Prs archon mini game : helix or axe ? (With results page 3)

When you A\B two modelers, you choose the one that sounds best to you. This is not the Axe approach which is to accurately capture what the real amp sounds like.
They are both at noon . I mean . When the helix is always mocked and bullied everywhere, it’s not like hearing the difference between an axe or a boss gt1000 in the same amp. These guys are not totally as####### in modeling.

They are both at noon . I mean . When the helix is always mocked and bullied everywhere, it’s not like hearing the difference between an axe or a boss gt1000 in the same amp. These guys are not totally as####### in modeling.
Never said they were. The question right now is which sounds better - A or B. But what’s missing is the reference amp and then asking which sounds more accurate.

Yeah the classic recordings we all love don’t have super polished tone. That’s why the axe replicating amps warts and all is so valuable. Ideally you shouldn’t be able to tell if it’s a modeller or an amp in a recording, and certainly not live. That’s the trap in picking apart tones with close, critical listening: nobody will notice except us guitar nerds.

But it’s fun, and we’re guitarists, and it’s great to be able to nerd out to the finer points of our sounds, and great having a platform that allows such deep tweaking is awesome.

As long as nobody gets too religious about it!

This is funny that in 2000’s and now etc, music seems to be only about tone, and everyone listen to it through microscopic speakers 20 seconds, because there is a lot of others free music to listen too.
Ah that used to drive me nuts as a teacher when kids would do that. They’d be like hey mr, listen to this song! I’d listen, and about 10-15 seconds in they’d change it.

When you A\B two modelers, you choose the one that sounds best to you. This is not the Axe approach which is to accurately capture what the real amp sounds like.
Line6 is equally working to make their amp models sound like their reference amps. So are other companies.

You can find a lot of clips like the OP online where if listened with a good audio setup, they can sound pretty close with only subtle differences. This is good for us end users because it means we can pick whichever modeler we like and get great results out of it. I certainly have, having owned almost every Fractal model, Line6 Helix and QC. That's pretty awesome.

In these threads you tend to see people picking the "wrong" option (the device they don't own) and then backpedaling or putting out whataboutism to discredit the results. Just don't do that. There is no harm in admitting a particular clip was more to your liking than what you own.

Let's say you go to a guitar store and can try 3 different Marshall type amps through the same 4x12 Greenback cab. A Marshall, Bogner and Friedman. You are likely to find that one of these sounds best to you, in that room, with that cab, with a specific volume level and settings. Does that mean the others are not good? No, it just means you have a preference. Same thing with modelers.

My only modelers are Fractal because I feel they are the best compromise for me right now. No modeler is perfect, you pick which compromises work for you based on a variety of factors. If I could design a modeler it would be some hybrid combining features from Fractal, Line6 and NeuralDSP into one compact box.

Line6 is equally working to make their amp models sound like their reference amps. So are other companies.

You can find a lot of clips like the OP online where if listened with a good audio setup, they can sound pretty close with only subtle differences. This is good for us end users because it means we can pick whichever modeler we like and get great results out of it. I certainly have, having owned almost every Fractal model, Line6 Helix and QC. That's pretty awesome.

In these threads you tend to see people picking the "wrong" option (the device they don't own) and then backpedaling or putting out whataboutism to discredit the results. Just don't do that. There is no harm in admitting a particular clip was more to your liking than what you own.

Let's say you go to a guitar store and can try 3 different Marshall type amps through the same 4x12 Greenback cab. A Marshall, Bogner and Friedman. You are likely to find that one of these sounds best to you, in that room, with that cab, with a specific volume level and settings. Does that mean the others are not good? No, it just means you have a preference. Same thing with modelers.

My only modelers are Fractal because I feel they are the best compromise for me right now. No modeler is perfect, you pick which compromises work for you based on a variety of factors. If I could design a modeler it would be some hybrid combining features from Fractal, Line6 and NeuralDSP into one compact box.
When I am in a music store and pick one of 3 amps, I am selecting an actual amp. When I select a modeler I am personally looking to get the one that best replicated the tone of that amp. The way to know would be to listen to the amp and then listen to the modeler and select the one that is closest. Here we have no reference so it is at best a guess. In the ToneX, QC, Kemper video doing the rounds the reviewer makes a comment to the effect that he likes the Tx as in some cases it sounds better than the real amp. I don’t want the Axe to sound better than the real amp. I want it to sound as close as possible to it.

When I am in a music store and pick one of 3 amps, I am selecting an actual amp. When I select a modeler I am personally looking to get the one that best replicated the tone of that amp. The way to know would be to listen to the amp and then listen to the modeler and select the one that is closest. Here we have no reference so it is at best a guess. In the ToneX, QC, Kemper video doing the rounds the reviewer makes a comment to the effect that he likes the Tx as in some cases it sounds better than the real amp. I don’t want the Axe to sound better than the real amp. I want it to sound as close as possible to it.
The only real amp that I own is a JP2c, and there is no JP2c in the helix

The crowd : « booooooooooo! »

But they have the fireball, invective, generator …

The crowd : »silence »

🤣

The only real amp that I own is a JP2c, and there is no JP2c in the helix

The crowd : « booooooooooo! »

But they have the fireball, invective, generator …

The crowd : »silence »

🤣
I am not sure of your point. If you want the sound of a JP2c in a modelor then you would buy one that has the most accurate representation of that amp. Or stick with the real thing. If you want a fireball, invective, generator (not sure what that/those is/are) you get something else. But to play 2 clips and ask people which is the Axe, most people will select the one that sounds best to them and then end up with people saying bummer because they guessed wrong. Without an amp to compare to it is just a guess. Compare it to the real amp and then if you prefer the Helix or Kemper or ToneX or any of the other hundred of products then you can make a more informed choice. I’m out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom