PRS John McLaughlin signature model

Love John! But every PRS has always been overpriced IMO (yes I have tried many). This one in particular is obscenely overpriced (but again most are IMO).

Context: I have a kid starting college in the fall. But even if I didn't, I still wouldn't pay anywhere close to that. In fact, I wouldn't pay a quarter of that. If you are selective and know what you are doing, then PRS is the least value for your money.

There may be some 🔥's now ... But that's OK I have extremely thick skin.

Last edited:
Love John! But every PRS has always been overpriced IMO (yes I have tried many). This one in particular is obscenely overpriced (but again most are IMO).

Context: I have a kid starting college in the fall. But even if I didn't, I still wouldn't pay anywhere close to that. In fact, I wouldn't pay a quarter of that. If you are selective and know what you are doing, then PRS is the least value for your money.

There may be some 🔥's now ... But that's OK I have extremely thick skin.
it’s Private Stock. Every high end company have models in this range. You’re paying for more than the price of materials with these types of guitars. John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra was probably my biggest inspiration during my greatest development as a guitarist. Having said that I would never be able to afford this. Well unless I sold my 3 core PRS and added a few more hundred thousand to it.

Last edited:
Buying a new private stock is a flex.

I thought 7k CAD was high for a used one until i saw new was 12k at the time.

It’s a different price and tax bracket, these will sell im sure.

Speaking of materials, what is Hormigo? Looks close to Rosewood.

Those Celtic Knot inlays are amazing. The time that took paying a true artisan had to be a pretty penny.

Speaking of materials, what is Hormigo? Looks close to Rosewood.

Those Celtic Knot inlays are amazing. The time that took paying a true artisan had to a pretty penny.
I'm pretty certain they now, and have for some time, sub out their specialty inlay work to another company in MD.

it’s Private Stock. Every high end company have models in this range.

And every high end model in this range is overpriced IMO. PRS don't play any different than guitars that cost 1-2K if you know what to look for.

This may very well be the worst financial decision a person can make at this present time.😉

I think you could select and select and not find a guitar with a hand written signature of JM on it.

Not for this kid. She will be studying Aerospace Engineering at one of the top 5 schools in the country for that field. She also already works as a paid intern for a household name aerospace company. She is already building spacecraft for that company and she has already published scientific papers in journals.

She did get a partial scholarship - so it will probably come out paying for about half. Hopefully the other half will get picked up the company she is working for. They offer tuition assistance after she works there for a year.

I'm so proud of her!

🎶 Her future is so bright she has to wear :cool:

And every high end model in this range is overpriced IMO. PRS don't play any different than guitars that cost 1-2K if you know what to look for.
But that’s not what you said initially. You comment sure sounded exclusive to PRS.

Also, I would beg to differ about guitars in the 1 to 2k. I have a very nice Schecter that cost $1300 (now $1495). Like I said it’s nice and playable, but it’s nothing like my Rosewood neck (non stained) Gabon Ebony fretboard 2016 Custom 24. The stock trem has a big hunk of brass for the block. The tuners are superior, etc. Most of all is was made right here in America. Like all things of quality you pay most for that last 20% of quality.

Her future is so bright she has to wear 😎
You hope…and you should be proud. Also, please make sure she understands that it’s her responsibility to pay for the rest of her education. Not the tax payer.

Wonder what Timbuk 3 would have to say about this “future”. That song was written in 1986 when the there was still some hope left.

But that’s not what you said initially. You comment sure sounded exclusive to PRS.

Also, I would beg to differ about guitars in the 1 to 2k. I have a very nice Schecter that cost $1300 (now $1495). Like I said it’s nice and playable, but it’s nothing like my Rosewood neck (non stained) Gabon Ebony fretboard 2016 Custom 24. The stock trem has a big hunk of brass for the block. The tuners are superior, etc. Most of all is was made right here in America. Like all things of quality you pay most for that last 20% of quality.

It was exclusive to PRS. Every single one of them is overpriced IMO. I sound just as good on my $700 Godin, or my $1800 Ibanez, or my $1300 Schecter. A PRS doesn't make anyone a better player and it doesn't sound any better than a good solid midrange guitar either. I have plenty of very expensive guitars - but they are just expensive because now they are vintage. They weren't expensive when I bought them.

Obviously plenty of peeps are willing to spend on a PRS. Bottom line if you are happy with your PRS purchases then good for you. I would always opt for buying 2 nice midrange guitars for the price of one PRS. And I could easily afford a PRS if I wanted one (even with a kid in college). So it isn't the money that bothers me. It is the missing value proposition.

Also, I was never much of a Kool-aid drinker! ;)

You hope…and you should be proud. Also, please make sure she understands that it’s her responsibility to pay for the rest of her education. Not the tax payer.

Wonder what Timbuk 3 would have to say about this “future”. That song was written in 1986 when the there was still some hope left.

How do you propose that we compete with nations whose kids get free college? We aren't educating enough STEM workers to keep up. If that trend continues that will certainly make the future dark.

Sorry you feel hopeless. Sounds like you need some sunshine in your world. I hope you find some.

Back
Top Bottom