PRS out-Mesa'd Mesa Boogie PRS MT-100

I'll add a positive take. I was able to see Alter Bridge twice on tour this year. Mark is using the MT-100 live. I'll say from my experience at those shows that it sounded great to my 59 year-old ears. To be completely transparent, I am a Tremonti/Alter Bridge fanboy so I'm likely a bit biased. That said, I would not consider buying one as I already have a JP2C that I'm more than happy with when I want to scratch the real amp itch.

That said, I would not consider buying one as I already have a JP2C that I'm more than happy with when I want to scratch the real amp itch.
I have zero intentions of buying another amp, I have a Fillmore that's gathering dust sitting on top of my Axe. I was impressed how closely PRS was able to match the key sounds Tremonti uses, whatever came out of that amp in the demo sounds exactly like the records. Most people here don't seem to appreciate it but I really like how Mark sounds. Obviously the amp is essentially a mix of three "California style amps" so I'm pretty confident it's going to be possible to get pretty close with the models in the axe but I would love if someone with more experience than me figured out which model gets closest and which tweaks are necessary to do so.

I've only seen his solo band live, but while scooped it's not a flabby mess either. Tremonti is what you get when you take a kid with thrash instincts and raise him in the time of nu-metal. He goes bigger on the low end than a pure thrash guy, but still wants clank on the top end and certainly boosts the mids and the gain for his leads like a thrash kid.

Reminder re this amp: its half the sound of the band. The other amp(s) fill in the gaps.
This is key, they really do play as a unit. Critiquing his tone outside that "designed to pair" context is unhelpful. Even in his solo band he's got another guitar player.

Mark has a relentless right hand with a well controlled technique, great for all kinds of metal, and he's as good as the legends in that regard. I did a small circle clinic with him, stood two feet away while he played his PRS thru a Boss Cube. Yes his big rig sounds way better, but the power, control and speed was all there just the same in his playing.

I have zero intentions of buying another amp, I have a Fillmore that's gathering dust sitting on top of my Axe. I was impressed how closely PRS was able to match the key sounds Tremonti uses, whatever came out of that amp in the demo sounds exactly like the records. Most people here don't seem to appreciate it but I really like how Mark sounds. Obviously the amp is essentially a mix of three "California style amps" so I'm pretty confident it's going to be possible to get pretty close with the models in the axe but I would love if someone with more experience than me figured out which model gets closest and which tweaks are necessary to do so.
Dude, I love Mark's tones and playing as well. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone that's been able to get close to his sound with Fractal models.

I've only seen his solo band live, but while scooped it's not a flabby mess either. Tremonti is what you get when you take a kid with thrash instincts and raise him in the time of nu-metal. He goes bigger on the low end than a pure thrash guy, but still wants clank on the top end and certainly boosts the mids and the gain for his leads like a thrash kid.
Totally. As I mentioned earlier IMHO the lead channel is a "curated" version of his Triple Rectifier heads. The clean channel is clearly a Twin with some spices sprinkled on top, seems like it breaks up a tad earlier than a real twin. The crunch channel I haven't really identified what that is supposed to be, he said it sounds like his dumble but that's not very helpful cause they are all different.

I would like someone to help me figure out how to match it with the models in the axe. I wrote it in the very first message.
Start with the 5150 block letter and a drive from the tubescreamer family. Run the gain & bass high, mids lower than you think you should, treble & presence to taste, and depth all the way off. That'll get you in the ballpark.

I'm digging the mid character a lot more in this demo. Sounds fuller, even though he's got a lot more highs dialed in. Still getting that hard low cut more than I'd like to see. But then again that's a lot of KB's demos.

...think this is one of those I'm just going to have to hear in person. So far demos just kinda fall flat for me. Not bad but not exciting either.

Kyle is a buddy of mine, I’m meeting up with him this weekend to try it out. I’m hearing the same things you are…I’ll report back what it’s like in real life.

I would like someone to help me figure out how to match it with the models in the axe. I wrote it in the very first message.
Start with a PRS Archon model for Ch. 3. Fender Twin for Ch. 1. Channel 2 sounds like somewhere between a Bludotone & Dumble, but I'd need to hear more clips of it.

Back
Top Bottom