PRS out-Mesa'd Mesa Boogie PRS MT-100

luckymethod

Inspired
PRS with the MT-100 has made the amp everyone wanted from Mesa Boogie for the last 20 years and I'm really looking forward to the guides people will post on how to tweak a model in the axe to make it sound like one of those channels... Or I'll take the official model thank you very much Cliff 😘

I believe it's actually based on the Archon.
Yes, an even fancier 5150.

I don't get recto vibes from this at all, and that's where I spend most of my time. There's a lot of saturation I guess? But there's no thickness or depth here.

...hoping it's just the video or how that one's dialed in for the sake of everyone who pre-ordered.

the thickness/depth is the most prominent thing about that amp, lol.
paired with prs tremonti pickups, which are anything but thin sounding and mesa cabs, there is so much thickness you´ll puke from the amount of bass freq´s.

Yes, an even fancier 5150.

I don't get recto vibes from this at all, and that's where I spend most of my time. There's a lot of saturation I guess? But there's no thickness or depth here.

...hoping it's just the video or how that one's dialed in for the sake of everyone who pre-ordered.
The Archon is based on the 5150?

I don't love it to be honest , for the 5 years development, I think something like a Bogner sounds way better to my ears ,
even the cleans were just kind of sterile and thin , I love Tremonti and his old Creed Recto tones are huge , but this one kind of came off as generic hi gain amp . like a Blackstar , Hughes and and Kettner at least from the early clips

I don't love it to be honest , for the 5 years development, I think something like a Bogner sounds way better to my ears ,
even the cleans were just kind of sterile and thin , I love Tremonti and his old Creed Recto tones are huge , but this one kind of came off as generic hi gain amp . like a Blackstar , Hughes and and Kettner at least from the early clips
Listened to the video and came away with the same thoughts...even the high gain tones sounded underwhelming. Hmm...Would take an Uber or Recto over that for sure.

I think it sounds fabulous. Mark's demo wasn't spectacular, but other demos sound better IMO. All 3 channels sound fantastic. Would love this amp in the Axe, but we can probably get there.

the thickness/depth is the most prominent thing about that amp, lol.
paired with prs tremonti pickups, which are anything but thin sounding and mesa cabs, there is so much thickness you´ll puke from the amount of bass freq´s.
Nope, not doing it for me. There's a lot of low mids, but you can (I hope) hear the prominent clank in the palm mutes. You get that when you neuter the low end ~120hz. Try it with an EQ after pretty much any high gain model.

That said, you don't really want much going on in the low lows, but there's a right way to do it. With a narrow band put a solid boost just above your low cut. So, say you cut at 90hz, at 100hz (give or take) you see a spike.

This happens with amps that actually do the recto thing right... or modernized SLO. KSR, Omega, that kinda' stuff. Maintains clarity & cut, but palm mutes with a chunky thud.

Anyways, I dig Tremonti and he sounds heavy af live, so I'm holding out hope this is just a weakness in the demo, maybe it's how they mic'd... could be a lot of things. Listening to the demo again, I'm more convinced this is the case because of how he goes back to the cleans and now all of a sudden all of that clarity from the beginning is just gone. Sounds lo-fi like an old tweed, but not in a good way.

The MT15 is a bad ass little amp and sounds killer. I'm gonna wait until there are more clips / reviews to pass judgement on the bigger brother.

It seems like a perfect fit for a band like the Black Keys. I'd stay in the Boogie lineup for my money though.

Back
Top Bottom