PRS New Product Announcement

I never owned a Klon or even played a clone of one so I can’t say much, but it seemed the Horsemeat (uhg) has something going on that is nice. I was never a drive pedal guy. I used my amps for drive, when I started to juice the front end of a crunchy amp back years ago I first tried a Tube Screamer then Xotic came around with the AC, RC and BB preamp and that’s what is still on my board. The board I haven’t played through in a year and a half since getting the FM3.

P.S.
I just realized what was suppose to be a guitar related discussion has turned into a pedal discussion. I guess this isn’t the right forum. I was going to post this in the The Lounge, but was certain it would be about a RF signature.🤦‍♂️

A TS9 and one of the Xotics (can't remember which) were my first pedals, also to boost into a dirty amp. Whichever Xotic it was didn't stick around long...but I don't remember why I didn't like it. The various TSs I've owned all stuck around longer. I still own 3 of them (TS Mini, FD-1, and Overrated Special), plus the ones in the Fractal.

Klons, IMHO, don't make as good of a boost as a TS, at least into a dirty amp. For my taste.

It seems like the people who like Klons as boosts use amps that are just barely on the edge of breakup...I've heard people get great sounds that way with a lot of different amps. I run my amps dirtier than that and very rarely have my guitar volume on 10. I find it a lot easier to get the "boost" I want out of a TS than a Klon.

I keep going back and forth between a Fractal TS of some kind, one of my physical TSs, or just a PEQ block (with a curve based either on a TS or a Klon) with a bit of level combined with turning up my cab block a couple dB. Basically, I do like the frequency response of a Klon, but I don't like the way it compresses.

As far as the "something" going on....this is a good read (though also pretty technical): https://www.electrosmash.com/klon-centaur-analysis

They could do a vegan one that doesn't work called "Tofu."
Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(kidding; I actually really like that joke)

His portfolio must be pretty stout, which means he can take a gamble like this and lose money.
I was thinking a similar thing. Paul likes these designs all the way down to through hole components so much that he’s willing to lose if that is what happens. Although there are the shareholders and board to please which seems like they have most the power these days. However, I’m sure there’s a way that Paul could work out something.

Also once the social media malcontents settle down from their perceptual whine I think they’ll sell reasonably well. The only thing that could be an issue is the price. However, I’m waiting to see where other higher end pedals settle price wise in the next year or two.

Paul probably has a dozen of each stored away…😉

A TS9 and one of the Xotics (can't remember which) were my first pedals, also to boost into a dirty amp. Whichever Xotic it was didn't stick around long...but I don't remember why I didn't like it. The various TSs I've owned all stuck around longer. I still own 3 of them (TS Mini, FD-1, and Overrated Special), plus the ones in the Fractal.

Klons, IMHO, don't make as good of a boost as a TS, at least into a dirty amp. For my taste.

It seems like the people who like Klons as boosts use amps that are just barely on the edge of breakup...I've heard people get great sounds that way with a lot of different amps. I run my amps dirtier than that and very rarely have my guitar volume on 10. I find it a lot easier to get the "boost" I want out of a TS than a Klon.

I keep going back and forth between a Fractal TS of some kind, one of my physical TSs, or just a PEQ block (with a curve based either on a TS or a Klon) with a bit of level combined with turning up my cab block a couple dB. Basically, I do like the frequency response of a Klon, but I don't like the way it compresses.

As far as the "something" going on....this is a good read (though also pretty technical): https://www.electrosmash.com/klon-centaur-analysis

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(kidding; I actually really like that joke)
Cool article and website. Thanks for sharing.

I guess... I don't use pedals and have never really been a pedal guy. They sound good but nothing I would run out and have to buy. Like Paul said there are hundreds of petals out there it's such a personal thing. If I was in the market and didn't have any pedals I did like the sound of dual flanger the most out of the three. Why he didn't make a it a stereo pedal is miss but it did sound good.

Nice to see another PRS with 6100 fret size. Just need them to be stainless steel now. I've played a couple Paul made for Neal Schon with 6100 stainless and they were great.

Back
Top Bottom