PRS Guitars Question

Is yours glossy or does it feel like unfinished wood?
It looks like it has a very light finish on it but feels almost like it is raw wood. I am wondering if it is like the finish on the maple neck on my PRS SAS. That had a light satin nitro finish on it. That finish has become shiny from playing it. I haven't put enough play time on this guitar to see if it will make the neck get shiny. It took a while on the SAS for that to happen.

594SC is the closest.

That said, if you want a les paul buy a les paul. There are differences.

I have a number of core and above PRS guitars. I have the DGT, 594 and SC-58. None of them are exactly like a Les Paul in sound or feel. For comparison I also have 2 Les Paul guitars, a Standard and a Traditional.

IMHO the core guitars are way above the SE line in every way. There is a reason they a lot more expensive. I bought my first PRS in 2006. I have never sold any of the ones I have bought. I own more than my fair share of them.

What was it about the Les Paul that you had that you are trying to get from the PRS?

To add my two cents, I’d agree with this. I have a few Les Paul’s, including an R8 and was looking at getting an R9, but went for a core 594 McCarty instead, just for something different. Plus it was about half the price of an R9.
It’s an incredible guitar in literally every way and I’ll never sell it, but it isn’t a Les Paul. Similar, but different enough, if that makes sense. If I could only keep one, it would be the R8 every time.
The PRS is a work of art though.

F94D4DEE-64CF-49A2-8D02-3CC214A3B01F.jpeg

To add my two cents, I’d agree with this. I have a few Les Paul’s, including an R8 and was looking at getting an R9, but went for a core 594 McCarty instead, just for something different. Plus it was about half the price of an R9.
It’s an incredible guitar in literally every way and I’ll never sell it, but it isn’t a Les Paul. Similar, but different enough, if that makes sense. If I could only keep one, it would be the R8 every time.

View attachment 120851
Just wondering what R8 and R9 are. I haven't heard those designations before your port.

It looks like it has a very light finish on it but feels almost like it is raw wood. I am wondering if it is like the finish on the maple neck on my PRS SAS. That had a light satin nitro finish on it. That finish has become shiny from playing it. I haven't put enough play time on this guitar to see if it will make the neck get shiny. It took a while on the SAS for that to happen.
I really love the feel of this finish and am wondering if this is what PRS is doing for all of their guitars. A lot of my earlier PRS guitars had gloss necks. My last one had what felt like a raw Brazilian rosewood neck.

I can over-simplify the difference between my LP and 594… The 594 is perfect and upgraded in many ways but my LP has a low end punch that’s more visceral than aural.

I can over-simplify the difference between my LP and 594… The 594 is perfect and upgraded in many ways but my LP has a low end punch that’s more visceral than aural.
I don’t own a 594, but that has been my experience with them in general too. I’m always looking at getting a 594 or DGT, but I’m drawn to the low mid impact of the Les Paul (and at Canadian prices, I could buy two great LPs for the cost of one core PRS).

My dream guitar would probably be with the Les Paul sound with the 594’s enhancements, and I kinda wish that the modern Les Pauls would more strongly embrace that approach.

I really love the feel of this finish and am wondering if this is what PRS is doing for all of their guitars. A lot of my earlier PRS guitars had gloss necks. My last one had what felt like a raw Brazilian rosewood neck.

The difference could be in the pickups. I had issues with the output level of the pickups in my 594. They were also on the brighter side, which I like. However, when switching guitars at gigs the volume difference was too big for me. I swapped the pickup for a set of 57/08 pickups, which are my favorite PRS pickups. This resolved the issue I had and the guitar gained a little girth in the tone with the new pickups.

I don’t own a 594, but that has been my experience with them in general too. I’m always looking at getting a 594 or DGT, but I’m drawn to the low mid impact of the Les Paul (and at Canadian prices, I could buy two great LPs for the cost of one core PRS).

My dream guitar would probably be with the Les Paul sound with the 594’s enhancements, and I kinda wish that the modern Les Pauls would more strongly embrace that approach.
I have a 594 double cut and a DGT. I would recommend playing both before you buy either. They are both fantastic guitars that cover a lot of ground. However, they are very different from one another. The neck profiles are different as well as the pickups. Then there is the obvious, one has a trem and the other has a stop tail.

View attachment 120851

This thread made me realise that I hadn't played this guitar for a few weeks, so fired it up tonight with some Marshall presets and Sweet Child O' Mine does it feel and sound good. I still maintain it's not a Les Paul, but shit the bed it's an incredible guitar. I haven't had time to play anything since last weekend, but this just fits like a glove and is so easy to play. It absolutely oozes quality.
Maybe it's the double cut, but after jamming along with Acca Dacca, I was thinking this might be more SG than LP. Maybe?
I don't own an SG and actually don't think I've ever even played one, but it definitely sounds more AC/DC than my LPs. Thankfully, I'm able to have both. contented sigh

Fwiw they do make the odd wraptail dgt.

594s leave the factory with larger frets than les pauls. If you find a refretted lp for sale, theres a good chance it has larger frets. Hilariously thats part of why I sold my 594 semi hollow - I was very used to the Gibsons after a bit.

Fwiw they do make the odd wraptail dgt.

594s leave the factory with larger frets than les pauls. If you find a refretted lp for sale, theres a good chance it has larger frets. Hilariously thats part of why I sold my 594 semi hollow - I was very used to the Gibsons after a bit.

The difference in frets between them definitely doesn't bother me. All of my guitars have different frets on them, I think. At least to me, it just becomes part of the guitar and isn't a big deal.

The difference in frets between them definitely doesn't bother me. All of my guitars have different frets on them, I think. At least to me, it just becomes part of the guitar and isn't a big deal.
Oh it wasnt a make or break, more like “oh well thats interesting”. I just wanted to go back to les pauls, which I did.

Following up on my initial question(s) on PRS guitars:
I was initially looking for a guitar to replace the Goldtop LP I sold long ago in the 1970's. Not sure what year model it was, but I think maybe a 1960's. I have regretted selling that guitar for a long, long time. My desire is a combination of looking for the sound and the look and feel. Which takes me to my search today. I currently have three electric guitars, all Warmoth builds, and all with Fralin pickups. One is a "strat" with single coils, one is a "Tele" thinline with HH configuration, and split coils, and one is a "Tele" with Tele bridge pickup, and a Fralin P92 neck pickup. I am very happy with all of them but looking for something that more closely resembles my old LP. I looked at LP's a while back in the shop and didn't like them much. This brings me to PRS which I have been interested in since Santana, and David Grissom, both starting back in the earlier 1990's.
A few questions here:
(1) Singlecut of course is LP like, but from a playing perspective I am not sure it matters, or for that matter whether it is "better". What are your experiences and opinions on this?
(2) I would love a DGT but prefer an S2. Core would be great but it is above my comfort range for a guitar purchase.
(3) Since there is no S2 DGT, and since I really prefer a hardtail anyway, I lean towards the S2 McCarty. Here my question is whether in the S2 product line, this is the "best" LP alternative?

I wish I could afford a Core model but I just can't get myself to go to four to five thousand dollars for one guitar. This will likely not be my last purchase, and for this purchase I do prefer a name brand guitar. I am very happy with my Warmoth builds, but want to add a name brand to my collection.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful input.

If you want a les paul, buy a les paul. Buying a PRS will give you a great guitar, but it will not give you a goldotp les paul. It will take time to find the "right" les paul by the sounds if it, but that's an endeavour worth following through.

Look for a used les paul standard goldtop 2019 or later (they went back to no weight relief among other changes). You'll probably need to try a few. If you find the neck of those too fat, look for older les paul classic goldtops.

Following up on my initial question(s) on PRS guitars:
I was initially looking for a guitar to replace the Goldtop LP I sold long ago in the 1970's. Not sure what year model it was, but I think maybe a 1960's. I have regretted selling that guitar for a long, long time. My desire is a combination of looking for the sound and the look and feel. Which takes me to my search today. I currently have three electric guitars, all Warmoth builds, and all with Fralin pickups. One is a "strat" with single coils, one is a "Tele" thinline with HH configuration, and split coils, and one is a "Tele" with Tele bridge pickup, and a Fralin P92 neck pickup. I am very happy with all of them but looking for something that more closely resembles my old LP. I looked at LP's a while back in the shop and didn't like them much. This brings me to PRS which I have been interested in since Santana, and David Grissom, both starting back in the earlier 1990's.
A few questions here:
(1) Singlecut of course is LP like, but from a playing perspective I am not sure it matters, or for that matter whether it is "better". What are your experiences and opinions on this?
(2) I would love a DGT but prefer an S2. Core would be great but it is above my comfort range for a guitar purchase.
(3) Since there is no S2 DGT, and since I really prefer a hardtail anyway, I lean towards the S2 McCarty. Here my question is whether in the S2 product line, this is the "best" LP alternative?

I wish I could afford a Core model but I just can't get myself to go to four to five thousand dollars for one guitar. This will likely not be my last purchase, and for this purchase I do prefer a name brand guitar. I am very happy with my Warmoth builds, but want to add a name brand to my collection.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful input.
Probably the S2 McCarty singlecut. One listed in Green on Reverb with pickups upgraded to the 57/08’s. https://reverb.com/item/68967728-pr...9.M-OixerLvKVMGTTgxnYoeWHnj6X_h4Lvz28hn6AzAZE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom