PRS finish clouding question

fcs101

Axe-Master
I keep an eye out for PRS 513s. Most of those are ~2010 +/-. Anyway, I just watched this video explaining that pre-2015 PRS's may develop clouding issues in the finish (I stress "may"). I had never heard this was a potential problem before but had seen at least one on Reverb saying there was clouding in the finish. I'm just wondering if any of you have knowledge of this? Is there any info as to statistical probability to cloud? Calling @Greg Ferguson ! ;)

One other interesting claim is that due to PRS using organic blue dyes, anything with blue will eventually fade (you can delay it by limiting exposure to sunlight). The clouding issue has reportedly been fixed, but the blue dye/fading issue persists.

I keep an eye out for PRS 513s. Most of those are ~2010 +/-. Anyway, I just watched this video explaining that pre-2015 PRS's may develop clouding issues in the finish (I stress "may"). I had never heard this was a potential problem before but had seen at least one on Reverb saying there was clouding in the finish. I'm just wondering if any of you have knowledge of this? Is there any info as to statistical probability to cloud? Calling @Greg Ferguson ! ;)

One other interesting claim is that due to PRS using organic blue dyes, anything with blue will eventually fade (you can delay it by limiting exposure to sunlight). The clouding issue has reportedly been fixed, but the blue dye/fading issue persists.

I don’t know. None of mine are green, blue, or anything in between.

I have several from ‘08 on, in other colors and none have any clouding problems.

I had a blue matteo hollowbody with clouding, 09 model year iirc.

My green custom 22 didnt but it was black back and neck.

Its just cosmetic so if seeing it isnt killing you, save some money lol.

I had a blue matteo hollowbody with clouding, 09 model year iirc.

My green custom 22 didnt but it was black back and neck.

Its just cosmetic so if seeing it isnt killing you, save some money lol.
Yeah, he says that (it's purely cosmetic) and you can save some money in negotiating. He also exhibits one of his 50! PRS's that is almost completely clouded over; he calls it "Ghost". The guy is a PRS fan. I think he's more troubled with the fading of blue. He mentions that the very cool looking Northern Lights color will eventually fade to violet. I'm suspecting it's happened to him.

Yes, the PRS blues can fade quite a bit, although sometimes the results can be rather stunning. The color of this P22 from 2012 is listed as being Faded Blue Jean. You can see more of the blue coloring in the area under the strings and between the pickups in the 1st pic. Some of the original blue can also be seen underneath the pickup rings in the 2nd pic.
IMG_2725.jpegIMG_3774.jpeg

Yes, the PRS blues can fade quite a bit, although sometimes the results can be rather stunning. The color of this P22 from 2012 is listed as being Faded Blue Jean. You can see more of the blue coloring in the area under the strings and between the pickups in the 1st pic. Some of the original blue can also be seen underneath the pickup rings in the 2nd pic.
View attachment 138076View attachment 138077
The new result is great. But its kinda frustrating to see the original color below the rings.

i personally have a '07 Whale blue CU22 and a '06 Emerald SC Trem. Both have not faded or changed color. Ive heard that most of the issues with PRS green and blue was from like 2011-2018ish. But its all dependent on where the guitar is stored and how much UV exposure it gets generally

Adèle is violet, but the fadey blue is leaving her more of a mauve shade. Spots here and there you can still see the blue, most notably where the strap hangs, and right next to where the neck joins the body on the wound string side:
20240404_092802.jpg

20240404_092743.jpg

Adèle's birthday is in June 2014.

What's left of the blue is hard to capture with a camera. When I saw the guitar on G-Brats' site, I thought the finish was a mauve/pink, and when I picked her up, then realized she had the faint blue that made the finish violet. Totally a non-issue, and Adèle is one of my favorites. Thankfully my room has very limited UV via the window blinds' leakage, so the finish will likely fade much more slowly into looking more like these photos IRL....

St. Evergreen, behind Adèle, has some serious clouding. His birthday was in June, 2010, if memory serves....

There have been issues from time to time with some PRS finishes clouding and/or spalling. I remember the 2012-2013-ish "V12" finish process being particularly problematic. I've bought about one PRS per year since 2001, and I have just one (a 2012 Studio) that shows finish problems along the neck. I haven't cared enough to try to have it repaired.

Not all PRS blue finishes fade. Some do. I have ten of them in the blue-green-purple family, again going back to 2001 and only one of them (the aforementioned '12 Studio) has faded. They all get treated about the same, and spend some months per year on a wall hanger that gets indirect sunlight.

There have been issues from time to time with some PRS finishes clouding and/or spalling. I remember the 2012-2013-ish "V12" finish process being particularly problematic. I've bought about one PRS per year since 2001, and I have just one (a 2012 Studio) that shows finish problems along the neck. I haven't cared enough to try to have it repaired.

Not all PRS blue finishes fade. Some do. I have ten of them in the blue-green-purple family, again going back to 2001 and only one of them (the aforementioned '12 Studio) has faded. They all get treated about the same, and spend some months per year on a wall hanger that gets indirect sunlight.
I did digging and “V12” has been the finish name for a long time, turns out its moreso specific years.

I vote find one ya like and play the frets off it.

Short of sending the guitar back to PRS for a refinish (not really practical for me, as I live in the UK), does anyone know of a way to remove the clouding?

I have a 20th anniversary Custom 22 that has the finish clouding issue (which was my first PRS, so it has a lot of sentimental value to me). The clouding has occurred on the tips of the body horns and around the neck / heel joint. There's no sign of the stain colour on the top fading, but the clouding appears to be an issue with the clear coat?

I've read online that heating the affected area with a hairdryer can reverse / reduce the clouding process, but I've never tried it.

Has anyone had the same issue and managed to resolve it?

Attachments

• Cu22.jpg
    Cu22.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 31
Short of sending the guitar back to PRS for a refinish (not really practical for me, as I live in the UK), does anyone know of a way to remove the clouding?

I have a 20th anniversary Custom 22 that has the finish clouding issue (which was my first PRS, so it has a lot of sentimental value to me). The clouding has occurred on the tips of the body horns and around the neck / heel joint. There's no sign of the stain colour on the top fading, but the clouding appears to be an issue with the clear coat?

I've read online that heating the affected area with a hairdryer can reverse / reduce the clouding process, but I've never tried it.

Has anyone had the same issue and managed to resolve it?
Is it a Nitro finish? If so i've had success lightly wet sanding back and then respraying with another Nitro clear top coat which will blend into the existing and release the trapped moisture. Not sure about using a heat gun on it as the moisture needs to escape.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - it sounds like I'm going to have to live with it, but thought it was worth asking in case someone had an easy silver bullet to fix it.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - it sounds like I'm going to have to live with it, but thought it was worth asking in case someone had an easy silver bullet to fix it.
I say put a "9" sticker on it and then sell it as a one off PRS Cloud Nine Bespoke guitar ;~))

I have been into PRS guitars since 2006. I own 14 core models, some with artist packages. Out of those guitars, I had one that the finish clouded on. It was a V12 finish. PRS had me send it to them for inspection. They refinished it with the new nitro finish they are using. This is a 2011 guitar that they refinished a couple of years ago for me. The clouding has happened to a small percentage of their guitars with all of the various finishes they have used. I had some discussion with the guy in that video about the clouding when mine happened. My person case pretty much went against everything he said causes the issue. Once the clouding starts, it will continue to get worse. Applying heat hasn't worked in any of the cases I have seen people do it. A refinish is really the only way to fix it. One more thing I happened to remember is that the clouding seems to happen more on clear natural finishes than it does on colors. The one of mine that had the issue has a natural back.

As for fading, I have two blue PRS guitars. One is a 2006 that is Whale Blue. The other is a 2016 that is a custom color names Blue Fire Mist. Neither of my guitars has faded. Some blue colors had more fading issues. Matteo blue is one that I have seen fade as well as Royal Blue. One of these had a natural back and the other was stained blue. The back doesn't seem to fade on them. It is only the maple top that I have seen fade. It also doesn't happen to every guitar that is that color.

Back
Top Bottom