Proper etiquette between 2 guitarists?

Hmm, funny... Didn't think I'd be the last one to chime in here after my laptop went down. All I needed was a HD cable, $82 and back in business, but I also had the RAM increased to 8G and updated to High Siera.

So I guess it's not a bad thing that I revive this thread, I'm still interested in what more people have to say. ;)

Like has been said.. Communicate. A person needs to know what parts they are playing so they are not standing all over each other. As to tempo, that's on the guitarist IMO.. If there are no unexpected curves to a cover - how hard is it to pick-up or slow-down to a tempo, or catch up to a missed beat etc.

Made me laugh, somebody mentioned volume.. ...I turned up to a practice one time with my usual, a Hughes and Kettner 100w combo, and the new guy we were auditioning shows up with a Marshall Half-stack. I stood not one chance!! :D ...Much like your good self, I just stepped back and let him carry for that first practice, then we talked about who was doing what and got our levels taken care of. It was kinda cool actually - he could play all the technical stuff much better then I ever could, but really stumbled on the slow stuff, so we kinda complimented each other. We ended up being a pretty-good team. I played my solos in my songs, his in his, he played the more technical solos in covers, me the slower stuff, that kinda thing. Really worked out. Broadened our ability to perform a wider variety of sets. That guy taught me a bunch of stuff too.

It all comes down to communication though. Except the tempo thing.. Not being able to adjust to tempo? That might worry me a little ...But, yes.. occasionally, doing what you did. taking a step back and playing a supporting role and stepping in when necessary.. is just doing what you gottsa do.

Communicate is the right answer.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've gotten along with *almost* every guitarist that I've played with. The reasons for success were pretty simple looking back at it:
1. We talked about each of our roles in each song.
2. We made an effort to divide up the solos that spoke to that guitarist's strengths (don't ask for a Randy Rhodes solo when you're more Clapton.)
3. Were HUMBLE about playing with each other. In other words glad for them to have the spotlight (Dynamics here.)

IMO you can tell on the 1st song whether someone will work out or not. I can't tell you how many auditions I've been in where a guitarist had the attitude that you're playing the backing track while while they wail away. Noodling over vocals, drowning out keyboard solo's...you get the idea.

Oh, the *almost* were always guitarists that were not very good...but wasn't in a position to either say something, or move them on.

This speaks more to the overall success of the band as a whole but clearly defined roles for each player and in turn, each player understanding and accepting their role. I normally play on a church worship team and we rotate players so there will typically be 2 or 3 different bands in a given month. We use the department to develop musicians as well, so when a guitarist, for example, shows growth and proficiency, they'll be given an opportunity to play lead and the usual lead player will fill the rhythm spot. This has created a more team oriented environment and removed ego from the equation. We want to see each other excel and be successful.

I suppose the point would be to take the communication a bit further and sit down with the band and define the roles as a team. A good leader will desire this and be willing to check their ego as well, keeping the success of the band and the other members the primary focus. From there, it's up to each player to accept their role as defined or find another band that gives them the role they want. You may not get to do what you want all the time but hey, you're on stage playing in a band!

Parts should be worked out by the people running the audition. In advance. "Here, you play this part for this song, and you will play this part for the other part of the song. When we play this song we want you to do this part and you over there, when the song gets to this section, this part is yours."

That will establish a few things. First, if you listen well and do what you're asked, congratulations, you are a team player and take instruction well. Second, you are versatile and can play different roles within your role as one of the guitarists. It will also establish how you interact with the other guitarists in the band and him or her with you.

Hopefully, if this is a serious band, they already have a set list which they will share with you and expect you to be somewhat proficient at the songs on the list.

If this is not how an audition goes, all bets are off. Volume wars, playing over each other, playing a song different ways...nothing will sound good or in sync. Proceed with caution.

I'm in a 2-guitar band, but I only play electric and the other guy only plays acoustic, so it's usually pretty easy to decide who's playing which parts. And the two of us have been good friends since the late 1970s.

Where it gets (only slightly) tricky for us is the fact that many years ago I was his guitar teacher, and I'm still more experienced and proficient than he is. There's still a certain amount of teacher/student dynamic happening between us. He's strictly a basic strummer, and really has no desire to learn new techniques. There are times when I'll suggest that he try to play a part a certain way, and if it's outside of his current skill set, he'll try it once and give up on it. I don't let it get to me...I just move on and cover what I can from my side of the stage.

I decided to move away from this band invite. Too much Ethanol / Tetrahydrocannabinol to be a productive project.
Thanks for all the input guy's. If the chance arises again for a 2 gitter band, I'll refer back to this thread, for sure.

Simple:
Band leader: "Let's do _______________" (insert song title)
You: "Who do you want to take the solo?"
Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom