PRS out-Mesa'd Mesa Boogie PRS MT-100

@kplooksafterme Can you share a few of the demos that sounded better? I'm listening the the Kyle Bull demo and am liking how it sounds with drop tunings and a boost.

I'm digging the mid character a lot more in this demo. Sounds fuller, even though he's got a lot more highs dialed in. Still getting that hard low cut more than I'd like to see. But then again that's a lot of KB's demos.

...think this is one of those I'm just going to have to hear in person. So far demos just kinda fall flat for me. Not bad but not exciting either.

Just got to thinking after posting... I'm talking about adding EQs and getting all nuanced about shaping the amp... ah, maybe I'm just spoiled by being able to do all that with the AxeFx. Slap a tubescreamer in front of just about any tube amp, pick it up with a '57 and you get the same kind of clanky low & presence sizz.

I don’t know I have kind of gotten away from really tight amps and over the top gain
For the last year or so I have just become a huge fan of the Bogner XTC . It’s not overly tight like a VHT but I find it’s tight enough for hard rock and it’s fun and easy to play
For legato stuff your not fighting it

This amp had a lot of hype behind it and it kinda fell very flat for me. I dont like the "dumble" channel at all and the lead channel doesnt stand out very much. It has none of the modern features (midi, headphone jack, preamp out) for an amp in it's price rance. Getting an FM3 is a way better deal than buying this amp imo.

This amp had a lot of hype behind it and it kinda fell very flat for me. I dont like the "dumble" channel at all and the lead channel doesnt stand out very much. It has none of the modern features (midi, headphone jack, preamp out) for an amp in it's price rance. Getting an FM3 is a way better deal than buying this amp imo.

I understand the reasoning for the lack of features. Mark Tremonti seems very conscious of the fact that his average fan might never be able to afford a $3,500 amp. I think that's cool of him to keep that in mind, but the MT15 is already priced for the masses. Given that $1,849 isn't really that affordable it would have been nice to see a few additional features (like making the effects loop foot switchable and making the channels MIDI switchable) even if it put the price a little over $2,000.

I understand the reasoning for the lack of features. Mark Tremonti seems very conscious of the fact that his average fan might never be able to afford a $3,500 amp. I think that's cool of him to keep that in mind, but the MT15 is already priced for the masses. Given that $1,849 isn't really that affordable it would have been nice to see a few additional features (like making the effects loop foot switchable and making the channels MIDI switchable) even if it put the price a little over $2,000.
The loop switch and midi could have been included for the price its at.

If an amp has the sound I really like/want, the lack of those features won't stop me from getting it. While those features are indeed nice, I don't need every tool in the tool box to be a Swiss army knife. A couple hammers are fine.

Given the MT15, I am not entirely sure what people were expecting the MT100 to be. If that late 90s "nu-metal" drop tuned chug sound is your trip and you're in a position to utilize a 100 watt amplifier, I don't see how this wouldn't be on the radar.

The Archon is based on the 5150?

Sometime in the ancient roman empire Mike Soldano created the SLO-100. Mesa Boogie liked it so much they paired it with the cheapest output transformers they could plus a negative feedback toggle and created a flubby fizzy fire breathing Dual Rectifier SoLO (which becames the Rectifier line we know today). Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen knew he would sell way too many signature models to have Mike Soldano hand build them all, so Peavey took the SLO and designed the 5150. Then PRS saw how popular the Rectifier and 5150 were and build the Archon out of them.

I'm digging the mid character a lot more in this demo. Sounds fuller, even though he's got a lot more highs dialed in. Still getting that hard low cut more than I'd like to see. But then again that's a lot of KB's demos.

...think this is one of those I'm just going to have to hear in person. So far demos just kinda fall flat for me. Not bad but not exciting either.
It sounds great with the 7 string and EMGs, but I feel like you can get this kind of sound out of pretty much any modern high gain amp. I'd probably get an Engl or a 5150 instead. Except I'm not going to do that, because tube amps are a pain in the ass and I have an Axe III.

Back
Top Bottom