as you can always have at least one screw per side screwed in. But for the Axe FX III this means I had to keep one screw in the top hole of each side to keep the metal bar in place, then insert the Axe FX, screw in the Axe FX with the bottom screws on both sides just a tiny bit, then unscrew the top screws and get them out (which is hard because the Axe FX is now already affixed on the bottom so you have just barely enough space to remove the screws if you wiggle the Axe in the perfect position), then screw in the bottom screws some more to try to get the metal bar aligned with the rail so that you can finally screw in the top screws.

What should take at most two minutes on a well designed rack took me roughly 30 here. The only good thing about this is that I will now never need to touch these screws again until I don't need the rack (or the Axe FX III) anymore.
I got the Gator case as I had a 2HE case for my Axe FX II XL and never had any issues with it (no idea what model but it's the same stlye as the GR-3S). That case also has the threading on a separate metal bar behind the rail, but here it is affixed to the rail with two rivets per side. Using tape instead of rivets probably saves a few cents in material and manufacturing cost but makes the product almost unusable.

If any of you happen to know the people who designed this piece of crap, please kindly punch them into the face for me. If not for the fact that I need a case today I would return it. I'm off to the rehearsal room trying to convert my built up rage into some riffs...
No joke look at this power Amp into a “free” 4-U I thought I was getting. If you twist it twists with rivet/washer that’s on those stupid little metal threadings of rack. If you try to hold both you and another person, then unscrew, nothing. Drill just strips it. Like whats the purpose? It’s on the bottom holes, it’s not going anywhere racked with regular screws lol

Attachments

• 635C6AB9-B47D-4CD5-B84C-B34C22C3CC65.jpeg
    635C6AB9-B47D-4CD5-B84C-B34C22C3CC65.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 17
  • E74B19CB-A218-4ECE-A70D-5CE140DA88FF.jpeg
    E74B19CB-A218-4ECE-A70D-5CE140DA88FF.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 16
I was a Gator dealer for years and I agree with his post. You shouldn’t take it so personal 😉
So buying a power amp that is immobile because of case you didn’t want is keeping you from using it as you intended isn’t personal or a waste of money? I’d say this is pretty poor craftsmanship, sorry not sorry

Attachments

• A0F4DEFD-43BD-466C-8148-77D3ACBADAA1.jpeg
    A0F4DEFD-43BD-466C-8148-77D3ACBADAA1.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 50F7A2B6-688B-473D-863E-4020336FAB2F.jpeg
    50F7A2B6-688B-473D-863E-4020336FAB2F.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 12
So buying a power amp that is immobile because of case you didn’t want is keeping you from using it as you intended isn’t personal or a waste of money? I’d say this is pretty poor craftsmanship, sorry not sorry
I used those racks with the clips for years and never had an issue.

First thing I see is that your rack ears are bent on the amp. Second is the your clip looks like it got ran over.

Neither of those is going to help things work correctly...

Are you saying you got it this way - the amp already in the rack?

Lil dab of crazy glue. 2min install. Great case.
I had a similar case, agreed on the bad design but I did exactly this crazy glue trick and went about my day happily.

Should I have to fix a brand new case? Nope.

Did it take me 10 seconds to fix the problem? Yep

Up to you - you can take it back, write up a huge rant and call up the manufacturer blowing expletives, or you can take a dab or crazy glue to it and move on with your life...

Sorry I4mpi but I totally disagree with you, and find your post rather inappropriate. Just because YOU haven't figured out how to use the rack/cab properly doesn't mean EVERYBODY should avoid it.
To clarify I have no connection with Gator what-so-ever, but the fact that you had a difficult time with a very simple to use system says nothing IMO about the unit but more about you.

To use the rack without all the hoops you chose to jump through simply pick the holes you need to use for your piece of gear and pre-screw those screws before mounting the gear and all your problems are solved. You simply then back out the four screws and mount your gear, NO SWEAT, NO PROBLEMS, and NO reason to come on here and badmouth a piece of gear that works PERFECTLY well.
Attacking the OP because he had a bad experience? This isn’t TGP you know.

I used those racks with the clips for years and never had an issue.

First thing I see is that your rack ears are bent on the amp. Second is the your clip looks like it got ran over.

Neither of those is going to help things work correctly...

Are you saying you got it this way - the amp already in the rack?
The case broke in half I finally just drilled off head and used pliers to get remaining cage out. It had shattered in half. I’m sure some people like them but just seem like an unnecessary accessory, plus you have to set them and it’s already a pain to rack, but I’m sure outside of the the racking amp world they can be off more use. Just not a good first experience for me

Back
Top Bottom