PRS Guitars Question

I have a number of core and above PRS guitars. I have the DGT, 594 and SC-58. None of them are exactly like a Les Paul in sound or feel. For comparison I also have 2 Les Paul guitars, a Standard and a Traditional.

IMHO the core guitars are way above the SE line in every way. There is a reason they a lot more expensive. I bought my first PRS in 2006. I have never sold any of the ones I have bought. I own more than my fair share of them.

What was it about the Les Paul that you had that you are trying to get from the PRS?

I have a number of core and above PRS guitars. I have the DGT, 594 and SC-58. None of them are exactly like a Les Paul in sound or feel. For comparison I also have 2 Les Paul guitars, a Standard and a Traditional.

IMHO the core guitars are way above the SE line in every way. There is a reason they a lot more expensive. I bought my first PRS in 2006. I have never sold any of the ones I have bought. I own more than my fair share of them.

What was it about the Les Paul that you had that you are trying to get from the PRS?
Good question! My preference is a singlecut with good sustain. I would consider a doublecut such as the DGT though. But truthfully, it is a bit hard to define what I am looking for. This likely doesn't help but it is the vintage sound and also the look and feel. Of course I wish I could just get an older LP, even a somewhat beat up one, but they are just out of my price range. I did look at the new ones and just didn't like the finish on them. To shiny for my taste, looked like they were plastic.
I would love a core PRS but unlike most of the commenters here, I just don't have the budget to spend thousands of dollars on one guitar, let alone several.

Good question! My preference is a singlecut with good sustain. I would consider a doublecut such as the DGT though. But truthfully, it is a bit hard to define what I am looking for. This likely doesn't help but it is the vintage sound and also the look and feel. Of course I wish I could just get an older LP, even a somewhat beat up one, but they are just out of my price range. I did look at the new ones and just didn't like the finish on them. To shiny for my taste, looked like they were plastic.
I would love a core PRS but unlike most of the commenters here, I just don't have the budget to spend thousands of dollars on one guitar, let alone several.
From that description, I would probably go with the SE 594 SC.
https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_mccarty_594_singlecut_2023

They designed this guitar and pickups to be like an old Les Paul. The comparisons that I saw before I bought my 594 between the single cut and double cut showed that they pretty much sounded the same whether it was a single or double cut body. The pickups are wound with less winds to brighten them up and provide more detail in the sound of them. I liked the ones in mine but when switching between guitars at gigs there was too much of a volume drop when switching to this guitar for my taste. I swapped my pickups out for 57/08 pickups, which are my favorite PRS pickup and I have them in a number of my PRS guitars.

I am more than happy to try to answer any questions you may have on this list of PRS models. They are all a little bit different. Depending on what your budget is there may be something in their lineup that can get you where you want to go.

Look at the S2s. They're still expensive, but IMHO S2 is closer to Core than SE in quality with a price closer to SE than Core. The big difference between SE and Core is that the top carve is a bit sharper and less rounded...plus Korean electronics that (I believe) are the same in the S2 and SE. It's easy to swap out pickups if you're not happy...if you want to swap out the push/pull tone knobs, they're metric...so the guitar needs to be reamed to take imperial spec knobs. I had my tech do that on mine (because I've damaged guitars trying in the past...and didn't want to hurt this one).

IDK if it's a specific date range or just the way they are, but mine has a couple small chips in the finish and more wear on the back than my other guitars....all from nothing specific. It doesn't bother me, but it is wearing differently than I expected. The finish is really thin. I think mine is in the first year or two of them switching all the USA guitars to a nitro blend. It's very much shiny but not plastic-y like a lot of modern poly finishes....which is fine. Vintage guitars are not anything like the fake vintage matte finish a lot of people use....at least, none of the ones I've seen are like that.

FWIW....Gibson USA, despite claiming to use nitro, does at least a poly top coat. One of the shops near me damaged someone's guitar with their Plek machine. They bought him a new one to replace it (they sell Gibson Custom but not Gibson USA), and he's fine with it. But, they decided to try to relic the one they damaged instead of putting money into fixing it and then having to re-sell it at a discount, and they had a LOT of problems getting the top coat off so they could do the relic-ing without damaging it.

That's why they feel like that. I can't find the truth out of a bunch of people saying different things, but it seems like you're not allowed to use pure nitrocellulose in the US and basically everyone claiming to use nitro is using a blend...or the operation is small enough that OSHA/etc haven't noticed them. Or I've been lied to. Or it's just the aging/relicing. Or any combination. I really don't know the truth of it....but modern "nitro" finished guitars don't look the same as the vintage ones I've played either, even comparing an un-aged modern guitar to pristine closet classics.

ETA: whatever the finish actually is, the finish on my LP Standard doesn't bother me. I'm really not worried about it. The neck is neither bare nor sticky; it looks great; and it doesn't feel like plastic to me, at least not the way Epiphones, G&Ls, and cheaper Fenders/Squiers do. Maybe I'm just not that picky.

I hear you on the budget. Nothing wrong with having a budget and sticking to it. Yes some people have a ton of cash for guitars. Good for them. I think most people on the forum buy more average type guitars but you don’t see them in NGD posts.

I paid for my SE DGT gold top and going to wait for it. But you can buy the maple veneered top versions right now on reverb. I also considered the SE 594 and after reading up I was thinking I would need to swap pickups. Like @JasonE mentions above about the 85/15’s. So there’s another $200-400 on the guitar. The consensus on the SE version of the DGT pickups is that they are excellent. There’s some videos with guys playing both core and SE and it’s hard to hear a difference. It’s like a LP except it’s a 25” scale and double cut, plus the trem. Also has a volume for each pickup, but only 1 tone. So not really a LP. I used to want one really bad. Went to find one and brought home a PRS. That’s my only high dollar guitar. Haha my wife about had a heart attack.

My preference is a singlecut with good sustain. I would consider a doublecut such as the DGT though.
The reason the majority of PRS bodies are double cutaways is ergonomics. They balance really well, they reduce the weight a little and the access to the upper neck is easier.

The overall sound is similar to a Les Paul if the pickups are based on humbuckers and the body is a mahogany with maple cap and the neck scale is 24.245. Over the years Gibson wandered through variations of the pickups and construction so there’s no one definitive “Les Paul” sound anymore, and as a result the various PRS fall into the same ballpark as long as the neck and pickups and construction are similar.

The DGT sounds an awful lot like a late 50s Les Paul because of the pickups and body wood, but with a bit more upper end clarity. Grissom and PRS talk about how they spent years fine tuning the sound adjusting the pickups but I think the final sound is still tied to the body and neck also. Those particular pickups are only available on that model; it’s a special combination that works really well. Grissom was very influenced by Duane Allman, and this guitar really comes close to that sound.

The SC245 is much closer to the typical Les Paul design and sound. I bought mine because I wanted a “Les Paul” with the PRS balance and neck profile, I wanted a good PAF sound, and I’m a sucker for bound necks. :) It has the 58/15 TM pickups which do a good job, good enough that I’m not inclined to replace them. The guitar has a bright sustained sound when unplugged, probably because it’s a stop tailpiece. The bridge pickup tends to feedback which I suspect is due to the springs so I’m going to switch to surgical tubing during the next string change.

All that is to say that PRS has a bunch of different guitar models that fit in the Gibson/Les Paul sound and they can all work depending on your concept of how a Les Paul sounds. I love the feel and consistency and quality of their work, the sound is easily as good as any of the Gibsons I used to have, and I am entertained by the quality of the wood they use for even the “average” core guitars.

Years ago I had several ES guitars, including an early 345 with PAFs, and wanted to find something with that softer sound, and got a good deal on a used PRS Special 22 Semi-hollow. It has the 58/15 MT pickups and is right up there with the DGT as a favorite. It’s much lighter but still gets the 335 sound, almost a Les Paul sound, but sounds very much like a Strat when I split the pickups.

I have two other PRS, a Studio with the two Narrowfield pickups and a Humbucker, and a 509. They’re more Strat-like, but again, they’re really a pleasure to play.

I haven’t had an urge to buy any more PRS. I’m actually thinning my herd, slowly, and will be selling my Fender Strat and a Strat-alike I built, both being replaced by the Xotic I mentioned elsewhere and the last three PRS I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Studio with the two Narrowfield pickups and a Humbucker

I really want to play a Studio. Nowhere near me has one....which is probably for the best. I've got the money, but I really shouldn't spend it on that right now...there are other things that keep calling my name.

I really want to play a Studio. Nowhere near me has one....which is probably for the best. I've got the money, but I really shouldn't spend it on that right now...there are other things that keep calling my name.
It's a blast. The closest guitar I can imagine to it is a SSH with P90s, but it's different too. Turned down it sounds very much like a Strat, it quacks like one very nicely. Turned up it's fat, not like Les Paul fat, but in the ballpark, maybe closer to a Les Paul Deluxe with the mini-humbuckers, but with its own thing too. It's got a great rock voicing.

It's a blast. The closest guitar I can imagine to it is a SSH with P90s, but it's different too. Turned down it sounds very much like a Strat, it quacks like one very nicely. Turned up it's fat, not like Les Paul fat, but in the ballpark, maybe closer to a Les Paul Deluxe with the mini-humbuckers, but with its own thing too. It's got a great rock voicing.

That sounds a lot like what I like about my 594...kinda LP qualities but with its own thing going on. I also have really liked the 70s Deluxes I've played...just not enough to buy one.

Based on the ones I've played, I don't think a PRS will ever be my #1...but I really like several of them.

I'm not a Gibson expert but was looking for LP style. I have a Gibson which is great but my PRS S2 594 I love much more. It's certainly close enough for an LP I'd say. I looked at the SC 594 and much preferred the DC594. It just had more 'heft' to the tone to me and seems to resonate better in my comparisons. Unless you're totally stuck on a SC form factor don't ignore the DC. I just took my 594 outside yesterday for a little photo..speaking of.

Attachments

• PRS594.jpg
    PRS594.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
I'm not a Gibson expert but was looking for LP style. I have a Gibson which is great but my PRS S2 594 I love much more. It's certainly close enough for an LP I'd say. I looked at the SC 594 and much preferred the DC594. It just had more 'heft' to the tone to me and seems to resonate better in my comparisons. Unless you're totally stuck on a SC form factor don't ignore the DC. I just took my 594 outside yesterday for a little photo..speaking of.
One of my favorite PRS finishes. Nice guitar!

Back
Top Bottom