PRS Guitars

Tonemeister

Experienced
I am intrigued by PRS guitars. I had one back in the early 90's but I can't remember why I got rid of it. It was before I knew how to tweak tone. I remember it was really "dark" sounding. Anyway, I am wondering what you all think is the best PRS in the $700-$1500 range. New or used?

For what I like, I would suggest a used McCarty or DGT (in the top of your $ range typically). I played PRSi starting back in '92 and I had a gold top standard I gigged regularly and never really bonded with. I find some of the McCarty's and definitely the DGTs are much closer to what I wanted that old standard to be. I'll also say that I find 1 out of every 5-8 PRS I try, I like enough to consider a keeper. So it depends on how picky you are.. A friend has an early McCarty I would love to own.. best PRS I've played to date, which is quite a few.

I used to be a huge Gibson guy, but then I tried a couple PRS guitars out, and now I own 3 of them- A P22, Modern Eagle Quatro, and Stripped 58. They're all amazing guitars, great quality and workmanship. In case you're interested, Guitar Center is blowing out all their PRS stock, and you can get some insane deals, that's how I got my Stripped 58. Here's the link GuitarCenter

I've been playing PRS guitars since the early 90's. I was co-owner of the original official PRS Forum. I've owned about 30 or so PRS guitars over the years. I currently have two (see my avatar for my SC).

You can find 'player' condition used USA made PRS guitars in your price range; that'd be my suggestion. Their line has evolved quite a bit since especially the mid 00's; with the import SE and newer S2 versions (sort of stripped down hybrid USA/Import). The 80's stuff and early 90's stuff is getting into 'vintage mode' aka $$$$$$$$$$; but the mid 90's stuff is still affordable used (especially stuff like the CE bolt-on range) right now. If you can forgo some of the more cosmetic stuff, moons and a solid color or gold top CE or CE22 are great values used, though many have some miles on them (which I prefer).

Personally, I know what I like from them (22 fret models, old school Wide-Fat neck profile, etc), what I don't like from them (ie. most of the pickups through the newer generation stuff) and if you have specific questions - just send me a PM.

I've been playing PRS guitars since the early 90's. I was co-owner of the original official PRS Forum. I've owned about 30 or so PRS guitars over the years. I currently have two (see my avatar for my SC).

You can find 'player' condition used USA made PRS guitars in your price range; that'd be my suggestion. Their line has evolved quite a bit since especially the mid 00's; with the import SE and newer S2 versions (sort of stripped down hybrid USA/Import). The 80's stuff and early 90's stuff is getting into 'vintage mode' aka $$$$$$$$$$; but the mid 90's stuff is still affordable used (especially stuff like the CE bolt-on range) right now. If you can forgo some of the more cosmetic stuff, moons and a solid color or gold top CE or CE22 are great values used, though many have some miles on them (which I prefer).

Personally, I know what I like from them (22 fret models, old school Wide-Fat neck profile, etc), what I don't like from them (ie. most of the pickups through the newer generation stuff) and if you have specific questions - just send me a PM.

Thanks. I probably will PM you then because I do have a bunch of questions.

Make sure you check out gc's prs clearance before buying any! Huge blowout on pre guitars, gc in boston still had a few last week. I bought my brand new custom 24 in teal 2 weeks ago on the clearance for 1400.

I had a few PM's about what I like and don't like regarding PRS. Thought I'd share this part of my answer 'out here':

I'd recommend looking for used CE22 (the 22 fret models have the "22" in the name often) because the 22 fret models of PRS come with the Wide-Fat (now called "Pattern"). But they started the "pattern" thing about 5 years ago or so. Prior to that time, Wide-Fat is what you'd probably feel more at home with. The CE line were the bolt-on maple necks with rosewood fingerboards and if you don't need the tremolo, they can be affordable = between $700 - $1200 depending on the condition and appointments (birds are fairly rare in the CE line).

My favorite PRS is the Custom 22. It's a set-neck 22 fretter. I *love* the mid-90's models and mine is a beat to hell 1995 gold-top with moons (USA PRS guitars have 'birds' or 'moons' for fretboard inlays). I hate PRS pickups up until about 2008; anything you like in a Gibson works great in a PRS. The PRS 'thing' is sort of a hybrid 'in-between' Gibson and Fender. They have a 25" scale and never have the 'authoritative bass' that Gibson brings to the table; but they have shimmer and ring that many of the Gibson's do not have. They don't have shimmer and ring like Fender; but they have a lot more ass than any Fender. I love the chameleon nature of them - it is unique, it fits any band context where the other guitarist uses most anything else. I play with guys that play strats/teles/Les Pauls and I *always* fit the mix.

I always recommend using Tone Pros locking studs on the stop tail's; if you play 9's or 10's the 'normal' wrap around bridge is intonated right on the money. The old wing'ed tuners are a bit to get; but I love them. But they have a learning curve. The Custom 22's work great with most any pickups just depending on your taste - from PAF to hot rod stuff. I bought my beat up gold top (which needed some TCL, but it is a freaking insane player/tone machine) for $1100 a few years ago. Deals like that on player grade used PRS guitars can be found. I have a Afwayu bridge from Motor City Pickups and a Jazz neck from Seymour Duncan.

I do like the original Dragon 1 pickups (mid-90's) but they are hot and prone to being shrill through some amps. I have come to really like the #7 pickups in my 2001 Singlecut (I liked them in the original 201 I owned back in the day and I like it even now on the current one I have). Regarding the OP, he's a Gibson guy so the SC stuff probably won't appeal to him. I only bring it up because they were the exception to my 'I hate a lot of early PRS pickups'.

Have fun. Everything here is just my opinion, nothing more.

I used to be a huge Gibson guy, but then I tried a couple PRS guitars out, and now I own 3 of them- A P22, Modern Eagle Quatro, and Stripped 58. They're all amazing guitars, great quality and workmanship. In case you're interested, Guitar Center is blowing out all their PRS stock, and you can get some insane deals, that's how I got my Stripped 58. Here's the link GuitarCenter
Jeez I tried this link but there are no links to the different on sale items. I can't make sense of anything.

Sevenstringer is selling a used (but man it looks pristine), USA-made Mira for $700 on here -- that's a HELLUVA deal for a USA-made PRS. It's a bit of a weird combination: 25" scale, but 24 frets and 'buckers. Truly a mutt as guitars go. But a nice guitar.

No affiliation with Sevenstringer myself. I've just been eyeing up that ad. If I wasn't moving in a few weeks I'd have a new Mira in my hands...

when you say SC you mean Single Cut?

Sorry; yes. Acronyms rule the day. ;)

Jeez I tried this link but there are no links to the different on sale items. I can't make sense of anything.

That sale was to blow out any 2012 and prior model year PRS's still hanging around. There are some out there still; but there's no direct links to them on the GC site. Best bet is to call the local GC and ask first.

Sevenstringer is selling a used (but man it looks pristine), USA-made Mira for $700 on here -- that's a HELLUVA deal for a USA-made PRS. It's a bit of a weird combination: 25" scale, but 24 frets and 'buckers. Truly a mutt as guitars go. But a nice guitar.

No affiliation with Sevenstringer myself. I've just been eyeing up that ad. If I wasn't moving in a few weeks I'd have a new Mira in my hands...
Saw that. Thanks. I just don't find the look of the Mira appealing unfortunately for me.

I'll put in another vote for the McCarty models - I have had 4 (out of 7 PRSs), and they were all delicious. I got rid of two of them because (I know it sounds stupid) but they were just too pretty to play. I still have what I call the 'ugly sisters' 8) - a tobacco burst plain McCarty, and a Gold Top Soapbar that I had converted to mini-humbuckers. The latter is now an amazing guitar, with the neck HB @ 5k and the bridge at about 12k. Neck sounds almost single coil! And of course, I love the coil tapping in the other McCarty.

The McCarty's have more depth that the 22's, 24's, and others of their ilk because of the deeper mahogany body. I don't care for the thinner bodies, nor do I like those that use the knob for pickup selection.

I also have a Single Cut which I love, and it's what I ended up with after about a year of Les Paul envy. Tried the 'perfect' Les Paul (wine red, gold hardware) and it was awful. The weight and balance was all wrong, the neck pickup sounded like mud, and the fit and finish was dicey. The dealer put a PRS in my hands and that was the end of the story.

There's lots of used PRS out there for sale if you look. A used US-built model for $1500- $2000 is not out of the question. and you can get something stupid good in the $2000 - $3000 range used.

To add to what Scott said, they are astoundingly well built, and the company really got it together after 2008 when they stepped up their game a notch and figured out how to make really good pickups. Older PRS pickups were great for amps with gainy preamps like a Boogie and not so great with vintage-style amps.

But the post-2008 pickups like the 57/08, 57/09, and 53/10 are all fantastic for any kind of amp (model!). They're meant for you to drive the amp from the switches and knobs on the guitar. With the Trainwreck, supertweed, Friedman, and Plexi models in the Axe-II, I get fantastic results going from dirty to clean with just the pot on the guitar. It's a beautiful thing!

Other notes: the rotary switches that some people hated are gone, and so are the winged tuners. The new Phase 3 tuners (used since 2012) are freakishly good even though they have scary-looking exposed gears. Their piezo system is great, both on the hollow and sold body guitars. The new S2 series is US-built and costs about $1200 brand new.

It's up to you whether you like the neck shape and heel, but a lot of things that people used to gripe about have been changed.

Back
Top Bottom